Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with the new Formula Dynamics sport springs. I have only had them on a couple weeks and driven 125 miles or so, loving every minute of the ride and taking corners faster and under more control than ever.

This weekend I finally got the chance to go to Autocross with the springs!!!:)

At the last event I ran very consistently 5 seconds or so slower than friends in evos and Elises. But this week was a different story. With the sport springs I did not have to deal with body roll and the car was much faster through the turns and ran the course so smooth I was able to match many evo times and come within 1 second almost every run of the Lotus driver who was consistently 5 seconds or more ahead of me last time.

It is the single best mod I have done on the car yet. I can not believe how really poorly these cars handle in stock form compared to having the right spring setup.

I can't wait to see what my times are like when I actually have my new tires and are not on worn out rears!!

Robb

·
Registered
22 Posts
Springs

Robb,

Thanks for the post. This is the only real feedback I've seen on FD springs. How is the street ride now? Is it too harsh compared to the factory springs? I'm looking for a good cross over solution for track/autocross as well as non-jarring ride quality when on the street.

Thanks,

Gregg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
greggp said:
Robb,

Thanks for the post. This is the only real feedback I've seen on FD springs. How is the street ride now? Is it too harsh compared to the factory springs? I'm looking for a good cross over solution for track/autocross as well as non-jarring ride quality when on the street.

Thanks,

Gregg

Gregg,
I am really enjoying the new FD springs. As of last week I finally got my 19s on with fresh Bridgstone REO1 R Tires. I thought that the car handled great with just the springs, but now it is a cornering monster. I find myself getting a little too aggressive on the street passing cars at triple thier speeds on tight double lane curves and roundabouts.

As far as street comfort goes, the stock skyhook springs would transmit the smallest cracks and pleats in the road as an uncomfortable harshness which was followed by a less than desirable soggy wiggle. THis is now gone with the FD springs and although the crack will still be felt, it is a clean translation to the driver and feel is only the crack, not the after wiggle which makes performance driving a lot less concerning.

It took 100 miles or so for the skyhook to adjust and learn the new springs which seemed softer at first. Now the car has control over them and promotes an aggressive ride typical of your higher end race bred street car.

If you are taking the car to the track at all, this is a must. the stock car is a slush bucket compared to the responsiveness of the FD equipped car.

I was actually contemplating selling my Rati for a 996 TT, but I am so pleased with its performance now I can not.

Robb

·
Registered
22 Posts
FD Springs

Robb,

Thanks for the reply. My only problem now, is that I have a car that doesn't have Skyhook, so I think I'm going to need to have custom springs made. Do you know the compression ratio of your springs?

Another quick hint for handling that I learned from some Porsche racing guys is to tighten up the existing Sway Bar on the car. They did this to mine by drilling holes 1 inch further into the edge of the bar and it tightened up the front end. Now any oversteer is virturally eliminitated, unless you are trying to aggressively cause it. It cost me about $135 to do this and I think that with new springs would make this car dangerous.

I took my car to Homestead race track yesterday and ran faster than anyone in the novice group. The car's engine and F1 system make it a beast on the straights. Even a Lambo Gallardo couldn't shake me and I ended up beating him on the turns because I was taking a better line. The body roll was present and if I could just get rid of this, I would be in heaven.

We'd be driving Ferrari 575's with V8 360 Modena engines for 1/2 the price, with rear seats to boot!!!

Gregg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
greggp said:
Robb,

Thanks for the reply. My only problem now, is that I have a car that doesn't have Skyhook, so I think I'm going to need to have custom springs made. Do you know the compression ratio of your springs?

Another quick hint for handling that I learned from some Porsche racing guys is to tighten up the existing Sway Bar on the car. They did this to mine by drilling holes 1 inch further into the edge of the bar and it tightened up the front end. Now any oversteer is virturally eliminitated, unless you are trying to aggressively cause it. It cost me about $135 to do this and I think that with new springs would make this car dangerous.

I took my car to Homestead race track yesterday and ran faster than anyone in the novice group. The car's engine and F1 system make it a beast on the straights. Even a Lambo Gallardo couldn't shake me and I ended up beating him on the turns because I was taking a better line. The body roll was present and if I could just get rid of this, I would be in heaven.

We'd be driving Ferrari 575's with V8 360 Modena engines for 1/2 the price, with rear seats to boot!!!

Gregg
Contact Formula Dynamics as I know they are in development and will soon have the Non Skyhook springs ready. Better to let them do the work and all the R+D testing for you.

I have no more need for handling modification other than getting a 295 or 305 rear tire out back to help with the straight line traction in 2nd and 3rd.

its a new car on the track. I would also suggest dumping the mich pilot sports for Bridgstone Reo 1R. they have an R compound and make so much differece.

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts