Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Not sure what your are attempting to do. Is the sale conditional upon an inspection?

You also did not say where the car is located. If it is in Vegas, I suggest that you get Jeff at Formula Dynamics to check it out. I would also suggest that (unless you are looking for a garge queen or purely a low speed cruiser), while you are in Vegas that he perform the following "must have" modifications:

- Springs - Without them the car handles like a boat
- DBW Chip - This makes a huge difference in throttle responsiveness
- SS Brake lines and pads - If you drive the car hard, these will really cut down on your underwear changes

If not in Vegas, re-post with where it is and I am sure someone will give you some advice.

Good Luck

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not sure what your are attempting to do. Is the sale conditional upon an inspection?

You also did not say where the car is located. If it is in Vegas, I suggest that you get Jeff at Formula Dynamics to check it out. I would also suggest that (unless you are looking for a garge queen or purely a low speed cruiser), while you are in Vegas that he perform the following "must have" modifications:

- Springs - Without them the car handles like a boat
- DBW Chip - This makes a huge difference in throttle responsiveness
- SS Brake lines and pads - If you drive the car hard, these will really cut down on your underwear changes

If not in Vegas, re-post with where it is and I am sure someone will give you some advice.

Good Luck
hmm.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Whoa - I just didn't want to make any assumptions. I know where San Luis Obispo but you also mentioned Vegas. Niteroi is in Santa Barbara - just down the road.

The dealer is your best bet. In my experince, these guys generally nit pick every fault in order to generate business.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm about 1.5h south of SLO. Who's selling the car? I've seen a couple of cars with a guy who works with the Volvo dealer over there.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
He is a very nice guy indeed. When I went there a little over a year ago he had an 05 blue GS with Tubi and a brand new 06 orange GS (200 miles). I almost bought the orange one, but the combo orange exterior with cream interior was too much for me. But he was giving me a great deal, I would definitely buy a car from him, great guy to deal with!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
He is a very nice guy indeed. When I went there a little over a year ago he had an 05 blue GS with Tubi and a brand new 06 orange GS (200 miles). I almost bought the orange one, but the combo orange exterior with cream interior was too much for me. But he was giving me a great deal, I would definitely buy a car from him, great guy to deal with!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought my 2003 Coupe GT from Brent the owner of The Volvo store up there in 2005. It had 14,000 miles on it and was still under warranty for another eight months. It was his personal car. I got a pretty good deal for the time; he came down on the price by $9000.00.
I also bought my 2005 Lotus Elise new from him earlier in the year. He was the only dealer on the in California that was not marking the cars up over sticker.
The closest dealer would probably be the Auto Gallery in Canoga Park (about 2 ½ hours away).
Ron:)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Ron is right, the closest dealer is Auto Gallery in Calabasas, about 2.5h south.

I don't remember who I talked to, if I had to guess it would be Ian, a guy in his early 30's.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought my 2003 Coupe GT from Brent the owner of The Volvo store up there in 2005.
I just bought my Spyder from them and was very pleased with the experience. I was told that the owner's son is the one who hunts down these lease return exotics. They send their Maseratis to the dealership in Costa Mesa for inspections and service. No one at the SLO dealership knew a whole lot about these cars. They are a Volvo/Lotus retailer, with an additional lot full of the fun pre-owned cars (mostly Porsches) across the street.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I just bought my Spyder from them and was very pleased with the experience. I was told that the owner's son is the one who hunts down these lease return exotics. They send their Maseratis to the dealership in Costa Mesa for inspections and service. No one at the SLO dealership knew a whole lot about these cars. They are a Volvo/Lotus retailer, with an additional lot full of the fun pre-owned cars (mostly Porsches) across the street.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Who did you work with... Ian or Andrew maybe?
What year is your car. pics?
Congrats on you purchase.
It's a 2004, dark green. I'll post some pictures soon; right now I'm busy taking pictures of my Toyota Spyder so I can sell it.

I worked with Jeff, who is the internet sales guy. Very nice and professional, but, like I said, neither he nor anyone else there that day knew a whole lot about Maseratis. I believe Ian is the owner's son. The owner was also a great guy (put the Spyder up on a lift for me to see the underside), but he's a Porsche person.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It's a 2004, dark green. I'll post some pictures soon; right now I'm busy taking pictures of my Toyota Spyder so I can sell it.

I worked with Jeff, who is the internet sales guy. Very nice and professional, but, like I said, neither he nor anyone else there that day knew a whole lot about Maseratis. I believe Ian is the owner's son. The owner was also a great guy (put the Spyder up on a lift for me to see the underside), but he's a Porsche person.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I'm afraid I must retract much of the nice stuff I said about Smith Volvo. Turns out they were not forthcoming about the clutch wear, they sold me the car with the oil overfilled and dirty (probably a result of topping off after checking it with the engine off), and they charged me for a year's DMV registration but only paid for a few months to the DMV. Luckily, the oil situation was rectified before any noticeable damage. The other things are to be dealt with in due course.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts