Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a little on the Ferrari F430 and considering it has the same engine block as our beloved Vehicles. I am sure we can get the same power without sacrificing our warranties with the following:

1. LSD - Limited Slip Differentials
2. Free Flowing Headers
3. Free Flowing Catalytic Converters
4. ECU - Eurotek or Leo Nardo
5. Racing Cams

See I am thinking if anyone has done all these mods let me know what the costs are?

The ease of changing all of these items back to stock would be relatively easy, if say we want to resell the cars later, if they are all mostly bolt on. correct.

And we would be pushing almost the same power as the F430, I think that sounds good what you guys think??

·
Registered
530 Posts
Cars already have LSD, but that's not really going to change/improve HP figures anyway - just make it easier to get to the ground.

There's a thread elsewhere talking about engine differences. The Ferrari has a flat plane crank while ours appear to be cross plane. Might get the redline higher. Ferrari also has slightly (very) more displacement implying different pistons. The 430 also has a 5 valve head.

Read somewhere that the Maser's tuned for torque and the Ferrari's tuned for high reves and HP.

ECU's probably your best betfor a quick and dirty HP increase without sacrificing driveability.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but the LSD doesnt really work

If i turn off the MSP and try to launch my GS, it just spins the tires all the way into 2nd gear. And with it on, and the Sport mode on, it still spinning...

So you know i was reading up on the Kleeman website that with an LSD from them for a Mercedes it improves actual 1/4 mile runs by .3 - .4 seconds. If we had a race one on our cars im sure we can be running pretty close to say a stock 360 Modena.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you're spinning both tires, that's all a LSD can do. It won't back off the gas for you, or make the tires stickier!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Deane's correct. you're only going to get so much out of LSD. It's not a substitute for launch control.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, but to maximize launch, something has to take the slippage. If it isn't the tires, it will be the clutch. I think launch control maximizes the engine rpm, and uses clutch slip to get the fastest possible launch without spinning the tires. Personally, I would rather deal with burning a bit of rubber off my tires as opposed to burning off clutch material.
Am I missing something?
Also, I think the launch control concept applies only to the CC transmission, right? With a manual, the driver is essentially the launch control computer, controlling engine rpm, clutch engagement/slippage, and tire slippage directly.
Mike

·
Registered
530 Posts
MikeA said:
Also, I think the launch control concept applies only to the CC transmission, right? With a manual, the driver is essentially the launch control computer, controlling engine rpm, clutch engagement/slippage, and tire slippage directly.
Mike
Correct. Launch control requires some sort of electronically controlled transmission, drive by wire throttle, and wheel sensor. The LC computer reads the wheelspin and figures out the correct amount of clutch engagement and throttle advancement to provide max traction/power application.

With a traditional manual the driver is the computer and responsible for sensing the wheelspin (with or without LSD) and modulating the throttle and clutch appropriately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts