Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came out to an ugly dent on my car after having it parked overnight in the downtown area where my GF lives ... I have found a great paintless dent repair guy who said he can get it 100% for $700 but it’ll require him having the door off to do it. I went to two local autobody shops and neither one are comfortable touching the car to remove and then reinstall the door.

... I can’t find much on it ... but essentially I unplug the electronic bits attached to it inside the door trim and just unscrew it, no? Am I stupid for thinking of removing it myself?

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
door removal is easy its door reinstallation that's a nightmare. It has 3 axis you have to align it on. Takes a couple people and a lot of patience.

A body shop really wouldn't work on it??

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
door removal is easy its door reinstallation that's a nightmare. It has 3 axis you have to align it on. Takes a couple people and a lot of patience.

A body shop really wouldn't work on it??
After I posted this I looked it over and it looks super easy ...just as you said ... reinstallation aligning it might suck but my gf said she’d help, and if I need a third person I can enlist more help.

And yup ... “we can’t find it in our database so can’t quote you how many hours it’ll take ... and we don’t know if removing it will set off issues in your ECU and have to be towed to a dealer”

... when I looked over the door after I laughed ... glad they said no honestly if they’re going to feed me that BS for 6 nuts/bolts and unscrewing the electrical tab.

·
Registered
502 Posts
After I posted this I looked it over and it looks super easy ...just as you said ... reinstallation aligning it might suck but my gf said she’d help, and if I need a third person I can enlist more help.

And yup ... “we can’t find it in our database so can’t quote you how many hours it’ll take ... and we don’t know if removing it will set off issues in your ECU and have to be towed to a dealer”

... when I looked over the door after I laughed ... glad they said no honestly if they’re going to feed me that BS for 6 nuts/bolts and unscrewing the electrical tab.
eh they just didn't want to do it. /repainting Honda bumpers all day is easier money. I would try a mom and pop shop, smaller the better.

when you do this, make sure to mark the existing striker and hinge locations BEFORE your pull the door off. Anywhere the car touches the door, mark it well with a sharpie or similar, so you can realign your hardware.

Doors are heavy and awkward, so have a big thick blanket or foam on the ground under your work area when you take it on and off

When you put it back on, align it as best you can with your old marks. Close the door and check for fitment. Measure how off it is, then adjust your attachment points and do it again. NEVER remove it twice to adjust. For example, if you close it and it sticks too far out by 5mm, then open the door, and move your door striker in 5mm, mark it, and test again. Repeat with each axis. You have your striker that controls closing depth, and your upper and lower hinges control panel gaps at the fender and door. Might watch some YouTube videos as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eh they just didn't want to do it. /repainting Honda bumpers all day is easier money. I would try a mom and pop shop, smaller the better.

when you do this, make sure to mark the existing striker and hinge locations BEFORE your pull the door off. Anywhere the car touches the door, mark it well with a sharpie or similar, so you can realign your hardware.

Doors are heavy and awkward, so have a big thick blanket or foam on the ground under your work area when you take it on and off

When you put it back on, align it as best you can with your old marks. Close the door and check for fitment. Measure how off it is, then adjust your attachment points and do it again. NEVER remove it twice to adjust. For example, if you close it and it sticks too far out by 5mm, then open the door, and move your door striker in 5mm, mark it, and test again. Repeat with each axis. You have your striker that controls closing depth, and your upper and lower hinges control panel gaps at the fender and door. Might watch some YouTube videos as well.
This is great help, thank you!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here's a vid on how to do it on a Ferrari; I'd think the process would be the same. Two man job, looks pretty straight forward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts