Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem with my 2004 ( Car seems to drives fine) but the gearbox failure light comes on sometimes after given in gas, after its in gear. And sometimes it doesn't come on for a few miles of driving. In either case it shifts and runs fine. I can't figure it out. Afraid to drive it since I don't want to get stuck and the Dealer can't take it in till Mid June. Is there anything I should do or check? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Take it to the dealer unannounced... go up to one of the techs and say "hey dude, can I get your opinion for a second?"

They are always more than happy to help, and will tell you what the problem most likely is (and whether it is safe to drive, tetc.)

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Many possible scenarios there... a OBDII Code reader would be helpful to see if you're throwing a code.

Strangely enough the Maserati reports transmission / engine failures sometimes for completely different reasons than you may think. As mentioned by many on the board, italian electronics are buggy and kind of hilarious sometimes.

Yesterday, I hooked up an OBDII to a Maserati and the clock started spinning wildly, lights were flashing etc... disconnected it and she was back to normal. I tried another OBDII reader and no problems... I then tried the first OBDII reader on another car, no problems.

The Maserati just didn't like something about that reader, I've used it on many Maseratis without a problem. I think it was trying to read a protocol that the car doesn't support. Maybe the car has a grounding problem, very strange.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Strangely enough the Maserati reports transmission / engine failures sometimes for completely different reasons than you may think. As mentioned by many on the board, italian electronics are buggy and kind of hilarious sometimes.
And sometimes they will have errors (like a flashing gear number) and NOT throw a code. I've had a CC issue like that. Pretty annoying.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I need the title so I could sell it

Boy did I make a mistake. I sold my Corvette Z06, Passed on a 2003 twin turbo Porsche to buy a car that breaks more offen then not. In fact after reading about problems with either the F1 pump, clutch etc I'm sure to get stuck somewhere. ( No matter what the dealer repairs something else will break.Not what I'm looking for in a car. Hell if I got to take a 8000 dollars loss after having this car for one month I'll live with it. Now I know why Porsches are all of my town ( Greenwich CT ) It's because they work! Now if the dealer can fix my car and I can get a few miles on it without a problem I'll keep it for years. The design is so nice and the sound of that engine really keeps me from putting on the radio. I'll see what the dealer says next week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.