Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the color breakdown for the wires coming off the amp for a coupe with auditorium 200?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Nothing you would not be able to do with a multimeter... :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Am about to start doing some audio changes to my auditorium 200 myself and would be grateful for the info if you had it, will save a bit of trial and error. Also, exactly where is the amp located. Haven't looked yet but thought it was by the CD multi changer in the boot, but may be wrong. Many thanks.

Carl

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I would also like to know whatever you come up with.

What I know about the coupe/spyder....

The navigation/radio/GSM phone/speech recognition, etc is a Magneti-Marelli unit stuffed in the center console. It's a single unit known as an infotelematic system. It communicates with the nav screen via a proprietary CAN bus and RGB interface. M-M chose the very simple Blaupunkt control interface for the trunk-mounted CD changer (nothing else in the car uses this protocol). The Dennison Ipod converter connects to the CDC connector and emulates the CDC. There is no way to display text via this interface so CD/track numbers is all you get. This sucks for satellite radio integration as all you would get is channel number (but you'd still get the dash controls and direct audio connection). There are companies that integrate to the QP units as posted elsewhere on the board but none for the coupe/spyder that I know of. I would very much like to design a fully integrated unit that connects directly to the CAN bus and can display text on the NAV screen. Rather than totally reinventing the wheel, I would like to build a protocol converter that connects to an Alpine Vehicle Hub. IF ANYONE KNOWS THAT THIS ALREADY EXISTS PLEASE STOP ME!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll grab my notes when I'm back in my office.

The amp itself is located behind the battery. Just remove the battery and you can't miss it. I tapped into the system downstream of the amp (before it splits in to the speaker runs. It doesn't appear to be x'd over from the amp, but I used a LC6i from Audio control with internal channel summing to make sure I was pulling a full range signal. It's a bit of overkill, but if I decide to continue to upgrade, the LC6i provides a solid platform.

Your idea for the fully integrated unit w/ the Alpine VH Pro sounds like a solid ticket. Would then be able to pull in Sat, Alpine's nav, ipod, etc.

·
Registered
660 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
I would also like to know whatever you come up with.

What I know about the coupe/spyder....

The navigation/radio/GSM phone/speech recognition, etc is a Magneti-Marelli unit stuffed in the center console. It's a single unit known as an infotelematic system. It communicates with the nav screen via a proprietary CAN bus and RGB interface. M-M chose the very simple Blaupunkt control interface for the trunk-mounted CD changer (nothing else in the car uses this protocol). The Dennison Ipod converter connects to the CDC connector and emulates the CDC. There is no way to display text via this interface so CD/track numbers is all you get. This sucks for satellite radio integration as all you would get is channel number (but you'd still get the dash controls and direct audio connection). There are companies that integrate to the QP units as posted elsewhere on the board but none for the coupe/spyder that I know of. I would very much like to design a fully integrated unit that connects directly to the CAN bus and can display text on the NAV screen. Rather than totally reinventing the wheel, I would like to build a protocol converter that connects to an Alpine Vehicle Hub. IF ANYONE KNOWS THAT THIS ALREADY EXISTS PLEASE STOP ME!!!!!
Buzz,

Nope, there is NO INTEGRATION MODULE made for the Coupe. If you recall the circuitry I sent you, it was from the effort of an Italian enthusiast who tried to integrate outside feeds to the MM unit using the console display. In fact, the MM unit is THE SAME as the one used for some Fiat models and I think (but memory may falter me at this moment) the Lancia Phedra. In theory it can be done, just needs someone to do it. Of course neither MM (nor Maserati) would give you details on how to do it, and all (reliable+available) information comes from the hardwork of some lunatic Italians who love to see TV on their cars :D

For me, the key integration features would be 3rd party SatNav (as OEM sucks) and DVD, maybe IPod but I'm not an IPod fan anyway. But reckon if you crack the MM CAN you would be able to do more. Hope what I sent you gives you some guidance into the right track.

I'll give you my thumbs-up to go ahead. Will PM you some links to Italian car electronic suppliers who do all sorts of things for OEM integration (they are the most advanced in the field) save, unfortunately, for the Maser Coupe.

Ed

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've got a local guy that has a unit that will give you video and audio-ins to the nav screen of the coupe. (he has a similar piece for the QP that also integrates bluetooth I believe)

I've had one coupe that had a switch in it to flip over to an aftermarket alpine nav unit as well. He couldn't use the stock controls, but the display went through the main screen.

Talk to Andre at Streamline audio
T 952-944-3262
C 651-324-7229

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
rwtri said:
I'll grab my notes when I'm back in my office.

The amp itself is located behind the battery. Just remove the battery and you can't miss it. I tapped into the system downstream of the amp (before it splits in to the speaker runs. It doesn't appear to be x'd over from the amp, but I used a LC6i from Audio control with internal channel summing to make sure I was pulling a full range signal. It's a bit of overkill, but if I decide to continue to upgrade, the LC6i provides a solid platform.

Your idea for the fully integrated unit w/ the Alpine VH Pro sounds like a solid ticket. Would then be able to pull in Sat, Alpine's nav, ipod, etc.

Does this mean that the tweeters receive a full range signal (which would be very unusual) or is there a crossover somewhere further up the cable run or even in the amp itself? Thanks.

Carl

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Troesma said:
Some of the Italian suppliers...

http://www.bortesi.it/interfacce-aux.htm

http://www.tecnosoundsanremo.it

or some of the guys who offer gadgets on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.it/Interfaccia-audi...goryZ294QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

(the 147 is not quite the same unit as in our Masers... even though its a MM Connect+)

Ed
Ed,

I don't speak Itialian but that unit might be a good place to start outside the car. The question is... Did Maserati define the CAN bus protocol or did they adopt the MM protocol? It looks like all the dash controls including the climate controls (and probably the seats) are connected to the NIT CAN bus (that's how you get the climate control setting to display on the screen).

It's not hard to sniff the CAN bus (I've been sniffing CANs for years :)) but I'm afraid it's just used as input from the controls. Since the display is an RGB connection back to the NIT, it's probable that the NIT itself formats the screen and displays things outside the CAN bus (unlike the BMW IBUS where the control head sends and receives via the CAN bus, making it easy to write things to the displays).

Bottom line is displaying text (artist/title) on the NAV screen via the CAN bus may be a pipe dream.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts