Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time was right, and the car was beautiful. Just bought an '02 coupe from MoM (great experience all-around). It's a 6-speed with nav, auditorium, skyhook...all the service work done, and a fresh set of rubber bands. I have to say...I had high expectations of the car before picking it up, but it's met or surpassed every one of them. I don't think I can quite describe the feeling of driving it in words, but I'm sure you all know what i'm talking about when I say it makes great noise. ::Note- long story follows::

Now...I actually live in South Carolina, but was going to Buffalo, NY for the holidays. Decided to take a risk and have a road trip. Flew in to Minneapolis on the 19th of December along with my brother, signed the paperwork and got on the road. Thanks to a lot of the info I've read here, I knew a bit of what to expect regarding the trans and clutch...and it felt pretty natural from the get-go. Left Minneapolis ~3pm under sunny skies and dry roads. Made it to Wisconsin, and around 7pm it got foggy. Slowed down accordingly, and it's a good thing because needless to say- a deer lept out from the median of the highway right in front of me. Saw it probably 20ft in from of the car and made a HARD swerve to dodge it (man did the car handle well when doing so). Had I not swerved when I did, he would've impacted just left of the trident on the front of the car. Managed to swerve enough to miss him....except for his face. A tooth (or head bone) managed to just brush the left rear fender flare and left a 3" scratch- no dent! Will be searching for a good paint place here to fix it. After wiping off the blood...I decided it was best to get a hotel for the night. Made it to buffalo the next day no issues, and along the way, got the most enthusiastic thumbs-up I've ever seen. That put a big smile on my face.

Drove the car around buffalo for a couple weeks when the weather was decent showing friends and family, and finally drove to Charlotte then on to Greenville yesterday and today. Another note- though I've driven in snow since having my license, driving on a highway with light snow and frozen asphalt (thanks for not salting or taking care of your roads pennsylvania...I appreciate it) is NOT fun in this car. Made it through though, and got back up to cruising speed once the salt trucks came out (30 miles later).

2000 miles later(!), I'm really in love. The car is great, and with an exhaust change of some sort (I'd like to be able to hear it with the radio on), it will be nearly perfect. I'm going to change out some of the speakers as well.

Here's a picture I took up at Niagara Falls with the upper rapids in the background. Looking forward to many more miles of enjoyment, as well as contributing to the forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
welcome to the club!

I have the same exact car and my wife calls it my girl friend.. Nothing better on the road to drive than my Maserati!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Be careful changing out those speakers....

Welcome to Maserati ownership. I think you will very much enjoy the experience-and the car. In most towns, it is more rare than Ferrari, or even Aston here in Naples, so it almost always starts a friendly conversation with admirers. Can't get better than that.

BUT, be very wary of changing speakers. I too found my non-Auditorium equipped car to be lacking in the fidelity department, and promptly changed out my door speakers with MB Quart components. Our NIT unit, the "brain" of the infotainment system, can be fooled by changes in speaker impedance, and simply shut down. Please see the prior posts on this forum, including mine, with regard to membership experiences. I ultimately went to an aftermarket amplifier, and haven't had any problems since.

Again, welcome!

·
Registered
36 Posts
thats a heart warming story my man, i hope ill be able to post one similar to yours within this year, well minus the part where you almost killed bambi :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts