Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting this today while driving; the E comes on intermittently with the ambient temp reading as well sometimes; manual says have dealer check heat/AC system, any ideas?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome to my world,DogDoc! My A/C was the reason for the "E" showing up in place of the outside temp indicator in my "05 coupe. The service manager here in Houston replaced the blower fan and the compressor when I first got the car (with only 1000 miles and 16 months in service). That was done to deal with a noisy compressor (I thought the fan motor was not the problem but they replaced it anyway under warranty) During the entire time after they "fixed" my A/C, it worked very erratically. The dash readouts showed it was cooling and blowing when it wasn't, The 'E' would show up sometimes, not necessarily when the A/C was out of the mood, and sometimes the car would make a beeping noise (the same one it makes when the CC trans is put in reverse) Several trips to the dealer resulted in a different excuse/fix each time. (loose wire one time,faulty outside temp sensor one time, blamed it on the after market stereo installer that THEY recommended one time) The dealer never got it right while I owned it! I got a call from the new owner this past week and he told me before he bought it, the car was at the dealer having 'major A/C work' done!! Anyway, that's my experience with the 'E'.:mad: :confused:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome to my world,DogDoc! My A/C was the reason for the "E" showing up in place of the outside temp indicator in my "05 coupe. The service manager here in Houston replaced the blower fan and the compressor when I first got the car (with only 1000 miles and 16 months in service). That was done to deal with a noisy compressor (I thought the fan motor was not the problem but they replaced it anyway under warranty) During the entire time after they "fixed" my A/C, it worked very erratically. The dash readouts showed it was cooling and blowing when it wasn't, The 'E' would show up sometimes, not necessarily when the A/C was out of the mood, and sometimes the car would make a beeping noise (the same one it makes when the CC trans is put in reverse) Several trips to the dealer resulted in a different excuse/fix each time. (loose wire one time,faulty outside temp sensor one time, blamed it on the after market stereo installer that THEY recommended one time) The dealer never got it right while I owned it! I got a call from the new owner this past week and he told me before he bought it, the car was at the dealer having 'major A/C work' done!! Anyway, that's my experience with the 'E'.:mad: :confused:
i hope they finally fix it. was that the reason you got rid of it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
No,I actually hurt my neck and it looked surgical at first,helping me to make the decision to sell my Maser and my 911S (it hurt just to sit in them). Good news...my neck healed up and I have learned more about Maserati in the past six months than I ever knew while I owned the 05 coupe,thanks to this forum. I'm watching for the right GS to come along...maybe an LE or MC victory. I can wait....:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the bad news Doc jim

Since I am out of warranty I will not be running to have that looked at; tonight the E nver showed up when I went for a ride to dinner, will keep posted and thanks! Dogdoc

·
Registered
660 Posts
Since I am out of warranty I will not be running to have that looked at; tonight the E nver showed up when I went for a ride to dinner, will keep posted and thanks! Dogdoc
E means the climate control actuator is not working properly, OR that the temp sensor is gone. Replacing the actuator implies taking the dash out (about 5 hour job in total) for what is a cheap spare, which is infuriating.

·
Registered
824 Posts
E means the climate control actuator is not working properly, OR that the temp sensor is gone. Replacing the actuator implies taking the dash out (about 5 hour job in total) for what is a cheap spare, which is infuriating.
Yes, this was the problem with my car, luckily it went in warranty. I also had my HVAC controller replaced too (which is an easier job).

·
Registered
203 Posts
E

I got this code almost permanently - changed the outside temp sensor (located in driver's mirror) door card off job and wing mirror internals out and it now comes on occasionally.

New a/c control is £330 in the uk (ish) but I reckon taking it out and cleaning the contacts would poss fix it.

How easy is the heater control panel to remove ? Can't believe it's a full dash out job ?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I got this code almost permanently - changed the outside temp sensor (located in driver's mirror) door card off job and wing mirror internals out and it now comes on occasionally.

New a/c control is £330 in the uk (ish) but I reckon taking it out and cleaning the contacts would poss fix it.

How easy is the heater control panel to remove ? Can't believe it's a full dash out job ?
As easy as a 5 hr (maybe 4 hr) labour can suggest... the actuator (pretty much plug-and-play) is deeply buried inside the front dash, not accessible from outside (you can touch it if stretching your hand underneath the gap left where the steering wheel is, that's as much as you can go).

So, let me see... parts at about 40 quid + VAT, labour at (stealership rates) 130 quid + VAT. You get the picture.

·
Registered
203 Posts
aha !

As easy as a 5 hr (maybe 4 hr) labour can suggest... the actuator (pretty much plug-and-play) is deeply buried inside the front dash, not accessible from outside (you can touch it if stretching your hand underneath the gap left where the steering wheel is, that's as much as you can go).

So, let me see... parts at about 40 quid + VAT, labour at (stealership rates) 130 quid + VAT. You get the picture.
I'm talking about the actual control knobs on the centre console/transmission tunnel, i.e the one that does the fan, temp control etc. Repaired the actuator on my Ghibli, which was a head under dash job. In my experience most things mechanical can be repaired if they've broken, it's the stuff with chips in that confuses me. Similarly a mechanical/electrical item such as heater control switches should be easy.

I've previously taken apart and totally rebuilt ignition barrels that were beyond repair, all you need is patience, skill and an inbuilt aversion to paying someone £150+vat who really does give a toss whether he fixes it or not. :rolleyes:

Just want a quick heads up on removing the switchgear before I spend time finding hidden fixings etc.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm talking about the actual control knobs on the centre console/transmission tunnel, i.e the one that does the fan, temp control etc. Repaired the actuator on my Ghibli, which was a head under dash job. In my experience most things mechanical can be repaired if they've broken, it's the stuff with chips in that confuses me. Similarly a mechanical/electrical item such as heater control switches should be easy.

I've previously taken apart and totally rebuilt ignition barrels that were beyond repair, all you need is patience, skill and an inbuilt aversion to paying someone £150+vat who really does give a toss whether he fixes it or not. :rolleyes:

Just want a quick heads up on removing the switchgear before I spend time finding hidden fixings etc.
Gotcha. So you want to do this...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/edsalazar/Maser/Consoleout.jpg

Not that difficult (two DIN plugs is what you need). And you will go nowhere as the actuator can only be accessed if you remove the top dash drawer. That's not difficult either, but dunno what else you need to take away to access the damn thing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's..

... the jobby !

Is it just the two bolts that hold on the reverse lever panel, remove that, then showing up some hidden fixings for the top panel covering the heater controls ?

When you talk about the actuator are you talking about the heater cock actuator rather than the heating controls ?

·
Registered
660 Posts
... the jobby !

Is it just the two bolts that hold on the reverse lever panel, remove that, then showing up some hidden fixings for the top panel covering the heater controls ?

When you talk about the actuator are you talking about the heater cock actuator rather than the heating controls ?
On the sides of the LCD display you should see 2 slots. Use a DIN plug on each side, pull towards you and off it goes. There you will see 2 fixing screws. You also need to take off the panel where the reverser is to take away the control unit (1 block) where the knobs are. If so, you will have a DIN slot (a small hole) at the lower center of that panel (some models came "bolted-in" with two bolts on the sides).

See

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=3&Mo=389&A=2&B=20987&S=

The PIC I posted came from my mechanic... :D

Actuator -> heater cock actuator that is, NOT the panel controls. When the E fires, that signals the actuator got jammed. So you want heat... none, as the controls are unresponsive. Ditto for A/C.

Trying to find on the Eurospares site where the heck it is...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cheers

On the sides of the LCD display you should see 2 slots. Use a DIN plug on each side, pull towards you and off it goes. Dunno if you also need to take off the panel where the reverser is to take away the control unit (1 block) where the knobs are). If so, you will have a DIN slot (a small hole) at the lower center of that panel (some models came "bolted-in" with two bolts on the sides).

That PIC came from my mechanic... :D

Actuator -> heater cock actuator that is, NOT the panel controls. When the E fires, that signals the actuator got jammed. So you want heat... none, as the controls are unresponsive. Ditto for A/C.
Very helpful - I can actually change the heat within the cabin when the E code is on, it's just that the climate control won't work (auto temp sensing and adjusting) everything else works fine, which makes me want to give all the control faces a good clean off before I get too involved under dash.

Will let you know how I get on - thinks it's a fairly common issue.

CJ

·
Registered
660 Posts
Very helpful - I can actually change the heat within the cabin when the E code is on, it's just that the climate control won't work (auto temp sensing and adjusting) everything else works fine, which makes me want to give all the control faces a good clean off before I get too involved under dash.

Will let you know how I get on - thinks it's a fairly common issue.

CJ
See my edited post above for the Eurospares reference, which should give you additional guidance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What happens if I don't fix the "e"?

What I have noticed is that the E comes on for a bit; then it starts showing the temperature again; so..is this more likely to be a bad sensor than the other more complicated fixes....and if I DO NOT fix it will it hurt anything? I ran thru the A/C and heat, both MAX and economy,all fan speeds; they work fine....aint happy this soon:mad:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is the "E" light a dealer only fix?

Do you folks think this can be fixed by an independent shop?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts