Maserati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
More or less finished with the bezel design. As you can see I have moved the buttons down under the display as there are not space enough on the left side.
So once it fully finished I will get it 3D printed.

I am in LOOOOOOOOVE!!!

Seriously, if you can create that bezel and have it look the part you will be a absolute ROCKSTAR on this forum to all of us that want to update that crap audio system(which IS basically all of us LOL). Just make enough ahead of time because the demand will be there!

Hero status.

·
Registered
2013 Maserati GranTurismo MC
213 Posts
I am in LOOOOOOOOVE!!!

Seriously, if you can create that bezel and have it look the part you will be a absolute ROCKSTAR on this forum to all of us that want to update that crap audio system(which IS basically all of us LOL). Just make enough ahead of time because the demand will be there!

Hero status.
This!

The GT has a timeless design on the outside so with the audio system upgrade, I don't think I'd ever want to look at another car. Ever!

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,608 Posts
Got the 3d print bezel. Here is how it looks after it has been painted and installer. Also got the Switch panel reengraved.
Looks fantastic! Better than OEM. Great job!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Some additional pictures
I like!

I wonder if color codes are available for the interior trim finishes...would be awesome if we can paint the bezel to match rest of the trim. Would be impossible to tell that it's not OEM....

Oh the possibilities :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Definitely next level stuff. I purchased the navi-plus system with android auto/carplay integration and did the install myself. There was a UK group buy that dropped the price to like 750usd and that was with the backup camera so i decided at that level was a no brainer. The instructions were much better than the original navi-plus however were for a GT and i have a QP. It changed where the boxes could be stored and the entire trim removal/dash removal was different. I made some mistakes (luckily correctable) and reinstalled the system a couple of times to fix those. The first week i had the screen in, the touch input started to go all wonky as noted above. I found if you used 2 washers between the screen and the 4 securing posts as well as minimized how much electrical tape was used to secure the touchscreen it eliminated the issues (i think it was getting false touch inputs throwing the system off between the screen surround trim/tape. It has me excited to maintain the factory unit/look however only 2 gripes are that it isn't a wireless carplay (yet, the carplay module is literally a USB dongle so as soon as they start making aftermarket wireless dongles which i expect will happen this year, its an easy swap out) and it doesn't integrate into the steering wheel fwd/back buttons to allow song skipping. Still a bargain at 750 if you have had some experience doing car installs its not too much out of the normal, just on a really expensive car.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Definitely next level stuff. I purchased the navi-plus system with android auto/carplay integration and did the install myself. There was a UK group buy that dropped the price to like 750usd and that was with the backup camera so i decided at that level was a no brainer. The instructions were much better than the original navi-plus however were for a GT and i have a QP. It changed where the boxes could be stored and the entire trim removal/dash removal was different. I made some mistakes (luckily correctable) and reinstalled the system a couple of times to fix those. The first week i had the screen in, the touch input started to go all wonky as noted above. I found if you used 2 washers between the screen and the 4 securing posts as well as minimized how much electrical tape was used to secure the touchscreen it eliminated the issues (i think it was getting false touch inputs throwing the system off between the screen surround trim/tape. It has me excited to maintain the factory unit/look however only 2 gripes are that it isn't a wireless carplay (yet, the carplay module is literally a USB dongle so as soon as they start making aftermarket wireless dongles which i expect will happen this year, its an easy swap out) and it doesn't integrate into the steering wheel fwd/back buttons to allow song skipping. Still a bargain at 750 if you have had some experience doing car installs its not too much out of the normal, just on a really expensive car.
I also purchased the system via the UK group buy and I've been following the post on the "other' forum. We've also exchanged a few emails (initially by accident!) and I'm happy to hear that your install went well. As soon as I return from our vacation next week, I plan to stat the install on our GT.

I was in the UK last week on a business trip so I was able to meet up with Paul and I purchased the wiring harness that he's selling. I've done a preliminary mock-up of the connections and it seems that I have quite a few extra parts and wire connectors left over from the kit, if I follow the instructions provided by Paul. Did you also have parts and wire connectors left over?

I posted a photo of Paul's mock-up on the "other" forum (post 453 on page 23), but I haven't received a reply yet. I asked if the connectors circled in red are not used. Can you tell me if this is correct?

Apple CarPlay Install

·
Registered
21 Posts
Franz, are you going to make a few more and offer these for sale here? I would definitely be interested in one!
Hi Gordon.

Yes it is the plan to make the system as a kit you can buy. I just what to make some minor changes to improve the system even more, before I release it.
I have also made a new trunk switch panel with the reverse cam integrated. see picture. custom brake to fit the new radio in the dashboard.

I expect the price for the kit will be around 2200 $ This include
Android radio with fast boot (2 sec) 8Gb ram and 64Gb rom . 4G module integrated. Trunk switch with reverse camera. Wire harness. (no cutting in the original harness. Plug and play) Can-module for removing the orignal radio without system error. New 3d printed display bezel with a 9" touch screen. Bracket for the radio install. Charger for the old radio so it does not drain the backup battery that will coarse the radio to fail if left unpowered for longer time. SWC function. Front camera with recording.
Harness for the original radio so it can be temporarily connected, if you need to charge setting or clock. And installation manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
After posting my last tread with a price for the upgrade, I have not gotten any feedback back. I would be glad if someone could give the comment this. Are there anybody that is interested in a system like this.

·
Registered
213 Posts
After posting my last tread with a price for the upgrade, I have not gotten any feedback back. I would be glad if someone could give the comment this. Are there anybody that is interested in a system like this.
Franz, I have a few requests that would probably benefit the rest of the group as well:

1. Would you be able to post a video of the system in action? Would love to see how things are integrated and the general fluidity of the system.
2. Can share the technical details of the various components to understand replacement/upgrade options in the future (i.e. the screen looks to be stand alone...would be nice to have the option of upgrading it if needed with higher resolution/sensitivity, etc.)
3. Can you comment on how long/involved the installation would be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will guess that the time to install it will be 8 hours. Time is spent removing the dashboard panel, the center console and the rear seat.

I have tried to wrap the bezel in carbon wrap. See picture.
I screen comes with the radio, but it is a separate part, and is also available in a 8 and 10 inch version.
I will make a video later so you can see it in action.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any updates on this? My dad finally bought his dream car, a '15 GT conv, and we're both shocked at how outdated the infotainment system is, along with the lack of push button start and backup camera. Besides that though, he's loving the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anybody tried these options feom Alibaba? On the face of it looks like a good upgrade option? Just wanting to know if anyone jas tried?

AppAuCAR Android Touch Screen Car Radio for MASERATI GT GranTurismo 2007- 2019 GPS DVD Player Multimedia Navigation Stereo BT Video

https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=62132873112&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D62132873112%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Suggestions from a nonmechanic

Any updates on this? My dad finally bought his dream car, a '15 GT conv, and we're both shocked at how outdated the infotainment system is, along with the lack of push button start and backup camera. Besides that though, he's loving the car.

I had the same experience when I purchased my 2014 GT Sport Coupe. The back up camera is an easy after market upgrade. I had the dealer add one for me before I took delivery and it's great. I also later added a Pioneer 8400 Nex audio system. I found an excellent vendor. Keep in mind that you have to keep your current radio to preserve the electronics. Mine was remounted in my trunk. It took a little effort to get the AM and FM to work but eventually they got it. The sound quality on calls is great and it has Apple Carplay which is great with messages, voicemail, maps/navigation etc. No one complains anymore when I'm on a call either! The sound quality is also much improved (more crisp) on everything else. Also, you no longer have to worry about using a Bovee or similar for a bluetooth connection which alone is worth the change. I recommend you check with your local Maserati dealer and get a referral to a good audio shop and you may be able to use them for the back up camera at the same time. It's well worth the price for the upgrades. Sorry, but I have no advice on the keyless start! Tell your dad that with those upgrades he'll have the car he dreamed of! Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anybody tried these options feom Alibaba? On the face of it looks like a good upgrade option? Just wanting to know if anyone jas tried?

AppAuCAR Android Touch Screen Car Radio for MASERATI GT GranTurismo 2007- 2019 GPS DVD Player Multimedia Navigation Stereo BT Video

https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink...share_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

That looks really interesting. I really like that you can tie it into the OBD2 functions. They don't state if it comes with plug and play wiring harness connections. I assume this is simply a pre-amp that puts out a low level signal to drive the onboard Bose amp in the trunk.

Not sure I'd be a guinea pig at $1200US but it sure looks interesting. Let us know if you take a chance and get one.

In the meanwhile, Franz's unit looks pretty bulletproof. Franz, I'd probably be a player after the summer. I don't want to take the Cabrio down during prime driving months :grin2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wonder if this keeps the original functions lost by removing that part of the infotainment. The larger screen is tempting. Wonder if they have a version with Android Auto/ CarPlay.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts