Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the price of the pads? rotors? did you do it at the dealer?

I ask, because, I had a paranoid moment about 6 months ago and thought I heard metal to metal and was in need of pads. I called the dealer and I beleive they quoted me $1200 pads for each axle.

I then went to my local shop who checked my pad life and told me a was only 40% worn. They looked at the brake system and found it to be an off the shelf Brembo 4 Piston system with parts available at any Brembo dealer. They beleived the pads would cost $400 per axle.

Perhaps Kevin at MVP, could you clarify if our Pads are car/dealer specific? Is there a Part # from Brembo?

thanks!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Whats the recommended mileage for brakes?

Demoe:

I was checking some performace brake sites online to get an idea of replacement pad prices. No one listed Maserati, but a few had Ferrari and Lambo.

I saw replacement pads from HAWK and AXEL for $150.00 or less per axel. $300.00 - $400.00 seems reasonable for the parts. Add another 4 hours or less from a quality brake shop $300.00 in Labor. You might be able to get a quality brake job for under $700.00.

Anyone on the board do a brake job on their Maserati? What was the mileage?

Let us know how you make out. CM

·
Registered
681 Posts
First of all there are two variables that are going to determine the price of your brake pads.

-Whether you need standard pads or the optional yellow pagid pads. The yellow pagid pads are roughly 2 times the price of the standard pads so you really need to take this into consideration.

- How long you are willing to wait for the pads.

If you need the pads right away, I can order them from Maserati North America and get them right away for regular pricing. If you're willing to wait an extra few weeks, I can get them from Italy direct for a little cheaper.

I will tell you this $1,200/axle is a ripoff for pads. I have the pads for $450/axle and if anybody is trying to charge $750/axle to do labor on brake pads, I'd reconsider ever taking my car there again.

As far as getting them direct from Brembo this is not a possibility. Whenever Brembo makes aftermarket parts such as big brake kits, I can get replacement pads for that item. But whenever they supply a company such as Maserati or Ferrari with brake systems, I cannot get that part from Brembo. I have to buy it from Ferrari or Maserati. They have exclusivity to the items they invested R&D into and made for their cars.

Hope this was helpful, if you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same

I not 100% sure, but I believe that the Maser Coupe uses the exact same brake system as the Ferrari 550 Maranello. So pads/discs should be the same and there should be a lot of choices where to buy them.

Perhaps a dealer on this forum, or someone with access to both cars can confirm?

- Jon

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MVP said:
First of all there are two variables that are going to determine the price of your brake pads.

I will tell you this $1,200/axle is a ripoff for pads. I have the pads for $450/axle and if anybody is trying to charge $750/axle to do labor on brake pads, I'd reconsider ever taking my car there again.

Kevin

so are you saying the Stock pads are $450 per Axle from Maserati NA?

It was several months ago, and while the quote from FM of Silicon Valley may not have been $1200 (although i am fairly sure), it was a jaw dropping amount. Had I been told $450, or even $600, I would have been able to keep my lunch down.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Demoe, FMSV quoted me $6,500 for a clutch replacement. FMSF quoted $2500. When I told them I had a firm quote of $2500 from another Maserati dealer they came down to $5000.

It's a PITA to drive to Marin, but I'll never do business with FMSV again.

I'm going to see Gino tomorrow when I pick up the car, I'll try to remember to ask him the price.

·
Registered
278 Posts
MVP what are yellow pagid pads and what is the advantage???

I changed my rear pads (QP) and paid 310Eu for them. Since the rear pads do not have a warning for usage I went without pads during my vacation and at the end it was steel on steel so I also replaced the rear brake discs. Nornmal ones were 700Eu (pair) but I put the cross-drilled ones of the Sport GT which were 1.200Eu. Front brake pads are arond 410eu. (prices: original maserati parts, per axle, no labour).

·
Registered
681 Posts
demoe said:
Kevin

so are you saying the Stock pads are $450 per Axle from Maserati NA?

It was several months ago, and while the quote from FM of Silicon Valley may not have been $1200 (although i am fairly sure), it was a jaw dropping amount. Had I been told $450, or even $600, I would have been able to keep my lunch down.
Yes, and that's before I throw in a discount.

JGT said:
MVP what are yellow pagid pads and what is the advantage???
More for people who use their car for the track. Description from Pagid.

"Best compound for endurance racing on the basis of the RS 14. A slight reduction of the friction value improves the modulation. Nevertheless, the friction value is enough for cars without power-assisted brake system and ensures comfortable low effort on the brake pedal. Constant temperatures up to 600°C (1.100°F) are possible. The combination of friction value, fading stability and low wear rates on pads and discs realised with this pad compound is unmatched up to now. Due to its outstanding wear rate and driveability also used at many sprint races. Application: All endurance racing cars from group N (Speed-WC, Grand Am Cup) up to GT and Sport-Prototypes. A multiple winner of Daytona 24h, Le Mans 24h, Sebring 12h, Spa 24 h, Nürburgring 24h, often with no pad change and usually no disc change. "

·
Registered
390 Posts
What about rotors? Mine are a little warped. Only a little, I'm sure they can be resurfaced, but I wonder what replacements cost.

Replacement Brembos all around for my Jeep ran a whopping $200 WITH shipping. Heh.

·
Registered
742 Posts
What mileage is everyone getting on their brake pads?

At what approximate mileage should we plan on replacing our brake pads?

Are there any Maserati specific signs we should be focused on?

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chris7469 said:
At what approximate mileage should we plan on replacing our brake pads?

Are there any Maserati specific signs we should be focused on?

Thanks. CM
I beleive there is a "dummy" light on our cars when the pads reach the depth where they require replacement.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Problem is the warning-light only works on the front pads....rear pads have no sensor as I found out the hard way......I am heading again for a long trip. I replaced my rear pads recently but the front were "good for another 5000km just in timefor my 30.000km service" they said at the time. Does anybody know how soon the lights warns you? Can you do an extra 100 miles or 1000 miles under normal road conditions when the light comes on? Don't wanna be stuck again with worn brake pads in the middle of my trip. The bad thing having a Maserati is that there are very few service points and they are are snowed under so no easy next week pad replacement once the light comes on. Thanks

·
Registered
390 Posts
demoe said:
I beleive there is a "dummy" light on our cars when the pads reach the depth where they require replacement.
I found out the hard way that that light never worked on my Porsche. I don't trust them anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts