Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I joined this forum a few weeks back and researching, it appears that the Spyders (and most likely other high end sports cars) don't seem to be selling much. The private sellers and dealers alike are shocked about the real value of these vehicles/ depreciation hit and slowly prices seem to come down, albeit very little. The unknown and horror stories on maintenance and repairs makes me think more than twice about diving into a 2003-05 Spyder, but does anyone think I should hold out until the dead of winter (I'm in Chicago) and try to negotiate seriously then? Are there any updates on what these cars are fetching at auction lately? I saw a couple threads in the archives that were really helpful, but any new info/thoughts on where pricing SHOULD be is appreciated. Great site, BTW except for that BS/banter with the kid from California!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Look at the asking prices on E-Bay, Autotrader, Yahoo Autos - Etc.
This should give you a good indication of the market value for used Maserati's.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Since I joined this forum a few weeks back and researching, it appears that the Spyders (and most likely other high end sports cars) don't seem to be selling much. The private sellers and dealers alike are shocked about the real value of these vehicles/ depreciation hit and slowly prices seem to come down, albeit very little. The unknown and horror stories on maintenance and repairs makes me think more than twice about diving into a 2003-05 Spyder, but does anyone think I should hold out until the dead of winter (I'm in Chicago) and try to negotiate seriously then? Are there any updates on what these cars are fetching at auction lately? I saw a couple threads in the archives that were really helpful, but any new info/thoughts on where pricing SHOULD be is appreciated. Great site, BTW except for that BS/banter with the kid from California!
what "unknown and horror stories on maintenance and repairs"?

if you want, wait until they annouce the new spyder, and wait until the current owners let go of theirs (trade in or end of lease).

·
Registered
722 Posts
My spyder has been much more reliable than my carefully maintained Mercedes, which permanently departed via tow truck.

Get one with a couple of years of warranty left, no worries.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Everyone grabbed the reliability subject but didn't comment on the number on the market. I agree, there are a lot of cars on the market and the sales times appear to be very long.

Ebay asking prices don't reflect the market, they show an asking not selling price. There are cars on there that have been advertised for 6 months or more and still haven't sold.

An idea would be to look at closed auctions, not necessarily sales, that had multiple bids. The market value is probably within 10% of the closing price. NOTE: that doesn't mean that the seller have admited the real market yet.

I personally know of one car that has been for sale for 6 months. They are asking 79 but it is really 60-65. I offered 65 and they pretty much laughed at me. That was 4 months ago and they still have the car.

FYI we are seeing similar long sales times in all high end cars.

As for winter, depends on spyder or coupe. If you are looking at a spyder prices will further soften during the winter. Don't know numbers for Maseratis but Ferrari's soften 10% or so during the winter. I would assume similar pricing softness for Maseratis.

What are you looking for?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Market Report for Spyder

Are there any updates on what these cars are fetching at auction lately? I saw a couple threads in the archives that were really helpful, but any new info/thoughts on where pricing SHOULD be is appreciated.
I am a used car dealer and here are the recent auction prices for the last 6 months or so. Remember the area the cars are sold in also make a difference in price.
Along with color...seems red is fetching more. Which is alright with me. I have a red 06 Spyder.

03 Spyder:
06/28/07 MANHEIM Regular $46,400 10,013 Above BLACK
06/14/07 MANHEIM Regular $50,250 12,670 Above BLUE
06/12/07 FAAO Lease $43,000 28,710 Above RED
05/24/07 RIVRSIDE Lease $44,500 30,148 Above BLACK
04/26/07 RIVRSIDE Regular $46,500 22,950 Above BLACK
03/14/07 W PALM Regular $43,600 34,773 Above SILVER

04 Spyder:

05/31/07 MANHEIM Regular $57,900 3,741 Avg BLACK
05/31/07 MANHEIM Lease $55,500 9,278 Avg RED
06/07/07 RIVRSIDE Lease $59,000 5,234 Above RED
06/14/07 CHICAGO Lease $44,000 24,174 Below SILVER
07/05/07 RIVRSIDE Lease $43,500 28,966 Below BLUE
07/19/07 RIVRSIDE Regular $48,500 5,784 Avg BLUE

05 Spyder:
08/31/05 W PALM Regular $66,800 3,495 Above RED
02/14/07 W PALM Regular $55,600 23,566 Avg SILVER
03/22/07 MANHEIM Regular $58,750 9,923 Avg GRIOGIO
05/03/07 MANHEIM Regular $58,750 10,494 Avg BLUE
08/02/07 RIVRSIDE Lease $55,500 8,194 Avg GREY

06 Spyder:
01/16/07 BIG H Regular $74,000 1,065 Above NONE
03/29/07 RIVRSIDE Lease $69,000 6,654 Above BLACK
04/05/07 MANHEIM Regular $76,750 4,238 Above GREY
05/17/07 MANHEIM Regular $70,500 4,264 Above BLACK

Hope this info helps you out. It is possible that one of the local dealers to these auctions could have one of these cars for sale in your neighborhood. You know how much you can bargain with. But remember the condition is listed also. So the dealer might have some body work to do plus inspections. Always see the miles too. Obviously lower mileage cars bring more money. If you find a Spyder locally look at the mileage and see if it matchs the miles listed in the lists above. In most cases the dealer advetises the car with the same miles as listed when they purchased it from the auction. I have seen similar mileage cars listed on Ebay and the mark up is substantial. But then again we do have the right. :):) :)

Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everyone grabbed the reliability subject but didn't comment on the number on the market. I agree, there are a lot of cars on the market and the sales times appear to be very long.

Ebay asking prices don't reflect the market, they show an asking not selling price. There are cars on there that have been advertised for 6 months or more and still haven't sold.

An idea would be to look at closed auctions, not necessarily sales, that had multiple bids. The market value is probably within 10% of the closing price. NOTE: that doesn't mean that the seller have admited the real market yet.

I personally know of one car that has been for sale for 6 months. They are asking 79 but it is really 60-65. I offered 65 and they pretty much laughed at me. That was 4 months ago and they still have the car.

As for winter, depends on spyder or coupe. If you are looking at a spyder prices will further soften during the winter. Don't know numbers for Maseratis but Ferrari's soften 10% or so during the winter. I would assume similar pricing softness for Maseratis.

You made a good point in fact, I too, have been looking for a Maserati for a while now as well. I see many Maserati's on Ebay being re-listed. A few in town have been listed for sale locally for quite some time now.

I believe around September is a good time to purchase a vehicle in general. Reason being so is after June prices on cars slump, market tends to slow down a bite after summer and a lot of people aren't willing to dish out a lot of cash money at the end of the year. I go to the dealer auctions a lot, I have yet to see a Maserati that I would want to jump at, I will say that not many of them come around at all. As a matter of fact not many "high end vehicles" are seen at the autions currently. A lot of dealers opt to not take it to the dealer auctions for a quick sale because these are hard to come buy cars. The only high end vehicle we made a quick buck on was this Exige and that was because of an auction "mess up."

Wonce ran into a Ferrari which we did pick ut unfortunately, the vehicle odometer and, etc., was tuned to European such as the kilometer system. So, we ended up spending what would have been the "profit" on prepping it for smog.

Anyway, as far a dealer auctions are concerned their not impossible, but hard to come by.

Theirs a lot of factors that play into why people dot buy used. I.E. people prefer "leasing" because then the dealer has all the headaches to deal with such as: F 1 pump, clutch, recalls, and etc.
The dealer ends up breaking the bank on these issues because they know ultimately the vehicle will be theirs and unless maintenance, wear and tear is taken care of they will have a hard time reselling the car.

A lot of people end up sitting on Maserati's because they feel that since its made by "Ferrari" the market value should hold up but they fall short on seeing the way a market value is decided is by the people. If the people buy, then the price holds up. If people pass up the offer then the price will drop.

Anyways, their is no actually market value on Maserati's because not enough of them have been sold for one to be formed. Also, Lease options on "New cars" out weight the problems you might face after your warrenty is up therefore, the preowned field isn't doing as well.

People can't sit on their cars forever because time is money. The more time it takes for the car to sell, the less people are going to be willing to offer for it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for addressing market conditions. I've been laughed at too with some realistic verbal offers, but when I qualify my bid with supporting information, the dealers or individuals don't seem to have good explanations. I've been on various dealer websites and used auto websites and nothing is moving. I've been a registered user on ebay for years and I check the completed listings only to find that nothing has hit the reserve prices. Now, ebay is a great tool to market a vehicle and get a prospect to e-mail, call etc., but I think savvy would-be buyers are bidding fairly close to where these cars should trade. I'm looking for a Spyder, preferably a 2004, but I've seen a couple 2003's that look attractive. I think the waiting game is the best tactic for me. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am a used car dealer and here are the recent auction prices for the last 6 months or so. Remember the area the cars are sold in also make a difference in price.
Along with color...seems red is fetching more. Which is alright with me. I have a red 06 Spyder.

03 Spyder:
06/28/07 MANHEIM Regular $46,400 10,013 Above BLACK
06/14/07 MANHEIM Regular $50,250 12,670 Above BLUE
06/12/07 FAAO Lease $43,000 28,710 Above RED
05/24/07 RIVRSIDE Lease $44,500 30,148 Above BLACK
04/26/07 RIVRSIDE Regular $46,500 22,950 Above BLACK
03/14/07 W PALM Regular $43,600 34,773 Above SILVER

04 Spyder:

05/31/07 MANHEIM Regular $57,900 3,741 Avg BLACK
05/31/07 MANHEIM Lease $55,500 9,278 Avg RED
06/07/07 RIVRSIDE Lease $59,000 5,234 Above RED
06/14/07 CHICAGO Lease $44,000 24,174 Below SILVER
07/05/07 RIVRSIDE Lease $43,500 28,966 Below BLUE
07/19/07 RIVRSIDE Regular $48,500 5,784 Avg BLUE

05 Spyder:
08/31/05 W PALM Regular $66,800 3,495 Above RED
02/14/07 W PALM Regular $55,600 23,566 Avg SILVER
03/22/07 MANHEIM Regular $58,750 9,923 Avg GRIOGIO
05/03/07 MANHEIM Regular $58,750 10,494 Avg BLUE
08/02/07 RIVRSIDE Lease $55,500 8,194 Avg GREY

06 Spyder:
01/16/07 BIG H Regular $74,000 1,065 Above NONE
03/29/07 RIVRSIDE Lease $69,000 6,654 Above BLACK
04/05/07 MANHEIM Regular $76,750 4,238 Above GREY
05/17/07 MANHEIM Regular $70,500 4,264 Above BLACK

Hope this info helps you out. It is possible that one of the local dealers to these auctions could have one of these cars for sale in your neighborhood. You know how much you can bargain with. But remember the condition is listed also. So the dealer might have some body work to do plus inspections. Always see the miles too. Obviously lower mileage cars bring more money. If you find a Spyder locally look at the mileage and see if it matchs the miles listed in the lists above. In most cases the dealer advetises the car with the same miles as listed when they purchased it from the auction. I have seen similar mileage cars listed on Ebay and the mark up is substantial. But then again we do have the right. :):) :)

Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. If I can get on any e-mail/distribution list when you publish this info from time to time, please let me know!

Mark

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree, thanks for the info Jeff. It pretty much supports the pricing I was thinking. I offered $65k on a low milage '05. That should be good enought to make a deal but the dealer blew me off without a second thought.

I don't begrudge dealers a profit, that is why they are in business. I may be wrong but 10% margin should be in the ballpark. As I understand the business they look to turn the money 3-4 times per year. Is that about right?

Even if it is difficult to get a clean high end car, how does it benefit a dealer to have money tied up in a car and keep it sitting on the lot? Dead money isn't making anything and it still costs the opportunity cost.

Oh well. I think I will look for a GS instead. More difficult to find but the seats fit me better and, as a result, it has more headroom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealers will always hold onto a car rather than sell it at a loss. Selling at a loss is a bad business decision. The dealers I've talked to say no sale is better than a bad sale.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Dealers will always hold onto a car rather than sell it at a loss. Selling at a loss is a bad business decision. The dealers I've talked to say no sale is better than a bad sale.
but no sale could lead to extremely bad sale in the future considering the way these things are depreciating. i guess it is really up to the dealers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but no sale could lead to extremely bad sale in the future considering the way these things are depreciating. i guess it is really up to the dealers.
I agree. Rapid depreciation along with carrying costs, warranty expiration, soft market, etc. doesn't make a lot of sense to hold onto a vehicle. For every car they may lose money on, they might make up for it on the next sale. The profit margins are typically higher on used versus new, so I would think one would want to cut his/her losses sooner than later, but I'm certainly no expert. The convertible season will end shortly and winter will be here soon. Lets see how market conditions are in a few months...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Spyder prices

Hi Guys,

I think there are quite a few dealers left with one or two new (06) cars still unsold. Once I decided on a GS Spyder instead of Porsche etc. I called every dealer in the country looking for a deal. Many dealers were holding firm on window or the Maserati factory rebate, but would budge no further. I have had my car for the 3 months and bought it brand new from a dealer that was left with three. I got my pick and a full warranty for $82k. Many of these stubborn dealers are really going to get hung or take and even greater beating as more time goes by. Sometimes in business you have to know when to cut your losses and move on. I know I'm sure happy my particluar dealer saw the light. In case any of you are wondering they moved the remaining two shortly after my purchase. SB

·
Registered
240 Posts
I followed a 2003 spyder around. it was at SF maserati with 10k miles and was on sale forever. asking price was 55k.

I saw the same car landed a dealership in utah. it was on sale for at least 4 months and the asking price was 45k. I assume it went for less then that.

I just have all my $$$ tied up and being in the mortgage business I could be buying a toyota soon :(

but I think an 2003 can be bought for 40-48k

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your in the market you should wait. If you wonder why....

1. Sales on vehicles overall are slow because "lease" options on many vehicles are just excellent.
2. "08 is right around the corner.
3. New Maserati talks are already in! Vehicle is soon to be launched in the US.
4. Sales will slump after summer.
5. A lot of people arn't willing to buy a vehicle of this caliber w\o warrenty.
6. Economy is down.
7. The longer a vehicle stays in the market the less people will start offering for it.

Anyone have any input?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hi Guys,

I think there are quite a few dealers left with one or two new (06) cars still unsold. Once I decided on a GS Spyder instead of Porsche etc. I called every dealer in the country looking for a deal. Many dealers were holding firm on window or the Maserati factory rebate, but would budge no further. I have had my car for the 3 months and bought it brand new from a dealer that was left with three. I got my pick and a full warranty for $82k. Many of these stubborn dealers are really going to get hung or take and even greater beating as more time goes by. Sometimes in business you have to know when to cut your losses and move on. I know I'm sure happy my particluar dealer saw the light. In case any of you are wondering they moved the remaining two shortly after my purchase. SB
$82k is a good deal. the topic here is used spyders.
new 06 spyder is a different story. those are the remaining ones left. there is no 07 spyders. nada. no maserati convertibles for another 12 months. i am not surprised they are holding on to them until they find the right buyer. the dealer asking price on these 06 spyders is not relevant to actual traded prices of used spyders.

wait til the new spyder is announced, and these 06 spyders are already 2 years old new stock, then they will likely let them go quick.

·
Registered
103 Posts
OK, I am new here (hi everyone!), but I have been looking for a low-mileage '02 or '03 Coupe or Spyder, and judging by the above-posted dealer auction results, the dealers must be taking it in the shorts. I have seen several low-mileage cars under $40k now, but not one even close to that on the auction results.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think we all concur that if you're not in a hurry, wait it out. It's only a matter if time where the newer model that was out of your reach is suddenly affordable.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not all used cars are created equal.

In searching for a used car, I would rule out off lease cars, multiple owner cars, as well as cars without a service history.
A car with body repairs would not even be considered.

It is my feeling that the Manheim cars are not the cream of the crop, but represent the bottom of the barrel.

Comparing values of the cars with what transpires at an auction may not be comparing apples to apples.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts