Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GranTurismo C Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the forum.

I purchased an Aucar Gen 2 unit for my 2013 GT a couple of months ago through the group buy with Robin.

Thanks again Robin, I love the upgrade.

Anyways, I'm having an issue with the Carplay side of the unit and I don't recall if I had this issue when I first installed it.

When I first installed the unit the sound was incredible coming from the radio and Carplay.

I then started having an issue with the radio not working at all (zero sound, zero static). Eric at Aucar sent me a file to update the unit and it got my radio working again.

The puzzling thing is that the sound is much better from the radio and Bluetooth audio then from Carplay. I have found that I can balance and fade the radio and Bluetooth audio. It uses all the speakers. However, I cannot balance and/or fade the Carplay audio. The Carplay audio sounds like it is all coming from the front of the car.

Could one of you that use Carplay test this for me. See if when you are using Carplay audio if you can adjust the sound from front to back using the stock android EQ app that is accessible from the radio and/or the app screen?

Eric was great to fix the radio issue, but it took about a month to resolve and there were some language issues. I wanted to diagnose this issue before going back to him with it. Initially he said a cable was disconnected when I had the issue with the radio. I dreaded having to pull the dash apart. However, after repeated discussions with him, he sent me the update file and it fixed the radio issue which tells me it was not a cable problem.

Thanks everyone.

Marc

Also, I chose to place the GPS receiver behind the center vents/clock binnacle. There's space when you remove the one screw holding the binnacle on. It has a pretty clear reception through the dashboard pad up through the windshield. It has been accurate. Just a suggestion if you don't want to mount it to the windshield.

Also, I have a convertible so running the backup camera from the trunk lid to the head unit was a little more complicated then when Robin did it on his coupe. If anyone has questions, I can relate my experience.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The Apple CarPlay on those isn’t actually MFi certified. This means it isn’t guaranteed to meet Apples standards and update schedule, or stay compatible. It’s up to the manufacturer to update their software.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Marc,
Great idea for the GPS antenna, I followed the video and stuck it to the top of the windshield on my 15 convertible. My balance and sound problems were a little different. I have to take it all apart again and reseat the main connector and that fix the problem,. Somehow the plug can lock and not really be fully seated. The rear camera is the ticket, can't believe that it didn't come stock. I took the easy way and ran the wire along the passenger side door sill, though the convertible top well to the trunk. I followed the harness through the boot well and truck so I don't have zip ties everywhere. One note, I tried to use the power off of the rear lights and that didn't work, so I used the wire off of the main radio harness and it works like a champ now.

Good luck, hoe this helps!
Kevin

·
Registered
2013 GranTurismo C Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Apple CarPlay on those isn’t actually MFi certified. This means it isn’t guaranteed to meet Apples standards and update schedule, or stay compatible. It’s up to the manufacturer to update their software.
Thanks Sock Tucker. Correct, none of this Chinese stuff is MFI certified. You brought up a good point, I had not considered that could be the issue with Carplay balance/fader. The app may need an update.

Hopefully someone with the Aucar Gen 2 and Carplay will test this for me.

Thanks, Marc

·
Registered
2013 GranTurismo C Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marc,
Great idea for the GPS antenna, I followed the video and stuck it to the top of the windshield on my 15 convertible. My balance and sound problems were a little different. I have to take it all apart again and reseat the main connector and that fix the problem,. Somehow the plug can lock and not really be fully seated. The rear camera is the ticket, can't believe that it didn't come stock. I took the easy way and ran the wire along the passenger side door sill, though the convertible top well to the trunk. I followed the harness through the boot well and truck so I don't have zip ties everywhere. One note, I tried to use the power off of the rear lights and that didn't work, so I used the wire off of the main radio harness and it works like a champ now.

Good luck, hoe this helps!
Kevin
Thanks for the reply Kevin. I had an issue with the antenna adapter cable. I had to secure the adapter to the cars wiring with tape and zip ties to hold it together to make a solid connection, if I didn't it would just fade in and out. Unfortunately the quality of some of this stuff is not great.

If I did it again, I might decide to route the rear camera differently then the way I did, though now I know how to take all of the back seat apart and once you know how to take it apart it's pretty straightforward. Just scary to pull on things if you are not sure how it comes apart.

Thanks for your thoughts.

PS if you happen to use Carplay with you Aucar Gen 2, could you please test the balance/fader for me?

Marc

·
Registered
2013 GranTurismo C Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please, someone check this for me on their Aucar Gen 2 unit. Use Carplay and play music through Carplay and see if you can/cannot adjust the balance/fader. I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Please, someone check this for me on their Aucar Gen 2 unit. Use Carplay and play music through Carplay and see if you can/cannot adjust the balance/fader. I would really appreciate it.
Join the Facebook group there’s lots of owners on there and it moves a little faster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts