Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a oil accumulator so I can pre-lube the engine with oil pressure before start. This should help with startup wear and specifically variator wear. They are pretty straight forward to install but has anyone done it, and if so, where is a good high pressure oil port to tap into?
Thanks

3,095 Posts
The best place would be the oil sending unit..This would require removal of the intake manifold.. The problem with the original unit was not returning to the base position when the engine is shut off... So you can install a preluber etc and still have noise...It is kinda like pissing in the wind honestly..

The problem with the internet is it makes it appear like every car has this problem...They don't as I work on cars all the time with the original components and they make no noise at all...It is not as common as it appears on this forum, but it is a issue on these engines...Jason

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best place would be the oil sending unit..This would require removal of the intake manifold.. The problem with the original unit was not returning to the base position when the engine is shut off... So you can install a preluber etc and still have noise...It is kinda like pissing in the wind honestly..

The problem with the internet is it makes it appear like every car has this problem...They don't as I work on cars all the time with the original components and they make no noise at all...It is not as common as it appears on this forum, but it is a issue on these engines...Jason
Thanks Jason, you know better than me, but I thought the biggest problem with the variators was the lack of oil on startup. Which was why oil check valves are retrofitted into the cam caps to fix it. I figured a oil accumulator would be an equivalent fix without having to send the caps to California. Thoughts?

3,095 Posts
That is part of the repair..They did install the check valves, but they also changed the entire design of the variator unit.. I can only assume they were both an issue as I have no testing, but just logic in this case...I would be more inclined to get the check valves installed then add aftermarket stuff....Jason

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is part of the repair..They did install the check valves, but they also changed the entire design of the variator unit.. I can only assume they were both an issue as I have no testing, but just logic in this case...I would be more inclined to get the check valves installed then add aftermarket stuff....Jason
Thanks Jason, I've been searching the net for the place in California that does the machine work on the cam caps. Do you know who does it? Also, I'm in the ATL area like you so maybe you know of someone closer that can do the machine work?
Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
TEM has been doing maserati caps for years, they're the direction dealership shops are pointed to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts