Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a year ago I had my 6,000 my service. In the last year I put on about 2,500 miles. I just called to do the annual oil change but FMSF says that each year I need an entire annual for $900 which includes an inspection and brake fluid change. Is that everyone's experience?

·
Registered
431 Posts
annual service

Dont waste your money!Not only will it cost you $900 but they will replace/fix things which are not needed/broken!

Just enjoy your car. A friend of mine was quoted £350 to replace the tyre repair foam because it was expired. He told them to PISS OFF! You can get those for £8 and put a Ferrari/maserati sticker on the front for £1.

Same thing with a Fire Extinguisher.

cheers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree, the yearly service is mainly engine oil, oil filter and bleeding brake system. But this could be done at any trusted shop for less than $900. Besides, when I purchased my 2002 Spyder, it came with all the dealer services performed, and when I open the air filter box, I found that the air filter was never replaced in 4 years? It was rusted and breaking into pieces. So, you are better off taking the car to a trusted shop. Good luck!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just bought my Oil Filter $38.00...

I have nothing against our dealers. FM/NJ has been great to me and I will certainly give them my clutch repair or any other Maserati specific business.

However, I just picked up an oil filter from them for $38.00 bucks. I ordered Amsoil European Synthetic for $70.00. My local guy will charge me $100.00 and he will check and replace any and all fluids if need be.

Bleeding your brakes and changing the fluid after 2,500 miles does not seem necessary unless you track your car. I have been told this from a few racing mechanics. If you do not beat on your car, the brake fluid may last at lot longer than 2,500 miles.

Just my 2 cents.

You may want to find a good local mechanic for your basic filter and fluid changes.

CM

·
Registered
530 Posts
A lot of these cars don't get driven 3000 miles a year. it makes sense to do an "annual" inspection/maintenance.$900 is a bit pricey tho...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think bleeding the brakes is cost effective maintanice.

Brake systems absorb moisture from the air, and this moisture will cause corrosion in the system.
Unlike my Ford van, I can't go to the local napa and pick up a rebuilt caliper for $100 bucks. A new Maserati Brembo caliper will be big coin.

Brake fluid is cheap compared to Maserati specific hard parts.

Besides, new brake fluid gives a better pedal feel.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had my 02 Coupe GT recently serviced at Tillack & Co. in Redondo Beach. They did the major for me at 15K miles. I asked for all fluids to be replaced since the car is now 5 years old.

My maint. schedule for my Maser has been oil/oil filer replacement bi-annually. No real reason for the extra oil change every year except it is my preference. The cooling system fluid replacement should not go more than a couple years as the brake fluid replacement should not go for than a couple years. I had the trans and diff oil replaced just because of time. All mechanical systems and wear items checked out good.

To support the earlier statements regarding service; I recommend spending the time to find a good experienced mechanic, and then not worry about the incidental cost of properly maintaining a precious Maserati. (they are all precious)

By the way don't go some "start up" type guy who wants to build a good rep, you will only end up with headaches in the long run. (I already had that experience trying to help someone out, in that situation.) I must confess I am partial to Tillack because they did a great job on my Ferrari and saving me from my earlier mistake, and above all they are a great organization.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yearly service is simply

1. Oil + filter change
2. New spark plugs
3. Check-out of systems (using diagnosics equip) and seals in engine block
4. Check-out other fluid levels (coolant, tranny oil, brake fluid.) Bleed/replace/top-up if necessary
5. In my case, replaced F1 pump relay and pressure-tested the coolant system to check for leaks (as coolant level was kinda low)
6. Also checked rotors/pads, rotors cleaned (drilled holes tend to get obstructed)
7. Plus a complimentary detail :)

Nothing else.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts