Maserati Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Alfa 164 ls, 07 Quattroporte exec. 07 Santa Fe.
399 Posts
Your analysis is sober, and your opinion well-informed. Unfortunately, the "value" of these cars has been affected by people who are not so well-informed. According to the comment section of every BaT Quattroporte auction, the Duoselect is a piece of trash that no one should ever buy. The clutch wears out after 1,000 miles and costs $15,000 to replace, the story goes.
The clutch wears out after 1,000 miles and costs $15,000 to replace, the story goes.
I think that is part of the resale problem. If these were, say, a $3000 repair (which is perfectly reasonable considering there is no "magic" material in there, I expect the Duo-select reputation would be acceptable. But when a repair can cost as much as the entire car...
The resale values for these cars, ZF included, suffer because of the high cost of parts and repair bills, not necessarily due to reliability issues. IMO.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The five principal (in my mind) reasons which kill, say, a QP5's resale are: variators, subframe rot, multiple square-inches of "sticky", duo-select mis-use and subsequent repair cost, and very high parts costs (especially brakes). I could go on, with NLA spares now becoming apparent, fragile interior leatherwork causing a poorly-loved, poorly cared-for car to look groddy very easily...

Do I have this right?

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The clutch wears out after 1,000 miles and costs $15,000 to replace, the story goes.
I think that is part of the resale problem. If these were, say, a $3000 repair (which is perfectly reasonable considering there is no "magic" material in there, I expect the Duo-select reputation would be acceptable. But when a repair can cost as much as the entire car...
The resale values for these cars, ZF included, suffer because of the high cost of parts and repair bills, not necessarily due to reliability issues. IMO.
I had my clutch replaced for $3,000, although that was 2017, and ultimately a few extra things had to be done as well, but at the time the clutch parts alone for an M6 cost more than that. People should know how expensive clutch repairs are in a performance car.

It's true that the interior "pleather" is extremely easy to tear up, mine has been a problem and it is impossible to replace anymore.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I personally think barked B-pillar trim needs to be redone, say, in a durable fabric, and the rear centre console in the same material. The corners of the latter are ridiculous by way of lack of durability.

Steering wheel "gape"... I think some kind of trim "cording" has to be added to the gape... Others?

What about the dash leather? I think the only thing is that the car (when not garaged) should be parked facing noonday sun, and a two piece (with overlap) custom-cut cardboard (or ??) intimate fitting sunshield should be used. When I say intimate, I mean zero sunlight let through. Tacky?? Mebe, but effective at preserving the dash? 100%.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't have any problem with my steering wheel so I don't know what you mean there. Also my dashboard is still perfect, it is surely the most durable dashboard I have ever had in a car.

6,895 Posts
You should be using a sun shield in every car IMO..The sun just kills a cars interior these days...I even use one in the winter to stop the sun from eating up my wood steering wheel on my RR...J

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You should be using a sun shield in every car IMO..The sun just kills a cars interior these days...I even use one in the winter to stop the sun from eating up my wood steering wheel on my RR...J
No doubt about that. One of the first things I did when I got my QP was buy a custom-fit sunshade from CoverKing. Those one-size-fits kind at the auto parts store just don't work as well.

6,895 Posts
I'm a weathertech guy...They fit perfect, want to roll up naturally, and you can flip them around black in the winter to warm the vehicle..J

Reactions: Shenofjo

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You're talking about where the horn leaves a space at the top of the steering console? I assumed it was just like that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You're talking about where the horn leaves a space at the top of the steering console? I assumed it was just like that.
Yes, that's what I'm talking about, and no it's not supposed to be like that... The steering top cover rises up, presumably dependent on how hot, how many heat cycles... and you get a permanent "mouth" where you can see wiring, etc... Some are really bad.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I think it's hard to say. It looks like that, a bit, but also the top cover itself appears to lift...???
Yeah I checked mine, the top cover is slightly warped upward. That's the main thing, I think, the horn cover is a solid plastic (covered in "leather") that can't really warp at all.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts