1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
I personally would avoid a prior manufacturer's buyback car. When it rains it poors, and with the hit or miss performance of auth dealer repairs, I think this is asking for trouble. Find a car someone else has had good luck with and enjoy a car w/ a proven track record. Just my 2 cents, others may feel differently. Take care, and good luck in your search!

Jay

·
Registered
224 Posts
I personally would avoid a prior manufacturer's buyback car.
I agree. Notwithstanding the quip about CA/FL lemon laws, there's a reason that car got bought back, and I'll bet it ain't pretty. My personal feeling is that some cars really are just lemons, and things will just continue to go wrong. I'd never touch a buyback.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2004 coupe for sale with a new clutch. Send me an email if you are interested.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
648 Posts
I visit Houston at least a few times a year. I stopped in to Expo around New Year to look at 3 Coupes they had. All looked great on line and were described as in mint condition. I had no interest in test driving any of them as they were, on the exterior, the worst condition Coupes I had seen to date in my search.

I also saw that white take back and thought about it. Just picked up my '02 coupe. Had a good history but from day one I have had many unexpected problems that I now hope are resolved. oint being you just never know.

I think its worth looking into what the issue was. It's a gorgeous looking car -never thought of white until I saw this car. I would bet you could also get them to spend a grand on having and FM do a very very thorough inspection. Biggest negative - even if the car is perfect, you will always have trouble selling it.

If I hadn't been knee deep in one at the moment, I would be looking at it at the right price.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
78 Posts
All buy-backs are not created equal

All buy-backs are not created equal. Keep in mind that some buyers are more legally savvy than others. i.e., They understand the Lemon Law and work it well. Point is, the car could have had very minor issues and a very conscientious owner who accepted nothing short of perfection. Again, a legally savvy owner can get a car bought back (during warranty period) for very little if he has the stamina. Also, note that in many instances, a car that has been bought back has had the problem corrected by the manufacturer replacing the complained about part (rather than repairing it after a third time) . . . it just becomes cost efficient at a certain point. so you could get a close to perfect car.
Now . . . the caveat. It depends! Best senerio . . . you find out what the reason for the buy back was. If not you MUST test drive the car and MUST demand a warranty even if for 30 days or 1000 miles --- and DRIVE THE CAR by then you will discover most problems, they will be documented and they will be generally repaired even if the continue past the warranty period.

Disclaimer for my tough love buddies out there . . . this is all friendly advice and may not be taken as legal advice.

Have fun shopping.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is there a way to find out the history of the buyback? I was looking at a manufacturer buyback car because of the tempting low price but without knowing the history, it's a showstopper. The dealers that buy these cars at auction or what not either don't know the history or won't disclose it. Can you call Maserati North America and get this info?

·
Registered
742 Posts
The rims are repainted....

Its nice to finally see another white coupe.

I thought it seemed like a great deal until I read about the buy back and I noticed the rims were painted a different color white.

If you can investigate the buy back problems and feel comfortable that the reduced price makes up for whatever has been fixed it may make sense for you.

A friend bought a buy back car and had issues from day one. Personally I would try to find something else.

Your best bet may be to buy a car from one of us members. We are all nuts with our cars as far as service and maintenance and we would not try to get over on anyone.

Good Luck. CM

·
Registered
224 Posts
even if the car is perfect, you will always have trouble selling it

For me, this might be the kicker. Yeah, maybe it was a minor issue. Maybe. As for the manufacturer fixing the problem after the buyback - doubt it. In California they have to be given a reasonable chance to fix the problem before the buyback - that means at least 4 attempts if it is a non-safety issue, or 2 for a safety issue (e.g. airbags) - or the car has to have spent over 30 days (!) in the shop - promise you that means that they replaced the part, as that is the first response of most dealerships doing warranty work (which is the most time/cost effective approach), unless the "part" that needed to be replaced was the entire engine or transmission. So they've already tried to fix it, and once they've had to buy back the car, rather than continue to invest money in it, they've sold it off at auction and cut their losses.

Good luck finding out what the problem was... in California they have to disclose what the problem was to a buyer... which is probably why the writeup on that car suggests it was a buyback from California (or Florida) and was brought to Texas. Don't know if Texas has the same disclosure laws. (Interesting test for the dealer, though - if they bought the car in California, they got the disclosure... so if they are telling you they have no idea why it was bought back...). There's a reason FM dealers aren't reselling buyback cars, and a reason they're all sold at auction, and it isn't because these cars were bought back due to a malfunctioning cigarette lighter.

But bottom line - that car will always be branded a buyback car (most states require the title to be marked). If you think you'll ever want to sell it, that's going to be a huge, huge problem, because there are lots of people like me who wouldn't touch a buyback no matter how good the price was.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...thanks for the info guys. very good points were made regarding the buy backs...

...the coupes are VERY tough to find in white...ideally i'm looking for a white with tan interior. and impossible to find combo...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am going to visit Straight Line tomorrow and will let you know what I see. I am very concerned about buybacks too and will need to understand the "why" and the "warranty".

·
Registered
371 Posts
I visited Straightline yesterday. I must say that they have an impressive collection but their Maseratis looked a little ragged. It was obvious to me that the prior owners did not take care of them. I drove an '06 Gransport Spyder and thought it was just a touch rough on shifts. The paint was just awful for a two year old car with less than 10k miles. Not my type of car. I also drove an '06 Silver CC Vintage Coupe with 13k miles. Once again the paint was so so and it didn't appear to have been well cared for.

So then we headed over to Park Place and saw a black '06 Coupe GT and a silver '06 Gransport Spyder. What a difference. Beautiful cars and very well maintained. The Spyder is owned by their service manager and the CC in that car literally sang to me. Downshifts are just amazing, especially in a tunnel!! The GT was immaculate but a zero option car. MSRP of $84k.

Overall a very productive trip. I am now sold on the CC. I am leaning towards a Spyder and probably not a gransport, I just don't like the look of the side skirts. Most importantly, now I fully understand the difference between a good maserati and a bad one.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had an inspection done at Straightline!!

Before I bought mine from Foreign cars Italia; the report was on the 2002 Green manual 6 speed; some concerns, when I called the dealer he laughed at my offer and HUNG UP ON ME!!!!!!!! The car was showing rust; the gear shift came off in the inspectors hand, and he said the tranny was making an odd noise....to name a few, I walked! dogdoc

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the insight guys...

i certainly agree that a well cared for car vs. a car that's been neglected are worlds apart, eventhough they are similar yr cars w/similar mileage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Expo

I bought a Boxster S from Expo back in 2005 and drove it back home to Memphis.

Overall experience was positive, but I don't think they have a proper car detail department. I had mine professionally detailed a week or two later at Lexus which is the best in the area IMO. The detail manager (Mark Greenwood) mentioned that the car had paint work done upon close inspection. The work was very good and I would have never noticed, Mark even said it was a really good job. The only reason he noticed was a small paint line in the passenger door jam.

It was not listed on the Carfax so I won't blame Expo for lying to me. Just make sure you do a very thorough inspection.

I think you will be better off with a clean history rather than a quick deal. Take your time, good luck!

·
5,887 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts