Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought Maserati was in the same class (the entry level exotic) as Ferrari, Aston, Lambo etc... I tend to think of it as an entry level Ferrari. As do other people...

However, Maserati Boss Kalbfell quit the company in apparent dispair over its future direction... "We've got a situation where prospective customers immediately associate the Maserati name with the likes of Aston Martin, Ferrari and even Lamborghini. That is simply not the case," Kalbfee said in an interview. The real rivals are Audi, BMW and Benz....

Having owned a BMW and Two Benzs.. I think our cars are in a different league? What am I missing?

That is the new target audience of Maserati.... Maserati will not longer be sold in Ferrari Showrooms, it will be sold with Fiat in Fiat Showrooms??

Doesn't seem like the people inside of Maserati think very highly of the Brand or their cars??

Any thoughts? CM

·
Registered
695 Posts
chris7469 said:
That is the new target audience of Maserati.... Maserati will not longer be sold in Ferrari Showrooms, it will be sold with Fiat in Fiat Showrooms?? CM
More specifically, it will be sold with Alfa Romero in Alfa/Maserati showrooms. Since Maserati has been moved from under the stewardship of Ferrari, I have notice some Maserati stand alone stores. I have been in one stand alone Maserati store already. (Stand alone in the sense that the store was a large high-end multi conglomerate - Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Porsche. They just picked up Maserati about six months ago. But No Ferrari.)

·
Registered
528 Posts
chris7469 said:
I always thought Maserati was in the same class (the entry level exotic) as Ferrari, Aston, Lambo etc... I tend to think of it as an entry level Ferrari. As do other people...

However, Maserati Boss Kalbfell quit the company in apparent dispair over its future direction... "We've got a situation where prospective customers immediately associate the Maserati name with the likes of Aston Martin, Ferrari and even Lamborghini. That is simply not the case," Kalbfee said in an interview. The real rivals are Audi, BMW and Benz....

Having owned a BMW and Two Benzs.. I think our cars are in a different league? What am I missing?

That is the new target audience of Maserati.... Maserati will not longer be sold in Ferrari Showrooms, it will be sold with Fiat in Fiat Showrooms??

Doesn't seem like the people inside of Maserati think very highly of the Brand or their cars??

Any thoughts? CM
If the real rivals were Audi, BMW and Benz.... Maserati would be running advertisements on TV, just like the competitors.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I might start saving my money for a 612 scag.......

·
Registered
160 Posts
Another sign

http://carbuying.autoblog.com/2007/02/08/chicago-auto-show-maserati-officially-launches-trident-discover/

Quotes:
"We are not an exotic."
"want to seduce a potential 7-Series or S-Class AMG buyer"

chris7469 said:
Maserati will not longer be sold in Ferrari Showrooms, it will be sold with Fiat in Fiat Showrooms??
Worse still, I can't think how they are going to sell Fiat next to a Ferrari and ask the Fiat guy to pay the same labor rate as the Ferrari guy. :confused: Please MNA, just show us how you are going to bring the Fiat brand back to the US without effecting Maserati and Ferari sales.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMHO, if Maserati plans to compete directly with BMW, Benz, etc., then they better begin rapidly expanding their dealer / service network...and FAST!! Lack of a local nearby service dept. is a big negative for those looking to purchase a luxury/sport car for daily use (especially if it's for the wife, etc.).

Otherwise, I would think that those prospective buyers will continue to stick with the other brands for the most part.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think the comment reflects how MNA "wants" to be seen, not how it's currently seen. I believe if the Dino, which will be a 2+2 V8 GT, and the current Maserati coupe were both considered Ferrari, they wouldn't sell many Dino's. They're just too similar in looks and performance. If Maserati wants to sell a million cars and compete with the Germans, you WILL see automatics, TV advertising and fully inclusive warranties. That Dino looks like a great next car!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sad really....I bet Alfieri would be pissed. Maserati is better than BMW (etc). A Maserati is for the connoisseur, the others (high end BMW, MB) are for well-off "non-car-guys" who want something more expensive to impress, they want the extra panache to separate them from the plebs in the crowd, something to show off that "they made it." The Maserati is for the lover of something unique and special, for someone who appreciates the history of the storied marque.
I think Maserati/Fiat is on the brink of a huge mistake.
If this comes to pass I don't care how good looking the car is I'll switch to a car for the discriminating connoisseur, likely a Ferrari Dino (if it exists) or a 612 scag (several yeasr old of course).

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think people are on to "us"......

The powers that be began to realize what us owners already know... These cars are some of the best bang for your buck out there.....

You get the exclusivity of a top level exotic (low numbers produced), great performance and yes.... Practicality.... (daily driver) Plus a back seat.... and so on....

Someone does not want this trend to continue.

I don't understand why Maserati would want to cut ties with Ferrari and hop into bed with Alfa.. Just to compete with Benz, BMW, Lexus and Audi?? Good luck.... I bet they get crushed.

When I think of Maserati I do not think of a luxury coupe at all... I think of a sexy sorta practical limited produced GT .....

Whats next in the Maserati line? A hatchback starting at 19,900..??

Does anyone know if they will continue producing the coupe and gransport?

CM

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
chris7469 said:
The powers that be began to realize what us owners already know... These cars are some of the best bang for your buck out there.....

You get the exclusivity of a top level exotic (low numbers produced), great performance and yes.... Practicality.... (daily driver) Plus a back seat.... and so on....

Someone does not want this trend to continue.

I don't understand why Maserati would want to cut ties with Ferrari and hop into bed with Alfa.. Just to compete with Benz, BMW, Lexus and Audi?? Good luck.... I bet they get crushed.

When I think of Maserati I do not think of a luxury coupe at all... I think of a sexy sorta practical limited produced GT .....

Whats next in the Maserati line? A hatchback starting at 19,900..??

Does anyone know if they will continue producing the coupe and gransport?

CM
With the lack of an 07 model coupe, spyder and GS, the writing is on the wall. Our cars are officially extinct. The QP was face lifted and fitted with an auto in preperation to be paired with the new coupe. What happens when MNA realizes they CAN'T compete with BMW and Merc? :mad:

·
Registered
160 Posts
chris7469 said:
Fiat Group wanted to IPO Ferrari and thought Maserati (losing money) would drag down it's share price. So Maserati was (on paper) moved/merged with the Alfa Management to make Ferrari look good. Then the Alfa management thought, "why don't we use the MNA platform to relaunch the Alfa brand in the US again?".

So, now we are in this mess, no planning and too much bureaucracy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Prediction:

The Kubang becomes a reality in 2011
In an attempt to compete with the X5, ML550, Q7 and Cayenne and capture the mass market of US SUV drivers.

This wouldn't surprise me at all.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do we do??

Maserati Discontinued the Gran Sport in 07???

So we either keep our great coupes or look elsewhere for something sporty and unique...

That stinks...

Our cars are the last Ferrari inspired Maseratis.... What a shame....

CM

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Master said:
The production of Gransport will be ceased in 2008 for 4.7l GramTourismo with DuoSelect.
So There's a an 07 GranSport? I though 06 was the last year and there were only QP's for 07.

And the 08 GT is equipped with DuoSelect?

I guess I've finally lost it :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
So There's a an 07 GranSport? I though 06 was the last year and there were only QP's for 07.

And the 08 GT is equipped with DuoSelect?

I guess I've finally lost it :)

There is NO 07 Gransport. The last GS's were made as 06 Model Years. I bought my 06 at the end of Februrary 07. Your selection is based on availability, the factory is not producing more.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The new Maserati!

First if you read the article he says that they were suposed to be on the level of BMW/MB/Audi yes but the M/AMG/Quattro cars not the normal production cars! So on that level they are true to performance second the M and AMG's of the world can kick sum supercar ass! So is it rong to put our cars on that level no! They want to use our cars as another choice for those thinking about getting one of the German Super division cars! I mean 110 sticker is cheaper than a CL63 sticker! So what's the problem with that those cars are made by hand so they say!

Second Maserati is under Fiat, all the companys Alfa Ferrari and most of Italy are under Fiat The man who runs FIAT RUNS ITALY!!!!!!

Third the reason for stand alone Maserati Dealers is plane and simple to open a Ferrari Dealer is like winning the Mega Millions it just dont happen! I know of one guy that wanted to open one in the NY area and Fiat told him no problem as long as you open 4 maserati dealerships! So that is another reason you see many new maserati dealers opening up! There is also the issue of sales and service most Ferrari dealers are small and need to open stand alone shops to service the needs of a growing costomer base!

Lastly Maserati is not looking to put anything besides auto boxes in cars at this point in time! I heard from my dealer that they had to beg and pleade to get the Duo in a QP for a car that one person wanted! So I think they are just trying to push out cars to keep up with the need for the auto box and trying to do two things at once is not what the Italians are about one box at a time is all they can do!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Last Gs Production Date??

06GS said:
There is NO 07 Gransport. The last GS's were made as 06 Model Years. I bought my 06 at the end of Februrary 07. Your selection is based on availability, the factory is not producing more.
06GS, you said u bought your GS in late Feb. 07...What was your production date on the inside plate on drivers door?...my 06 GS was Sept. '06 ...Just curious on what date they were last made...& who may have one of the last batch?...What dealer did you buy from in NY & did you get a reduced $ for leftover??.....Thanks ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts