Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Anyone experienced a good kit that automatically fold the side mirrors of my GrandCab when I closed the doors via the remote ?

Any recommendations are welcome.
Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
This might be the best option:

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,259 Posts
You can also just turn the mirror switch to the bottom and they’ll fold
That button feels as if it’s by far the most fragile thing in the entire car, so feeble to the touch on any adjustment of the side view mirrors it gives you the sense that it‘s just waiting to break along with the entire mechanism the next time you touch it . I have left my mirrors alone for over six years now because of that paranoia :oops::cautious:. A system which automatically folds them in might be somewhat compelling ..

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,259 Posts
that thing feels soo flimsy that it would break if i messed with it too often..
would have been cool to have our GT mirrors close when locking the car
hahaha, posts sent almost simultaneously, didn’t see yours while typing mine .. but exactly the same thought 😎

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
393 Posts
That button feels as if it’s by far the most fragile thing in the entire car, so feeble to the touch on any adjustment of the side view mirrors it gives you the sense that it‘s just waiting to break along with the entire mechanism the next time you touch it . I have left my mirrors alone for over six years now because of that paranoia :oops::cautious:. A system which automatically folds them in might be somewhat compelling ..
I think this would/should be simple to do with a basic relay switch. Something worth investigating.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,259 Posts
You can actually use the knob to fold them. Then after you remove the key you can set the knob to the first unfold position. It will unfold the mirrors once you put the key back in and turn to ignition/start.
Well, at least that’s half of what we’re trying to achieve so pretty good to know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm the guy that made the sportsmaserati post having fitted auto folding door mirrors to my GT (I'm sure the cabrio will be exactly the same). Not difficult to do and cost about £10 (under $15).

Doesn't change how the current switch works - but adds the folding of mirrors when you remote lock the car and unfolding when you unlock it.

Any questions - just ask.

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,259 Posts
I'm the guy that made the sportsmaserati post having fitted auto folding door mirrors to my GT (I'm sure the cabrio will be exactly the same). Not difficult to do and cost about £10 (under $15).
Doesn't change how the current switch works - but adds the folding of mirrors when you remote lock the car and unfolding when you unlock it.
Any questions - just ask.
I just read the thread on the other forum. Brilliant work ! (y)
Not something I’d be able to do myself, since I’m completely inept when it comes to these kind of things, but for anyone technically - mechanically inclined this project may be rather simple ( after reading your posts / instructions ) but if it takes a couple of hours, for me that translates to about $ 500 at my IM’s shop, so now all I have to figure out is if the automatic folding mirrors is worth that cost..I’m thinking it may be, just a bit “ on the fence “ about it at the moment ..:unsure:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just read the thread on the other forum. Brilliant work ! (y)
Not something I’d be able to do myself, since I’m completely inept when it comes to these kind of things, but for anyone technically - mechanically inclined this project may be rather simple ( after reading your posts / instructions ) but if it takes a couple of hours, for me that translates to about $ 500 at my IM’s shop, so now all I have to figure out is if the automatic folding mirrors is worth that cost..I’m thinking it may be, just a bit “ on the fence “ about it at the moment ..:unsure:
I'm no mechanic and I managed it.
The hardest part was working out which wires did what which are now documented in the post. With that knowledge the only bit that takes time is to remove the door card and that isn't difficult - just a few clips and bolts. Then join the wires and bingo!!!

I was amazed that nobody had done this before but, after over a year, it still works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,259 Posts
And by “card“ I presume that means the entire panel, not just some segment / trim piece of that panel that can be removed separately to access the wires, right ? ( I don’t see anything that might pop out in portions, just the whole cover ). :unsure:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Its the whole of the door. I think the hardest part are the tweeter housings. They tend to break a clip. You have to loosen the top and then pull it out in a straight line for both bottom clips to detach.

Also the trim piece below the armhandle is best removed by loosening outside en bottom clip and then pullig it down. Its quite secure in the top metal clip (i suppose to prevent rattling).

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,259 Posts
Cool.
And as far as being amazed that no one has done this before ( that we know of on this forum anyway ..) how about being amazed that Maserati hasn’t produced the car with this feature ?These are not small mirrors...and if parking the car often on narrow streets in Europe, saving one from fiddling with that button all the time would be a huge bonus, IMO , but anywhere else really , it’s just a convenience thing ..so for a large luxury car it’s unusual and actually surprising that Maserati hasn’t added that . IMO ..

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
1,074 Posts
I'm no mechanic and I managed it.
The hardest part was working out which wires did what which are now documented in the post. With that knowledge the only bit that takes time is to remove the door card and that isn't difficult - just a few clips and bolts. Then join the wires and bingo!!!

I was amazed that nobody had done this before but, after over a year, it still works perfectly.

Documented in which post?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts