Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be having the same problem another member had a while back with his navigation screen, but the thread did not end with a solution. I'm hoping someone here can help.

I'm getting a textured screen with an arrow pointing the direction my car is pointing, but no maps or anything else. I'm pretty sure it is not the disk, as I can enter and find an address just fine. It just seems that it cannot locate my car and therefore I think it is just not locating the GPS satellite. The GPS info display lists number of satellites as zero.

The prevous poster said they would try to reinitialize the cd as their dealer told them to, but there was no followup to his post and I tried his directions without success. Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
the dealer has to "hard reboot" the sat system. It is a magic combination of button presses, throttle, ignition, and who knows what else. Hopefully, your car is in warranty, so the dealer can just fix it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Did it always do this?

When I got mine (I bought it used) I found it had the nav software installed but didn't have an antenna for some reason. The nav functioned and I could enter an address but it would never find a satellite.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is the antenna in the lower left corner green? if not, then the antenna for getting the gps signal is missing or disconnected. I had the same problem, had all the cd's, but no antenna. some cars had the antenna installed, but no cd's! love that italian quality control.
an antenna and wiring is, unfortunately 6-800 bucks at the dealer...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I haven't heard back from my service department, but let's hope this fixes easily. The satellite is black on the screen, so I assume I'm hosed. I'm new to this car and it hasn't treated me too well.

Two questions:
Any idea where the satellite is located in the car? I'm wondering if I could see the thing in hopes that I could confirm it is there.
Secondly, wouldn't this be a warranty item?

·
Registered
14 Posts
the antenna is under the grill in the center of the top of the dash- you can't really see it.
Good luck with the warranty approach- it didn't work for me. according to the dealer, many cars didn't come with the nav option, yet maserati sent the cd's with them. other cars had nav, but no cd's.
unless you're a purist, or a sucker like me, save your money. the system works poorly, is a pain to program (maserati has a seperate help line just for nav issues), and isn't worth the money. I never use it, other than to entertain myself by seeing my car on a given road!
IMHO, stick with mapquest...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Get a Garmin 2720 and be done with it. About $1000 or less street price - and a far, far superior unit to the stock nav. So many more features. If you factor in the value of your time back and forth to the dealer, you get it for free!

·
Registered
390 Posts
If it's black it's not getting the signal. The stock factory antenna is under the grille yes but my dealer put in an aftermarket one for $300 and it sits on top of the dash. It's a big black square. Note, there is a small black square on there that has to do with the climate control, the nav antenna isanother bigger uglier black square.

Yes, the nav system sucks and it is occasionally infuriating. I do like having a built-in unit though (much prefered to an outside unit, and besides the dash-top models are illegal in CA), and for $300 bucks it was kind of worth it.

It sounds like your car was like mine, nav installed but no antenna. It cost me 300 bucks to get it working.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Squid,
Any idea what the brand of your aftermarket antenna is? Any idea where it plugs in? These things are quite cheap on the aftermarket, so I am wondering if I can do it myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
GPS Query

Hi Forum,

New here, could any of you folks tell me what make the Satellite GPS navigation system is that comes fitted to the 2003 4200 Cambiocorsa? I'm trying to source new disks for the systen in Dublin Ireland. Thanks in adv!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info Mike, and yes you're right, the CD's are costing around 150 Euro each for european countries.

Sadly it would seem that Ireland is still in the age of Columbus when it comes to our national mapping for GPS!

·
Registered
390 Posts
macadoo said:
Squid,
Any idea what the brand of your aftermarket antenna is? Any idea where it plugs in? These things are quite cheap on the aftermarket, so I am wondering if I can do it myself.
I'll have to look that up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wow, driving a Maserati on those 1 1/2 lane wide Irish roads with the rock walls on each side, and the 1 1/4 lane wide lorry (see, I know the local language!) coming the other way!
It took me a while, and the damage to the rental car was less than minor, but I did learn to driver over there! Heck, driving in London, with a 5 speed stick shift (what were they thinking, giving a stick shift to an American tourist!) was easy after driving all over Ireland.
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
NAV

Nav was not installed in every car, its an option. The antenna in not in the lower left, hope would it see the sat? duh!
There is no such thing as a hard boot...lol
If you do not have a antenna then you did not order Nav with the car.
the system work fine if you know how to use it correctly.
If you bought your car from a dealer new with the Nav option and did not get the disk set then how did your sales person demo the unit to you?
Contact your dealer for a disk set, another duh!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Re: NAV

racerlogic said:
Nav was not installed in every car, its an option. The antenna in not in the lower left, hope would it see the sat? duh!
There is no such thing as a hard boot...lol
If you do not have a antenna then you did not order Nav with the car.
the system work fine if you know how to use it correctly.
If you bought your car from a dealer new with the Nav option and did not get the disk set then how did your sales person demo the unit to you?
duh????

racerlogic-
your account has been locked. before you can post any dense remarks again you will need to complete a course of "forum etiquette 101".

There is no such thing as a hard boot
PROVE IT!

andrew-
:roll:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Re: NAV

racerlogic said:
before you 'duh' other posters, perhaps more than likely he didn't buy his car new from the dealer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Just wanted to post an update to this previous problem I had.

I purchased an aftermarket antenna off eBay for $25, plugged it in, and I have navigaiton. Easy as that. Therefore, for all of you that have the mistakenly installed navigation software, but no navigation capabilities, just buy the disks and antenna off eBay.

·
Registered
279 Posts
haha... probably the cheapest option u can tick... :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
macadoo said:
Just wanted to post an update to this previous problem I had.

I purchased an aftermarket antenna off eBay for $25, plugged it in, and I have navigaiton. Easy as that. Therefore, for all of you that have the mistakenly installed navigation software, but no navigation capabilities, just buy the disks and antenna off eBay.

Where did you plug in the antenna? I could not find where the connector is. I take off the grill(ac grill) on top and middle of the console but find nothing. Did I take off the right grill? Please tell me.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
18 Participants
Rocketman
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing