Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having thrown back to the drawing board with my suspension/handling with my 2002 Sypder, I was wondering if it is due to my 19inch rims. Was that the cause of my poor handling/rough ride?

Anyone with 19inch rims on their Quattorportes or Grandsports, experience harsh handling when going over bumps?

For example, on the freeway yesterday, I hit a small pothole which sounded/felt like I bent my entire front end....it made my dog who was in the car, jump into the floor well for cover....

I was thinking about throwing back my stock 18s next weekend to see how things change..

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
going back to the source of the problem, if you are on your stock suspension setting on 19" and they feel fine, and now you changed one parameter (dropped suspension) and all of a sudden your ride feels harsh, why blame the wheels and tires?

the nature of the problem is you are going over a bump, and you have less room for the suspension to deal with it. so it gets back at you and your spine. you are riding on a different part of the spring / shocks / Skyhook setting.

i doubt your stock 18" will feel dramatically different. are they on the same tires?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M! said:
going back to the source of the problem, if you are on your stock suspension setting on 19" and they feel fine, and now you changed one parameter (dropped suspension) and all of a sudden your ride feels harsh, why blame the wheels and tires?

the nature of the problem is you are going over a bump, and you have less room for the suspension to deal with it. so it gets back at you and your spine. you are riding on a different part of the spring / shocks / Skyhook setting.

i doubt your stock 18" will feel dramatically different. are they on the same tires?
M

I drove on the stock 18s, (which do come with what is considered low profile tires), for a very short time, i think less than a week, therefore my point of reference is limited. The only cosmetic issue I had with the 2002s were the stock rims, so I purchased aftermarket 19s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Different wheel sizes make a massive difference

Actually the difference between 18"'s and 19"'s can be massive but depending on the car, suspension and geometry set up.

I am a rally driver so I have done years of testing and rallying on different wheel sizes (based on venue and conditions) and there is a massive difference to the nature, handling and balance of the car.

From a road car point of view, one case in hand comes to mind. My wife has a V8 Porsche Cayenne S. It has 19" wheels on it and we find the ride really harsh and not comfortable if you are sitting in the back. We has 19"'s on the car from the day we bought it so had no benchmark. However when the car has been back for warranty work, we have had a couple of stock V8's with the standard 18" wheels and the ride is much much more compliant and the handling is pretty amazing and much better than the 19"'s.

If the rolling raduis has not been kept the same, then the results can be even more extreme.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
3 Left over crest!
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing