Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have recently acquired a 2008 GT that has the USB (power only) and aux port in the glove compartment. I bought a simple bluetooth connector that goes from one to the other and it works great for music.
SoundBot Bluetooth connector

I can stream music from my phone over the speakers, but I noticed that when I receive a phone call, it does not use the speakers or microphone. Is it possible to make bluetooth phone calls using speakers/microphone on these early models?
Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If your music is working through your 3rd party device and your calls aren't, then something is wrong with your bluetooth configuration on your phone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The music works fine, but calls will not work. Since I am using the aux port in the glove compartment, I was assuming that is probably not going to fully integrate with the car's microphone. I know these North America cars were not supposed to have the ability to do phone calls from the factory according to the owner's manual.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check your phone, it should say connected voice, music. If it says just connected music you won't send or receive phone calls.

Every Bluetooth device I have owned has operated that way. It uses its own mic for input and sends the audio through its output.

My GT has no aux, so I use a FM transmitter Bluetooth (actually not too horrible) and calls work fine through the car speakers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ideally, I wanted it to integrate with the car microphone as this obviously has a static position for that purpose. My other cars integrate both the car speakers and the car microphone when using bluetooth. However, if this isn't possible with a 2008, then I can make sure that my mobile phone is in a holder so that it's internal mic can pick up my voice for calls. I'll check it later when I get home. Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
I really don't think the car can access the inbuilt mic for calls via the 3.5mm Aux connection. Apart from anything else, as far as I know it's only a 3 way connector (TRS) not a 4-way (TRRS) so there's not even a signal path for the mic....

That being the case, I suspect what's happening is that the phone is detecting there's no external mic (via the BT dongle) and when a call comes in, pulling all the audio back.

What would give you the functionality you need would be a Parrot type install. I've done it on a GT gives full iPod control and audio / phone streaming via the speakers and an external mic (I didn't use the one in the car). It's probably a 2 hour job, depedning on your confidence level and experience.
C

·
Registered
685 Posts
So quick question:
On my 2016 GT using a Samsung Galaxy S9 if I connect to Bluetooth and make a call I get the usual "you sound like your in a toilet is everything ok?" response....so it that the car microphone? (not sure where it is)

If I were to use the Bovie Bluetooth phone adaptor that I bought won't that STILL go through the car microphone? Hence not solving the sound quality issue?

(Note: I bought the Bovie adapter to play music via my phone but have never set it up as of yet)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts