Maserati Forum banner

Are the 4.7 engines interchangable

486 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  [email protected] Enzo`s Atlanta
I have a 2014 sport with the 4.7. I was told, that the 2009 to 2013 4.7 would not be able to fit inside of my GT if something were to happen. This is all hypothetically speaking, there's nothing wrong with my vehicle. But if I had to get a used engine, I just wasn't sure if a 2011 would be able to work in a 2014 or if there were certain model years that would only work.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
No, there is an engine code and they need to match...These cars don't normally need engines..Jason
I have a 2014 sport with the 4.7. I was told, that the 2009 to 2013 4.7 would not be able to fit inside of my GT if something were to happen. This is all hypothetically speaking, there's nothing wrong with my vehicle. But if I had to get a used engine, I just wasn't sure if a 2011 would be able to work in a 2014 or if there were certain model years that would only work.
There are many subtle differences. ie. “Diamond-like” coatings, changes to coolant lines and other improvements over the years
+1 like Jason said. I suppose you would need the ECU to match up with the engine code.
See less See more
Since this is all hypothetical anyway, setting aside the fact that it can't be done as Jason pointed out, were it possible what might be the cost of used engine ( from a totaled GT with an intact engine ) , vs. the cost to rebuild your engine , if you "blow it up" really badly , cylinders scored, valves bent, rods spun / bent, etc. ? Just curious .
A small fortune by the time you got done buying all the parts from Maserati...Pretty much no shop is gonna do that...They would install a used engine..Shops really look at their liability and profit margin these days unlike the past..We pretty much wouldn't even install a used one unless the customer supplied it...Then if your used Ebay engine blows up in 3 weeks it isn't our deal...Major engine work like that is a thing of the past in most cases...The numbers simply don't work...Jason
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
No, there is an engine code and they need to match...These cars don't normally need engines..Jason
How would one find out? Call a Masarati dealer?
There is a engine code stamped on the engine at the bellhousing.. See the chart earlier in the thread above...J
1 - 8 of 8 Posts