Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My recent battery issues have got me thinking that it could be a power drain problem rather than battery problem.

I have been living with a side mirror that seems to be moving up by itself for a year... every morning I drive the car, I find the mirror is pointing at the sky and I have to adjust it downwards.... It seems to happen if I park it for long hours. It MAY also be happening as I drive the car, but it's hard to be sure since I don't drive for more than 45min a trip....

It doesn't seem to be related to driving over bumps. It is time related. The more time passes, the more the mirror is pointing at the sky.....

Gremlin?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Extremely common gremlin. Mine only does it after a wash the car. Not coincidence. If I wash the car, then I look forward to having at least a day of haywire side mirrors (drivers side typically). It has been like that for years.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Extremely common gremlin. Mine only does it after a wash the car. Not coincidence. If I wash the car, then I look forward to having at least a day of haywire side mirrors (drivers side typically). It has been like that for years.
It's bloody annoying. I basically need to adjust the mirror twice a day...

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Yes it is. Mine does it periodically, but consistently does it just after washing the car. Put the car in 1st or reverse and the drivers mirror moves to the sky. This tells me that something is exposed in the mirror assembly causing the fault.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
What happens when it does that & you toggle between two seat memory buttons? Does the mirror go back where you want it without readjustment?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I've never used the memory function. It seems to move only when I put it into gear, 1st or R. And, only within 24 hours of a car wash.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Sometimes my mirror seems to forget where I set it in reverse. Catman2 & Twintrbo showed me that toggling between 2 seat memory positions caused the mirror to remember where I had set it in reverse without my having to reposition the mirror. FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
Which mirror? Driver or passenger?

In any event doing a seat reset (which also resets the mirrors) and then setting the mirrors into your preferred memory location may well help

C

4,007 Posts
Inside the the mirror itself you have feedback potentiometers that send back a signal to the module to record the position...The pots can be faulty and there is water entering a harness connector...You could remove the mirror glass and inspect the internals and possibly just swap the motor/pot assembly from a scrap mirror..Valeo is the one that makes most of these mirrors so I have actually used Jaguar stuff to fix a Maserati in the past....Jason

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I replaced with new mirrors (entire assemblies) but I still have the problem (if you remember, my new ones are silver rather than blue). It's only after the mirror itself gets wet. When I wash the car, I try to avoid that area and the mirror operates fine.

I've just learned to chalk it up on the Maserati wall of shame with the rest of the issues that, for some reason, don't seem to bother me lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts