Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to use K and N and others on many cars and always wondered if it made a difference; it sounded better but never was sure if it was all "show and no go"..........any thoughts? Dogdoc

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have also been a K&N customer on other toys, the Maserati has a BMC filter.
I'm quite happy with the performance improvement using the BMC.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thought the BMC filter made a difference...

I used to use K and N and others on many cars and always wondered if it made a difference; it sounded better but never was sure if it was all "show and no go"..........any thoughts? Dogdoc
Got my Red BMC Filter from FD. I had my mechanic install it at the 18,000 mile service, along with all fluids filters and plugs.

When I got the car back I noticed it seemed more responsive. I do not know if thats from the BMC filter, or would any good filter bring on a more responsive feel after 18,000 miles...

CM

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can I install the BMC air filter myself?

IS it hard or what; is this the one from Formula Dynamics?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Remove the left front wheel and the front half of the wheel-well liner.
The air box is accessable from that point. There are three release clamps to
remove the housing cover - revealing the air filter. Replace with new one and reverse process to reinstall removed components.

Start car and drive .... :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Getting the front liner out of the wheel well is the only finicky part, but no big deal. I installed a BMC. No big change in performance but at least it's cleanable and has a little nicer intake sound. It's pretty much just like a K&N setup. Formula Dynamics was a great business to deal with.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Can I install the BMC air filter myself?

I changed to the BMC air filter during my last oil change. I have a '04 CC coupe with 9,000 miles. The filter was disappointing at first because in sport mode the car shifted slower than before. It tooks some time for the ECU to register the change in set up and now I find that the sport mode is back to its old quick self. I would suggest that you drive the car "hard" after you install the filter so that the ECU registers an agressive drive. Someone mentioned that I could unplug the car from the battery and then plug it back in to reset the ECU. I chose not to do this as I did not want to mess around with the electical set up of the car. The shifts are smoother than before, especially in gear one and two. However, don't expect a big change in power as I am not sure the perceived change, if any, makes a difference. The big change is in the smoother shifts. I recommend the change and FD was a delight to deal with. I also bought the springs, but have not installed them yet. I am waiting for the waranty to exprie in the July 2008 before I lower the car. Good luck and enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts