Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2018 GTS
12 Posts
Hey All I found this company Champion that offers a "gold" standard service contract or if you will ie An extended warranty. I was quoted 1900.00 for a four year covearge period.
Below are the things covered, no deductible, is Maserati certified, ie you as the covered can take your car to a Maserati service center. (BTW I called a local Maserati Dealer and asked the service dept. if they have heard of the company? The gal said that they work with all extended warranty companies. They would charge a 299.00 estimate that you the owner of the car would need to pay. After that they write up an estimate and then you submit for payment to the dealer.

Now I have been on the fence about this since I purchased the car. I talked to a bddy of mine that sold cars for about fifteen years and asked him, he said in most cases it's not worth it but for 1900.00 if they cover all the things they say the cover then it's def. worth it. see below for covered parts. Sorry for the long post but there were a few folks asking so I thought i'd do this post again. Let me know your thoughts for those considering.

1. Gasoline/Diesel Engine: Cylinder block, cylinder head(s) if damage by internally lubricated parts. The following internally lubricated parts including: pistons, piston rings and pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and rod bearing, camshaft and bearings, pushrods, rocker arms, rocker arm shafts, rocker arm pivots, cylinder head intake & exhaust valves, valve keepers, valve retainers, hydraulic and sold valve lifters, cam followers, oil pump, timing chain, and crankshaft gear, Harmonic balancer, metal valve covers, metal timing cover, and metal oil pan (if damaged caused by failure of internally lubricated covered part), seals and gaskets during rebuilding, cylinder head gaskets, engine vacuum pump, and engine mounts.
2. Transmission: Transmission (Rear Wheel Drive) or Transaxle (Front Wheel Drive): Transmission case, and the transmission pan (if damaged by the failure of covered internally lubricated parts). The following internally lubricated parts included within a rebuilders banner kit components (automatic transmission clutch plates, automatic transmission clutch steels, accumulator locking rings, servo locking rings), automatic transmission torque converter, vacuum modulator, seals and gaskets during rebuilding, front pump shaft seal, rear transmission seal, and transmission mounts.
3. Engine Electrical: Alternator, voltage regulator, starter motor, starter solenoid, ignition distributor; Body Electrical; Front windshield wiper motor, rear window wiper motor
4. Engine Cooling: Primary/main radiator, primary/main radiator cooling fan motor, AC condenser cooling fan motor, cooling fan clutch, primary/main water pump.
5. Drive Axle: Front CV axle shaft joints, front axle shaft universal joints, front propeller/drive shaft universal joints, rear propeller/drive shaft universal joints, rear propeller/drive shaft support and bearing.
6. Hydraulic Brakes: Master cylinder, power brake booster, front disc brake calipers, rear disc brake calipers, and wheel cylinders.
7. Super/Turbo Charger: The following internally lubricated parts, Turbine shaft and wheel, compressor wheel; Turbo housing is covered (if damaged by the failure of a covered internally lubricated part); Super/Turbo charger mount gaskets during replacement.
8. 4x4/AWD: These components in the Transfer Case including: Drive chain, drive chain gears, planetary gears, oil pump output shaft, main shaft washers, transfer case actuator; 4 Wheel Drive actuator, seals and gaskets during rebuilding, transfer case input shaft seal, transfer case output shaft seal.
9. Front Hydraulic Power Steering System: Power steering gearbox, power steering gearbox pitman shaft seals, rack and pinion unit, rack and pinion column shaft seals, power steering pump, power steering pump shaft seal, Front Steering Linkage Components: pitman arm, idler arm, inner tie rod ends, and outer tie rod ends.
10. Fuel system: In tank fuel pump, fuel injector(s), and fuel pressure regulator.
11. Differential Assembly: (Front and Rear) Differential Housing (if damaged caused by failure of internally lubricated covered parts), CV axle shaft joints, ring and pinion gears, ring and pinion bearings, spider and carrier gears, spider and carrier bearings, axle bearings, pinion seal, and axle shaft seal.
12. Heater and Air Conditioning: Evaporator core, condenser, compressor, compressor clutch, field coil, accumulator, A/C high/low pressure compressor cutoff switches, heater core and front/rear HVAC blower motor.
13. Front Suspension: Upper and lower control arms, control arm bushings, lower torsion/tension arms, stabilizer end links, Upper and lower ball joints, unitized (1/piece) front wheel & hub bearing assembly. 14. Rare Suspension: Upper and lower control arms, control arm bushings, stabilizer end links, Upper and lower ball joints, unitized (1/piece) rear wheel hub & bearing assembly.
15. ABS Brakes: ABS wheel speed sensors, ABS hydraulic pump/motor assembly, ABS pressure modulator, ABS accumulator, ABS master cylinder, ABS control processor.
16. Hi-Tech: Fuel management controls; mass air flow sensor, map sensor, air charge temperature sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor, fuel pressure sensor; Ignition management controls; Camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, ignition coils; Vehicle Management, power window motor(s), power door lock actuator(s), front seat driver and passenger forward/backward seat motor(s), front seat driver and passenger tilt seat based motor(s), front seat driver and passenger tilt seat back motor(s), HVAC automatic temperature control switch, key-less entry module excluding remote, factory install GPS Navigation module, speed control module, suspension level control compressor, sunroof motor, convertible top motor, factory installed rear backup camera only.

· Premium Member
465 Posts
Still leery. Would rather put the $2300 (1900+299) in a bank account and then...get a new credit card dedicated to big-ticket item failures.

It's important to remember that this, like any other insurance-type product, is a matter of playing the odds. The odds from the provider's side is that they are going to take in, collectively, more than they are going to have to pay out...over and above their cost to actually administer the program and maintain profitability for their owner(s). And the purchaser is betting that, during the four-year window, they are going to have a claim in excess of their premium (and the opportunity cost of not applying said premium elsewhere) and other other fees you have to bear that the warranty provider agrees is a valid claim against the insurance purchased.

Too many if/then statements for me.

· Registered
2018 GTS
12 Posts
Still leery. Would rather put the $2300 (1900+299) in a bank account and then...get a new credit card dedicated to big-ticket item failures.

It's important to remember that this, like any other insurance-type product, is a matter of playing the odds. The odds from the provider's side is that they are going to take in, collectively, more than they are going to have to pay out...over and above their cost to actually administer the program and maintain profitability for their owner(s). And the purchaser is betting that, during the four-year window, they are going to have a claim in excess of their premium (and the opportunity cost of not applying said premium elsewhere) and other other fees you have to bear that the warranty provider agrees is a valid claim against the insurance purchased.

Too many if/then statements for me.
Yes I understand it's a gamble too!! LOL,LOL I wonder what the tally would be for those that have suffered a major repair bail and wished they had a policy vs. those that didn't. I am HOPING I don't have any major issues. I am coming from a 2007 Gallardo, but I must say most of what I had to pay out on that car were items due to me rebuilding it. I drove it for about three years before selling and getting into the Granturismo... Have you had any major issues with your car? One reason I went with the 2018 is that they say most of the earlier issues had been worked out.

· Premium Member
465 Posts
Yes I understand it's a gamble too!! LOL,LOL I wonder what the tally would be for those that have suffered a major repair bail and wished they had a policy vs. those that didn't. I am HOPING I don't have any major issues. I am coming from a 2007 Gallardo, but I must say most of what I had to pay out on that car were items due to me rebuilding it. I drove it for about three years before selling and getting into the Granturismo... Have you had any major issues with your car? One reason I went with the 2018 is that they say most of the earlier issues had been worked out.
If you are pretty handy with a wrench...and rebuilding a Gallardo would suggest you are...you are probably gonna be fine. Maintenance is maintenance. Variators should be a non-issue. Batteries are always a likely culprit for issues. Currently have two 4200s...and other than OE part scarcity/pricing, I just don't see anything terrifying about ownership...and this forum is an absolute font of knowledge/expertise.

· Premium Member
465 Posts
Also, went to BBB...https://www.bbb.org/us/co/colorado-springs/profile/auto-warranty-plans/champion-car-warranty-0785-1000020930/customer-reviews

I don't suggest that they are the be-all/end-all for info, but due diligence is a must if this is a path you are considering.

If it's the same biz, doesn't look like it's got a long history...

7,950 Posts
All those aftermarket warranties suck balls...I deal with them weekly...It's a hustle .They don't cover stuff, or pay a portion of stuff.They generally try to weasel out of a lot of repairs via BS...If I had to get one then I guess it would be car shield and just a powertrain on one of these cars..I would also expect to pay some for each repair as they are not taking the entire repair on the chin...Jason

Reactions: DLax69
1 - 11 of 11 Posts