Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya folks,

Thought it would be of interest to you folks to know about this feature article on the GT in the latest CAR Magazine (issue 537, May 07, pp. 104-11) by Gavin Green.

It includes interview material with Andrea Pininfarina and Jean-Luc Brossard, Maserati Technical Director. Plus 3 full-page photos.

Let's start with a forceful statement by Pininfarina, which, according to Green, says the GT emphasis is "on the luxury more than the sport side of things" :mad:

Quoting Pininfarina "of course they are high-performance sporting cars... but the luxury is the important thing" adding that "Maserati great days were in the '50s and it is the cars from this era that we looked closely before designing the GranTurismo." As for design elements, Pininfarina continues saying they took from the old '50s Maseratis the "stance, the taut surfacing, the grille treatment, the nose styling and the sleek bonnet shape. They were agressive, but they were also elegant. Elegance is key to new Maseratis."

Don't mind elegance at all, but... :mad:

Jean-Luc Brossard continues by indicating that "the performance goal... is to be fast or faster than rivals but to leaven the performance with superlative standards of comfort and refinement" and says "all our rivals are relatively big-volume makers and their models that compete with the GranTurismo are more powerful versions of quite common cars."

Green puts as rivals, therefore, the Jag XKR (which, incidentally, also features a ZF tranny), the BMW 650i (with Green adding "the M6 is a little too full-on") and the Mercs SL and CL 500s.

About the mechanical features, Green suggests the "apparently retrograde" steps of dropping the dry-sump for a wet-sump engine (which "involved a surprisingly amount of engineering work, including a redesigned engine block") and transaxle configuration. Brossard said the wet-sump "makes for a quieter, more luxurious car, especially desirable on an auto." :mad:

Later he speaks of "forthcoming faster models." Given the article relies heavily on interview material with Pininfarina and Maserati Technical Directon, I guess this could be fair call.

Green says, however not confirming source, that later on the year "a Spyder convertible version" is coming, designed as "a more full-on sports model (firmer suspension, less weight, more power, but still underpinned with high luxury) and a 4.7 litre 470 BHP V8 similar to that used on the new Maserati-powered and Maserati-built Alfa 8C Competizione" adding that "this engine will power Maserati's equivalent of an 'M' version."

He also writes that an improved version of the F1-style paddleshift (our beloved Cambiocorsas) is on its way. Adds "it will be substantially modified from the old Coupe's transmission, borrowing technology from the paddleshift box offered in the latest Ferrari 599." In this guise, also according to Green the resulting GT "will feature a dry-sump and rear transaxle powertrain."

As for deaths, "unlike the outgoing Maserati Coupe, there will be no conventional manual gearbox." So, it seems, the 4200s will be the last Maserati model featuring a fully-manual transmission.

In closing, Green concludes the Maserati GT is "... a compelling car that mixes speed with sensuality and seems destined to become one of the most desirable cars of the decade."

IMHO, until the newer, sportier versions hit the street, it's not precisely my cup of tea.

Enjoy (or cry)

Ed

·
Registered
390 Posts
Its odd. It seems most people view Maserati as a sporting brand, and buy their cars for such a reason, yet the product planners always go for the luxury route. Why not just build a real sports car like the market expects?

Or is that just my illusion?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Its odd. It seems most people view Maserati as a sporting brand, and buy their cars for such a reason, yet the product planners always go for the luxury route. Why not just build a real sports car like the market expects?

Or is that just my illusion?
Squid, what they are doing is in fact marketing. They are not quite after the Maserati current owners, but those who would go for a higher-end Beemer or Merc, which is another breed of public (hence the ZF tranny, for example.)

As the article says on page 109 "Brossard and other bosses are hoping to make [the Maserati] a touch less rare." The target they have in mind (10K production by 2011) is unreachable if only relying on the current enthusiasts client base.

Crystal-clear.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hiya folks,

Thought it would be of interest to you folks to know about this feature article on the GT in the latest CAR Magazine (issue 537, May 07, pp. 104-11) by Gavin Green.

It includes interview material with Andrea Pininfarina and Jean-Luc Brossard, Maserati Technical Director. Plus 3 full-page photos.

Let's start with a forceful statement by Pininfarina, which, according to Green, says the GT emphasis is "on the luxury more than the sport side of things" :mad:

Quoting Pininfarina "of course they are high-performance sporting cars... but the luxury is the important thing" adding that "Maserati great days were in the '50s and it is the cars from this era that we looked closely before designing the GranTurismo." As for design elements, Pininfarina continues saying they took from the old '50s Maseratis the "stance, the taut surfacing, the grille treatment, the nose styling and the sleek bonnet shape. They were agressive, but they were also elegant. Elegance is key to new Maseratis."

Don't mind elegance at all, but... :mad:

Jean-Luc Brossard continues by indicating that "the performance goal... is to be fast or faster than rivals but to leaven the performance with superlative standards of comfort and refinement" and says "all our rivals are relatively big-volume makers and their models that compete with the GranTurismo are more powerful versions of quite common cars."

Green puts as rivals, therefore, the Jag XKR (which, incidentally, also features a ZF tranny), the BMW 650i (with Green adding "the M6 is a little too full-on") and the Mercs SL and CL 500s.

About the mechanical features, Green suggests the "apparently retrograde" steps of dropping the dry-sump for a wet-sump engine (which "involved a surprisingly amount of engineering work, including a redesigned engine block") and transaxle configuration. Brossard said the wet-sump "makes for a quieter, more luxurious car, especially desirable on an auto." :mad:

Later he speaks of "forthcoming faster models." Given the article relies heavily on interview material with Pininfarina and Maserati Technical Directon, I guess this could be fair call.

Green says, however not confirming source, that later on the year "a Spyder convertible version" is coming, designed as "a more full-on sports model (firmer suspension, less weight, more power, but still underpinned with high luxury) and a 4.7 litre 470 BHP V8 similar to that used on the new Maserati-powered and Maserati-built Alfa 8C Competizione" adding that "this engine will power Maserati's equivalent of an 'M' version."

He also writes that an improved version of the F1-style paddleshift (our beloved Cambiocorsas) is on its way. Adds "it will be substantially modified from the old Coupe's transmission, borrowing technology from the paddleshift box offered in the latest Ferrari 599." In this guise, also according to Green the resulting GT "will feature a dry-sump and rear transaxle powertrain."

As for deaths, "unlike the outgoing Maserati Coupe, there will be no conventional manual gearbox." So, it seems, the 4200s will be the last Maserati model featuring a fully-manual transmission.

In closing, Green concludes the Maserati GT is "... a compelling car that mixes speed with sensuality and seems destined to become one of the most desirable cars of the decade."

IMHO, until the newer, sportier versions hit the street, it's not precisely my cup of tea.

Enjoy (or cry)

Ed
i dont really see why all the :mad:
you knew they are not trying to please you, so just forget it, and just keep your beloved maserati 4200 coupe (with carbon fibre fronts perhaps) til you die :LOL:

please just let the others enjoy their new GT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Strange how I hear on one hand they will only have automatic, on the other they will be introducing the Duo Select later on with the 4.7.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont really see why all the :mad:
you knew they are not trying to please you, so just forget it, and just keep your beloved maserati 4200 coupe (with carbon fibre fronts perhaps) til you die :LOL:

please just let the others enjoy their new GT.
Sorry M!, who says anything on the contrary? Dude, I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are. So if you like it, buy it. Or whatever.

Just read the piece, make your contribution/comment if you so wish, or else shut-up.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Niche brands that try to become more mass market brands don't usually do so well. Look at Saab --- we used to buy Saab's because they were Saabs, which is a reason not everyone would buy them. Quirky, different. Now GM has basically killed the brand and all but killed the product.

The appeal of the Maserati is the combination of elegance and performance - you can't dilute either one. And while the scarcity and rarity isn't as great as a Ferrari, they're still a pretty scarce beast, which is part of the appeal.

Also for me the CC is the core of the brand, I have no interest in the manual or an auto. I like driving manuals, but the CC is "needlessly complicated" which has that quirkiness appeal to me.

All auto makers think they need to increase volume or head up-market to make more money.

I think a more interesting direction to take would have been for them to build a 612-like model.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have to agree

with ed here.
what drew me to the brand after having many of the other cookie cutter performance vehicles was the unique combination of performance, comfort/design, rarity and the history of the marquee. Wrong or right, I also viewed the coupe gt (which i own) as a everyday driveable ferrari (albeit at a lower price). It is why I wanted one for so long.
For me, the move by the marquee towards the Bentleys, bmw coupes (not even their m-series vehicles for gods sake!), porsche, and mercedes is a sad but understandable strategy. If this is the way that Maserati needs to continue to exist- so be it. I just hope they do not forget those characteristics that have made them special and created a loyal customer base to this point.
I hope the the GT is a huge success, because then maybe, the impetus will arise to create a sportier, more performance-based version (perhaps even in a 6 speed) for those of us who thirst for that driving experience (and have found it in prior models).
Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I love my QP, almost the perfect car! It is the car that has put the most smiles on my face. True, I was hoping the new GT would shave off the few things I did not enjoy fully on the QP: I wanted it a bit smaller/less weight but big enough to take the family on a trip; an upgraded V8 (>450hp), an upgrade of the CC/DS/F1 which I love but it could be improved a bit (no reliability complaints since I am at 45.000km without a problem and with the original clutch) nd a bit more aggressive exhaust.
So yes while I think the new GT is gorgeous but I am waiting for the version with the above specs. Good thing is that I was told by a valid source (no not just the dealer) that I will get my desired version. The only thing not sure yet is timing.......In the meanwhile I hope the GT automatic is a big hit (well relatively I don't want all my neighbors to have one) so the company survives and can keep on making near exotic daily drivers that are gorgeous, exclusive and hopefully a bit more sporty again.....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Sorry M!, who says anything on the contrary? Dude, I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are. So if you like it, buy it. Or whatever.

Just read the piece, make your contribution/comment if you so wish, or else shut-up.
I am entitle to mine too.
no need to tell me to shut up.
carbon fibre bumper. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
with ed here.
...For me, the move by the marquee towards the Bentleys, bmw coupes (not even their m-series vehicles for gods sake!), porsche, and mercedes is a sad but understandable strategy. ..Just my 2cents.
i don't understand why some are claiming the new GT is moving towards Porsche...

wasn't the giugiaro coupe exactly targeting 911's...?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think he is implying that they are desirous of moving towards more of a mass-market than a tiny Italian exotic company like Ferrari. I think that strategy will attract more buyers and make Fiat more money, and mean I'm gonna have to start saving for a Ferrari.....oh well.
Now...if they make a lighter GT with updated F1 and more ponies, and a suspension targeted more toward the GT3 market....well then, that is a horse of a different color, isn't it!?

·
Registered
177 Posts
i believe you are correct

M.
And that is exactly why I purchased- because it had much of the sporty edge of the 911. I should have been more clear in my reply. By following "porsche", I did not mean the 911 but more towards their new 4 dr mass appeal panmera or whatever it is called which at this point I have no interest in at all.
Hope that clarifies a bit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
you are

Correct maseratifan and I agree, unless they make a lighter, faster (and maybe a bit shorter) version of the gt, I too will be saving up for a ferrari.

·
Registered
237 Posts
cripes...I'll have to change my name to "ferrarifan" and that has been taken for a long time...what is a boy to do?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
M.
And that is exactly why I purchased- because it had much of the sporty edge of the 911. I should have been more clear in my reply. By following "porsche", I did not mean the 911 but more towards their new 4 dr mass appeal panmera or whatever it is called which at this point I have no interest in at all.
Hope that clarifies a bit.
it's panamera a response to QP, M5, Rapide, etc etc? i.e. porsche is following other manufacturers.

i don't mind maserati following porsche's strategy on the panamera if it include something 600-700hp as they are speculating.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Have you guys seen the pix of the Panamera in this weekd Autoweek? Can you say unbelievable butt ugly beyong description? I mean that thing is about the ugliest piece a junk I have ever seen. Because they are "Porsche" they will overprice the h*ll out of it and fill it with ridiculous little plastic knobs inside....I know I have a Cayenne S......low quality materials abound (drives great though).
Porsche is screwed on this one...I'll stay Italian thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
it's panamera a response to QP, M5, Rapide, etc etc? i.e. porsche is following other manufacturers.

i don't mind maserati following porsche's strategy on the panamera if it include something 600-700hp as they are speculating.
Hey M! I know what you mean but... I think you were told to shut up! :D

Anyway, it's "If it include[s] something 600-700hp as they are speculating". HEY! You can can be critical....:cool:

Isn't it awesome to be so much smarter than everyone else? I enjoy it! AND I KNOW YOU DO!

:)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hey M! I know what you mean but... I think you were told to shut up! :D

Anyway, it's "If it include[s] something 600-700hp as they are speculating". HEY! You can can be critical....:cool:

Isn't it awesome to be so much smarter than everyone else? I enjoy it! AND I KNOW YOU DO!

:)
BUZZ? you are smarter than everyone else???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts