Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first of I am venting so if you don't agree with me that is ok. I want to start off by saying that I do love my 06 gransport. It has been nothing but a joy to drive. I bought it new with only 84 miles on it(my first mistake) I have enjoyed the drive and the feeling of that beautiful engine. I have never seen more camera phones go off than when I drive that car and I live in LA.
Now here is my problem. A couple of family things have changed and now I need a bigger car. I went to trade in my car, first off the dealer didn't know what it was(range rover) so they called local dealers to see what they would buy it for. The car is nero carbonio, full black leather, full carbon package, red painted calipers, ball polished rims (I also added $10,000 in audio upgrades and about $5000 in performance upgrades). It has 12,000 miles on it. The dealer that I bought it from offered $45,000 are you kidding. The best offer I got was $55,000 what the hell is this. I felt proud buying that car, now I feel like a complete idiot. Should have bought a porche S, cheaper and faster!!! sorry for the vent but I figured I wasn't the only one to go through this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You're going about this the wrong. Unlike Porsche this is a niche car with a small loyal following. You will get a great price privately and will probably sell it in the $60's with some patience. A dealer is the wrong place because they know it will take time and floorspace.

I've had this experience with Lotus Esprits and strangely the BMW M Coupe. not trade-in cars.

Marc

·
Registered
442 Posts
Have you tried to get a trade-in value from the dealership you got it from and trade for a QP instead of Rover?

Since they don't even know what kind car it is, how can you expect them to give you a reasonable value? Also, for a dealer not knowing what a Maserati is, it's probably a wrong dealership anyways. :)

Jess

·
Registered
518 Posts
always remember ANY upgrades done to the car will detract from the value of the vehicle

·
Registered
329 Posts
Seriously, the $5K in performance upgrades will not add any value to the sale price of the car. If you find somone who wants a Maserati and also has the same audio interests you may recover some of the $10K, but not much.
(basic economics of used audio equipment)

If you must sell the Maserati - sell it privately.
By the way, ANY high dollar exotic or luxury car depreciates faster than a rock falling from the sky. That is just part of the game.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think it is the new Grand Turismo that is killing the resale on the Gransport.

I just bought my GS ('06 with 2k miles) from the dealer for $72k. I thought I stole it but it seems to be the going price. The sticker on the GS I bought was $118, which means if I had bought it from the owner it would have been $40k loss for him. You know the dealer gave him less for it tho.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ok first of I am venting so if you don't agree with me that is ok. I want to start off by saying that I do love my 06 gransport. It has been nothing but a joy to drive. I bought it new with only 84 miles on it(my first mistake) I have enjoyed the drive and the feeling of that beautiful engine. I have never seen more camera phones go off than when I drive that car and I live in LA.
Now here is my problem. A couple of family things have changed and now I need a bigger car. I went to trade in my car, first off the dealer didn't know what it was(range rover) so they called local dealers to see what they would buy it for. The car is nero carbonio, full black leather, full carbon package, red painted calipers, ball polished rims (I also added $10,000 in audio upgrades and about $5000 in performance upgrades). It has 12,000 miles on it. The dealer that I bought it from offered $45,000 are you kidding. The best offer I got was $55,000 what the hell is this. I felt proud buying that car, now I feel like a complete idiot. Should have bought a porche S, cheaper and faster!!! sorry for the vent but I figured I wasn't the only one to go through this.
why was it a mistake buying it new? did u pay full MSRP?
as mentioned already, those $15000 add on are worthless on a trade in. hard to find someone who will appreciate your $10k audio upgrade. i love to see it though. what $5000 performance upgrades did u have on your GS?

public transit could be cheaper and faster too (in some cities), so forget about the porsche.

if i were you, i would sell or trade in that 645Ci first, and keep the GS.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes, upgrades definitely going to lower resale value.

But your first mistake wasn't buying the GS; it was trying to sell it to a dealer!!!!

1. remove all your mods and audio stuff and put it back to stock
2. sell it privately

I just bought a new BMW 535xi wagon for my wife. Dealer offered me bupkis for my wife's 2002 Saab (and I knew their resale was bad).

I sold it privately within 2 days for 27% more than the dealer offered me, problem solved.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The dealer that I bought it from offered $45,000 are you kidding. The best offer I got was $55,000 what the hell is this.
Hmm... if you really don't get better than $55k PM me and I'll offer you a bit more. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
While I'm sympathetic, I'm rather surprised you weren't aware of the massive depreciation on these cars. Part of the research process for buying one should be a visit to eBay at least to see what they're going for. There have also been a number of threads on the various dealer auction results where we've all seen what they're paying.

I think you should keep the Maser and buy something cheaper than a RR. I've got a nice dog/family hauler - but I'm too embarrassed to say what it is on this site.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Buy a RR are you nuts?

Keep the GS....it is an awesome car. Over the next few years people will come to appreciate the greatness of this car....the last of the Ferrari-made sporting Maseratis. They are going to make cruisers designed to lure away mercedes posers.....and share parts with lower priced Alfas.

The GS will be remembered and coveted for being a truly spectacular daily driver Ferrari.

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Whats the deal with - have a family now = need to buy utility vehicle. Are you moving to the mountains?

Keep the Gransport. Get a nice 4 seater for your wife and kids. I live in Los Angeles too. I have a 04 coupe and a merc clk for beach, some work trips, and places I dont want to take the maserati. I even have the convertible clk which is helpful if I need to buy a plants or lumber etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all the feed back. No i did not research the car. I was 28 when I bought it, and fell in love with it the minute I saw it. I will like to tell you all that I have decided to keep it. And all of you are right, if I love it who cares. It was just a little hard to swallow at first, but F it. I do believe this car is a staple of maserati and yes it is a niche car. I would have been very upset if I sold it. I knew you guys would make me see clearer, that is why I love this site. The performance mods I did were eurotech upgrade, larini centre section and rear boxes with moddified butterfly valve.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maserati’s depreciating like a rock is an understatement. Sad truth is, they, like other high end cars, fall greater than the norm.

Maserati’s have never held their value. They’re more like a Toyota from Italy. A lot of girls drive them, my wife included. It’s not a real head turner, and not even considered exotic by many.

I drive my coupe daily as it’ll be worthless in a couple years anyways.

I hope to add a ‘05 GS within 1.5 - 2 years, as I think they’ll be in the low 40’s high 30’s by then.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I appreciate all the feed back. No i did not research the car. I was 28 when I bought it, and fell in love with it the minute I saw it. I will like to tell you all that I have decided to keep it. And all of you are right, if I love it who cares. It was just a little hard to swallow at first, but F it. I do believe this car is a staple of maserati and yes it is a niche car. I would have been very upset if I sold it. I knew you guys would make me see clearer, that is why I love this site. The performance mods I did were eurotech upgrade, larini centre section and rear boxes with moddified butterfly valve.
Excellent thinking!!!!
Keep it, drive it, cherish it. It's depreciation will taper off, and who the h*ll cares if it doesn't anyway?!
The GS will be remembered as the end of a particularly glorious era in the life of Maserati, one of the most charismatic manufacturers the world has ever seen. I truly hope I'm wrong but I fear that the coming years will see Maserati as a "brand" being managed by Fiat as part of a bigger financial plan. At least when under Ferrari it was still about passion. Now it is about conquering a particular market niche...stealing MB and BMW owners, and bringing Alfa up as a volume manufacturer in the US by linking to Maserati. The GT will be beautiful....but it won't be a Ferrari-esque daily driving sportscar liek the GS!!!!!!
Congrats on coming to your senses, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
til i'm waiting to buy my Maserati GS here in Italy i'd buy urs also for 60k dollars if the deal would be easy...i'm looking for a good one...and i think ur car is what i'm waiting for :)

find out what about selling it here and u've found ur new owner :d

1 - 17 of 17 Posts