Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering whether or not spend the $700 my dealer charges me for changing the connector on my glove compartment and updating the software so I can integrate the iPhone with the sound system. I am happy with the sound coming from the sound system hard drive, but it is a slow process to upload every new music album. When I plug in the iphone to the AUX port, sound quality is not great to say the least.

Questions:

1) is the sound quality better or equal to for example playing a CD on the car?
2) is the sound better than connecting the iPhone/iPod thru the aux port on the glove compartment using the headphone outlet of the iphone/ipod?
3) is the sound better than connecting the iPod to the aux compartment using a cable that goes to the iPod connector, so I bypass the headphone amplifier of the ipod
4) can I manage playlists, albums, etc from the Maserati screen or do I still need to manage things thru the iPhone screen?

Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but I could not make an iPhone work on the full usb connection in my 10' GT. An iPod gen 4 does work and displays playlists and contents of playlists on the nav screen. Control is limited to choosing a playlist and then song. You can skip around using the for/rev buttons on the steering wheel. I've yet to find a way to pause and restart a song though unless changing source to radio and then back to iPod. Sound is fine but I think CD's are a little nicer. Sometimes it is not reliable however as the system can't find the iPod then all of a sudden it will start playing. Overall I'm glad I have the full usb but the system as a whole is not well done.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about anyone else but I could not make an iPhone work on the full usb connection in my 10' GT. An iPod gen 4 does work and displays playlists and contents of playlists on the nav screen. Control is limited to choosing a playlist and then song. You can skip around using the for/rev buttons on the steering wheel. I've yet to find a way to pause and restart a song though unless changing source to radio and then back to iPod. Sound is fine but I think CD's are a little nicer. Sometimes it is not reliable however as the system can't find the iPod then all of a sudden it will start playing. Overall I'm glad I have the full usb but the system as a whole is not well done.
thanks so much! looks like a waste of money and rather buy a new iPod4 dedicated to the car and a better cable to connect via aux and deal with the nuance of not controlling the system through the nav system...

BTW have you asked your dealer for a software update under warranty to see if that solves your issues?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had my ipod connected through glove box as well. steering bottons can scroll through songs and playlists. I have had a strange issue when i'm listening to the ipod, and the system switches the source on its own. that's happened twice, and have no idea why. From the sound perspective, i don't think it sounds any better or worse than a cd. haven't used the jukebox option yet since i have the connection through my ipod. Also, don't have an iphone so not sure of its connectivity.

·
Registered
242 Posts
thanks so much! looks like a waste of money and rather buy a new iPod4 dedicated to the car and a better cable to connect via aux and deal with the nuance of not controlling the system through the nav system...

BTW have you asked your dealer for a software update under warranty to see if that solves your issues?
Not yet as I will be storing the GT for the winter at the dealer so I will have them do any updates next spring when she comes out of hibernation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
None of the software updates are covered by warranty, MNA will not pay the dealer for performing them. Most dealers will perform them if you are a valued client and particularly if you are having other work done. It is a little time consuming and the steps must be followed very carefully. It is a dealer by dealer decision.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just paid $77.50 to update my 09 GTS. So far it seems as if the phone hooks up better and the radio buttons actually work when I press them now. Before it was hit and miss depending on what mood it was in I guess.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My iPhone has always worked through the full connection on my '09 GTS but the system does sometimes take a significant amount of time to find the iPhone/iPod and then it doesn't always respond as it should to commands. I have had the software updated but the performance has not been improved, it is still a little hit and miss.

As for sound quality, if you have the Bose upgraded system the only source the surround option works with is CD, it does not work with the radio, jukebox or iPod. I was astonished when I found this out but there it is. I also think the overall quiality is best with CD but who wants to carry around a case of CDs these days. Ipods are the way forward, I just wish car manufacturers in general and Maserati in particular would devote the time and resource into making sure the interface works as it should.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ipod in 09 GT

I also have an -09 GT that has the usb for power only and aux port for the ipod. I had an old ipod mini with a remote control port on top. I hooked a RF transmitter to the ipod and using a small remote which i leave in the space in front of the stick shift, I can change the songs, change the volume and mostly turn it on and off without opening the glove box. It sounds the same to me as the jukebox or cd. Its called a Griffin Air Click. I found it online for $8. While not as good a solution as built in for the infrequent use its fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
iPod/iPhone Connection

Check this out:

motorMOUTH II - Handsfree Car Kit

Just ordered one today. I think I can plug this unit into the AUX input and also use the USB port to keep the unit charged. That way I can keep everything in the glove compartment and hopefully control everything from the dashboard in order to listen to tunes on my iPhone4.

Stay tuned . . . I'll review ASAP.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What we have found is that MNA recommends the use of the IPod Nano for your music. You can not (or in most cases) use the IPhone as a music player and hands free phone with the NIT. We have had the NIT recognize the Touch and sometimes the IPhone, only to lose it's connection moments later.

If there is an update, I am not aware of it. I will check Maserati Extranet in the morning to see whats available.

·
Registered
48 Posts
overall the Bose sound is crap:thumbsdown:, iphones work for 20 seconds then unit switched back to radio, my unit crashes all the time and has to reset, very annoying when Satnav is engaged, i use an ipod5 for the music, scrolling through the menues is slow but you get used to it, the scrolling text at the bottom of the screen is bloody annoying and cannot be turned off, only turns off radio text.you realise how crap this all is when you get into another car and listen to the same track with better base and definition.
very poor for a £90k car , still the engine sounds nice

·
Registered
628 Posts
overall the Bose sound is crap:thumbsdown:, iphones work for 20 seconds then unit switched back to radio, my unit crashes all the time and has to reset, very annoying when Satnav is engaged, i use an ipod5 for the music, scrolling through the menues is slow but you get used to it, the scrolling text at the bottom of the screen is bloody annoying and cannot be turned off, only turns off radio text.you realise how crap this all is when you get into another car and listen to the same track with better base and definition.
Hi Spice,

What year and model? I've never been able to tell from the forums if the iPod just shows all of your songs, or does it also sort by Song/Artist/Genre etc?

I have an Audi, and the AMI is superb. Just like searching on the iPod, and my iPhone4 works flawlessly in it too! I haven't got a chance to play with the electrics in my car as it's in storage since I bought a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Spice,

What year and model? I've never been able to tell from the forums if the iPod just shows all of your songs, or does it also sort by Song/Artist/Genre etc?

I have an Audi, and the AMI is superb. Just like searching on the iPod, and my iPhone4 works flawlessly in it too! I haven't got a chance to play with the electrics in my car as it's in storage since I bought a few weeks ago.
Hi bvanzy
A 2010 GTS auto , you can select search mode , Playlist , artist Album etc, and scroll through list of songs, but when you rteturn you have to start all over again, not good if you want ZZtop :laugh: and once you have selected the album you only see the whole song list once, you then have to use buttons to find track, name scrolls along the bottom which is also annoying. The best interface i have ever used is The 08 BMW i control :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the an 09 GT with the USB power only connection. I updated to the full iPod integration but it's still not great in terms of control. The sound is fine... Just as good as the jukebox but not as clean as a cd. Still, it was worth it not to have to control my iPod nano through the glovebox. Also got the nav software update which is key. I can see the street names now!

·
Registered
48 Posts
summer will be here soon so windows down , 2nd gear 4500rpm and slight throttle lift for wonderful music of another type :2thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
I have installed a Kenwood Touchscreen in my 2007 QP. The iPhone works fine with this system but you have to make the following two interventions on the iPhone after plugging it into the dock connection:

1. click OK to the iPhone message which is saying it is connected to a an incompatible device
  2. going to the iPod menu and changing the output channel to "Dock Connector" as opposed to the bluetooth option, which it defaults to as the iPhone is also acting as a phone through bluetooth
Wondering if the same would work for you guys on your Maserati systems?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I currently see no update for the NIT to support anything other than newer BT phones and "OS".

We get the nano to work perfectly and everything else works for about ten minutes, or not at all after you do a restart.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Scoshe Bluetooth review

Check this out:

motorMOUTH II - Handsfree Car Kit

Just ordered one today. I think I can plug this unit into the AUX input and also use the USB port to keep the unit charged. That way I can keep everything in the glove compartment and hopefully control everything from the dashboard in order to listen to tunes on my iPhone4.

Stay tuned . . . I'll review ASAP.
I own a 2009 GT-S (USA).

Recieved the above-mentioned product the other day and put it to use. I've attached two pics (hope this works). The first is a pic of the device plugged into the Aux input in the glovebox. The second shows the USB power cord connected to the device.

I keep the USB connected to the device so it is always charged. The device connected to my Iphone4 via bluetooth in a snap. I activated the Aux input from my Nav Menu and started my Ipod app on my Iphone.

There are a few quirks: I had to turn my Aux input volume ALL the way up, as well as the volume on my Iphone in order to get decent sound. I can't turn it up any further to get window-rattling sound, but it is sufficient for normal listening.
I also had to tweak the Aux input Bass, Treble and Fade settings to get the best sound. I'm not really pleased with the bass output. I don't think it is as good as when I have my Ipod connected directly to the Aux input.
Also, it seems my Aux input connection is rather loose. If I don't have the male plug of the Scoshe Bluetooth device or the cord that I use for my Ipod plugged in just right, it sounds like I'm listening to mono in a tin can. I consider that poor quality on Mas's behalf. You can't install a more solid plug?

All-in-all, the device works well for me to listen to my tunes from my phone. I'm still amazed that the USA model won't allow you to use the USB port to upload your Itunes library to the car's hard drive. Is there some new upgrade or modification available that enables me to do this?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
I own a 2009 GT-S (USA).
I'm still amazed that the USA model won't allow you to use the USB port to upload your Itunes library to the car's hard drive. Is there some new upgrade or modification available that enables me to do this?
Is that just a USA specification? I wonder if it could also be due to legal reasons e.g. Apple discouraging replication to non-Apple databases?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts