Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I was wondering if tuning the ECU would make a difference...

Also... Are they all built the same?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
The ECUs coming out of the Maserati factory should be the same as any other car part.

Tuning them, the right way, does produce performance gains, though there is generally a trade off against fuel consumption/engine longevity and clutch wear.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I meant was... I've seen different ecu upgrades... is there a difference between all of them?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
do a search and you will see almost everyone claims theirs to be better than others.
there are many owners who upgraded and will offer good advice to you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've tried doing a search for ecu... but it's too short of a word.

·
Registered
660 Posts
hmmm....
try searching 'chip upgrade' 'engine tuning' etc etc.
lots of info already.
The hardware for the OEM ECU would be the same, I reckon, but what factory does is to revise (upgrade) the software dumped into the ECU ROM. When my ECU went kaput last year, factory sent to Maserati GB their latest software upgrade, which was then installed by my dealer after they too had to make an upgrade to their SD3 system to upload the program onto the ECU unit.

So basically I got the ECU re-flashed. The SD3 upgrade was needed because the new software had additional engine parameters loaded which are not part of the standard configuration (what the diagnostics system monitors).

HTH.

·
Registered
133 Posts
are all ECU's the same? no is the short answer. Basically they are little computers (ie processing units) which take a number of input variables & gives out a number of outputs.

The main difference tends to be the resolution - ie the number of points it can calculate or have set the fuel air mixture. Other differences tend to be linked to the feed back loops - like lambda sensors, normal vs wideband etc.

Google :D

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
There are only a few tuners who have experience in the Maserati realm. Check with owners to see their results. A few of our customers have written reviews of our ECM on this forum, the Drive by Wire will be release within the week.

We currently offer (2) products in this area.

* Formula Dynamics ECM (Engine Control Module) - provides more power and torque over the stock ECU alone. It's good for increased throttle response and a boost of power We also do not overwrite your factory programming. You can always get the factory updates without interference.

* Formula Dynamics DBWEM (Drive By Wire Enhancement Module) - this product provides a dramatic increase in throttle reponse and clutch engagement (for CambioCorsa F1 models). The factory system was designed with more of a luxury driver in mind. Our enhancement is specifically designed to get as much as possible from the factory equipment. One way of understanding this modification is that the car is always "Armed for War" or "Ready for Battle" When you decide to go, the car will give you everything it's got without any interference. This gives the car a very connected, true sports car feel. ( Although the MSP Traction control is still active )

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yea...I want it too! (unless it weighs 500 lbs :D )

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Jeff...

* Formula Dynamics DBWEM (Drive By Wire Enhancement Module) - this product provides a dramatic increase in throttle reponse and clutch engagement (for CambioCorsa F1 models). The factory system was designed with more of a luxury driver in mind. Our enhancement is specifically designed to get as much as possible from the factory equipment. One way of understanding this modification is that the car is always "Armed for War" or "Ready for Battle" When you decide to go, the car will give you everything it's got without any interference. This gives the car a very connected, true sports car feel. ( Although the MSP Traction control is still active )

So Jeff is the DBWEM an ECU and TCU piggy back system? Would the TCU portion of this also extend clutch life because it's not acting as a 90 year old woman making a shift but is instead making the shifts crisp and quicker?

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
So Jeff is the DBWEM an ECU and TCU piggy back system? Would the TCU portion of this also extend clutch life because it's not acting as a 90 year old woman making a shift but is instead making the shifts crisp and quicker?
The DBWEM is a hardware component ( approx 1lb ;) ) which connects to the same harness as our ECM and is seperate of the TCU. However the TCU uses triggers from the Drive by Wire system. We advance these triggers so that you get faster clutch engagements, especially off from a standing start where you burn your clutch the most. We believe that it will result in significantly extended clutch life. You no longer need to sit and wait for the car to stop feathering the clutch on starts. It can be used as a standalone product, it will work with other ECU re-flashes, however it will work best in conjunction with our ECM Power Chip. We will also offer a discount if they are purchased together. Pricing will be coming shortly, hang on tight.

I believe that Ali and perhaps another customer may provide a review of the system shortly. Ali should be able to demonstrate the DBWEM and the Larini Exhaust on his upcoming drive in Southern California next weekend. He purchased one of our first installs and has been testing the product.

We may work on a TCU upgrade as well however we plan to complete the On the Fly adjustable Skyhook Enhancement next.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Ali!!!

Please post the results when you are done! This is an amazing update!!! The guys back in Modena might like to have this one!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want in :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts