Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have advice on which to go with on a QP? I deal with ice and moderate snow in KC, but not huge accumulations of snow.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Here in Colorado the Blizzak

is the more favorite but one thing you should know.. Maserati's don't do well in the snow at all, and clutch life will be sacrificed if you use the icy road mode, etc...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the icy roads mode do anything in manual mode for a Duoselect?

The Mas is now my official Winter car, so I need to make it work! Do I need to put sandbags in the trunk of the car for more traction?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
In order to keep the rear wheels from spinning...

the ECU and TCU will feather the clutch because of the traction control which means long engagement times which means clutch wear... You would be better off not putting it in ice mode, getting the drive by wire from Jeff @ formula dynamics and yes, putting some sand bags in the trunk, one over each wheel, or on each side of the trunk..... I would also get the Blizzaks and then plan on driving it nice and slow on icy days...

We had a couple of guys here from Chicago who ran their QP's in the snow last year and had these problems.. They can comment more on what happened..

I myself drive my Toyota 4 Runner in the winter, that's what it is made for, and I drive my Maserati when the roads are clear.. BTW, Blizzaks on my Toyota during the winter months.... Can't be the grip on ice...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Anyone have advice on which to go with on a QP? I deal with ice and moderate snow in KC, but not huge accumulations of snow.
The last time I checked, only the Sottozero came in a 285 size. I have the Sottozeros and the car handled well during an ice storm that we had last year. It also drove well when there was around 2 inches on the ground.

If I know it's going to be inclement, I take the Range Rover; however, if you've been caught in an unexpected ice or snow storm with a rear wheel vehicle, you'd pay anything not to have that slip sliding I'm going to die feeling.

·
Registered
196 Posts
FWIW I had michelin alpine sports on my xjr during the last winter. Great tires, and plough through all the snow that we got during the last winter in the Pocono mountains in PA. Not the most snowy area in the world but we get our share. Never even a side step. Front wheel cars are slipping and sliding, but my xjr kept a straight line through it all, inlcuding ice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Similar Winter Conditions here is DC

I put on Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's in November last year. With these tires on, I felt totally in control in sleet, slush, and light snow (we didn't have any heavy snowfalls here last winter, so I don't how they'd do in the deep stuff). I can tell you that I drove to work in my CC everyday except one where we had an ice storm. I was going to drive in, but my wife suggested since school was closed I ought to use my daughter's Camry. She said she wasn't worried about me losing control, she was worried that somebody would run into me. So I agreed - and almost put the Camry into the back of an SUV (my bride of 27 years is both beautiful AND intelligent).

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have extra cars to drive, but they are all too nice. 1973 Alfa Spider, 1995 Alfa 164Q. Both perfect condition. My wife drives the SUV, so I need to take the QP out in the snow when it hits...

I am thinking of putting on 19" snow tires in Blizzak. 265s on the rear wheels (they fit up to a 10.5 inch rim). Narrower than the 285 which is probably better anyway.

Tire Rack suggests Blizzak as a superor tire to the Pirellis for snow/ice. Especially ice.

How does the drive by wire set-up from FD help in the snow? Why does it eliminate the need to use the ICE setting?

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts