Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around town, I like the music of my car's exhaust. On long road trips, I do enjoy some good driving tunes. I noticed that the bass in the car was lacking, so I installed a nice sub, 800w amp, in a pro-built box. With the trunk open, it ROCKS and sounds amazing. Close the trunk, and all the sound goes away. Inside the car, I can barely hear any difference in the bass.

So, my question is, has anyone else added a sub with any decent results? I knew with the gas tank behind the seat and all the carpeting in the trunk, it would muffle the bass a bit, but WOW - this is crazy. Anyone vent the sub into the cabin somehow?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

TIA.

HJQP

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have noticed this as well. My 335i has a much better sound system than my QP. I have not done much looking if its feasible or not, but I thought about doing what BMW does and installing some small 8" subwoofers under the front seats. Seems to work well there and that gets them in the car.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Have you changed any of the rest of your speakers? In general the lower you go the harder it is to block sound. You might be hearing 60+hz with the trunk open, but closed you can only hear <60hz. (thats not a specific number, just throwing something out). Many times stock speakers are setup to produce what sounds initially pleasing to our ears, but that isn't always "correct" and the sound will suffer once you do more critical evaluations. Once Bose becomes involved, you KNOW this is the case...

A good set of solid speakers and an amp driving them will probably make worlds of difference, then you can decide if you need a sub or not.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an audio analyzer mic and software for my laptop - ran that in the car with both the amp on and off. VERY minimal frequency response change below 100, and the seat of the pants (rumble test) also shows almost no difference. I wired the sub remote to the center console, so I can adjust it from there as well. With it at 0 or 11 (yea, this one goes to 11), there is almost no distinguishable difference.

I'm thinking about porting it through the rear deck where the stock sub enclosure is right now. Has anyone ever removed one of those?

Thanks

HJQP

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you changed any of the rest of your speakers? In general the lower you go the harder it is to block sound. You might be hearing 60+hz with the trunk open, but closed you can only hear <60hz. (thats not a specific number, just throwing something out). Many times stock speakers are setup to produce what sounds initially pleasing to our ears, but that isn't always "correct" and the sound will suffer once you do more critical evaluations. Once Bose becomes involved, you KNOW this is the case...

A good set of solid speakers and an amp driving them will probably make worlds of difference, then you can decide if you need a sub or not.
Nope - rest of the speakers are stock. I am okay with how the sound (not going for total concert hall sound), just wanted more depth, and a little feel in the kick drum. Was hoping adding a sub would give me that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts