Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anynone whines about "depreciation" they should be mocked and then banned.
No really.

:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
If anynone whines about "depreciation" they should be mocked and then banned.
No really.

:)
I absolutely agree. I think any reference to the d-word should be followed by nothing less than double-secret probation. I mean, we are all adults, and either knew what we were getting into, or should have. It works out to less $$ than renting a POS on an annual basis anyway.

On another topic, I am, however, getting concerned about my resale value....

·
Registered
528 Posts
For those concerned about depreciation, there is a way to drive a $100k car for free.

First, you have to have 100K.

Put 80K in the bank earning interest.

Buy a car for 20K

In five years, the money in the bank will be worth 100K again, and any residual on the 20K car is pure profit!

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
This is my first Maserati and I did not buy it for appreciation or depreciation. I bought it for the love of the car and the drive. Anyone buying a Maserati for appreciation or depreciation should not be buying one. It is truly a remarkable car.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That is why you lease new cars and buy classic used cars.

Joe

·
Registered
196 Posts
That bottle of wine that I bought last night depreciated even faster. Amazing how fast that goes. Especially when you drink it ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hard to see the advantage to leasing under any circumstance. Simply costs more than paying cash. Leasing offers no protection regarding depreciation; although it can appear that way.
?? With a residual, you have a floor for the value of the car within a pre-determined milage. If your portfolio out performs the implied rate on your lease, there's a ton of sense to leasing. Not to mention any tax breaks that could be wrung out of a lease in some cases.

Of course if you don't like monthly payments and like to just pay once and forget, then you would choose not to lease/finance. Most of the time, that approach does have a true economic cost.

Anyways, back to talking Maserati's.......

·
Registered
835 Posts
they should learn this word first:

Appreciation.
Exactly... learn to appreciate the car, the engine, every bit of it than simply the monetary value.

car wash solution $11, Carnauba wax $8, tire shine $7, show car shine priceless.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
:D
That bottle of wine that I bought last night depreciated even faster. Amazing how fast that goes. Especially when you drink it ;)
It's funny how you don't think of cars as consumables, yet that's exactly what they are. Your comparison to a fine bottle of wine (or scotch) is right on... You don't expect them to appreciate, you expect to enjoy them while they last, remember the great taste and who you shared the treasure with, then buy another and do it again. I've drunk 3 Maseratis and a F430 in my life and don't regret a moment. My Maserati is depleting slower than ANY high price intoxicant I've purchased (especially the ones in the '80's). When it's gone, I'll buy another and enjoy it again.... :D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
This is my first Maserati and I did not buy it for appreciation or depreciation. I bought it for the love of the car and the drive. Anyone buying a Maserati for appreciation or depreciation should not be buying one. It is truly a remarkable car.
billd, i think you misunderstood the word appreciation.
in the world of maserati, i doubt any cars we own here appreciate in value as you put it. unless so lucky dude has an MC12 here.

Exactly... learn to appreciate the car, the engine, every bit of it than simply the monetary value.

car wash solution $11, Carnauba wax $8, tire shine $7, show car shine priceless.
haha you got it right!

·
Registered
312 Posts
?? With a residual, you have a floor for the value of the car within a pre-determined milage. If your portfolio out performs the implied rate on your lease, there's a ton of sense to leasing. Not to mention any tax breaks that could be wrung out of a lease in some cases.

Of course if you don't like monthly payments and like to just pay once and forget, then you would choose not to lease/finance. Most of the time, that approach does have a true economic cost.

Anyways, back to talking Maserati's.......
I agree; back to Maseratis. I'm not trying to stir anything up.
But anyone interested though in starting a thread on leasing should do so. Its an interesting topic. The "leasing is cheaper" concept is an illusion - for sure and in all circumstances; except: if the lease company flat out makes an error or if you assign the return you earn on your invested money (versus paying cash for the car with some of that money) at something North of 20%. Otherwise cheapest way to buy a Maser - write one check.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hard to see the advantage to leasing under any circumstance. Simply costs more than paying cash. Leasing offers no protection regarding depreciation; although it can appear that way.
1st Rule of Business, Buy things that appreciate, rent or lease things that depreciation.

2nd if you know how to work your money, it will cost you more to pay cash than it will to lease.

·
Registered
517 Posts
billd, i think you misunderstood the word appreciation.
in the world of maserati, i doubt any cars we own here appreciate in value as you put it. unless so lucky dude has an MC12 here.

My Ghibli SS, and Mistral have been appreciating quite nicely for the past few years. My Khamsin and Bora are starting to increase in value now as well.

Joe

·
Registered
329 Posts
Big cars or little cars - to me they are all toys.

I never worried about depreciation when I played with Hot Wheels as a kid.
(Yes I am that old...)

Now the toys are bigger and go faster. Don't care what the depreciation is just as long as I enjoy keeping the car.

My rule of thumb: I don't use the money I plan on investing or saving to buy a toy car. The cars are NOT part of my portfolio.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My Ghibli SS, and Mistral have been appreciating quite nicely for the past few years. My Khamsin and Bora are starting to increase in value now as well.

Joe
sorry, i m posting in the Modern Maserati Forum.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
sorry, i m posting in the Modern Maserati Forum.
As sarcastic as M!'s posts sound I generally agree with his position. You can't compare truly classic Maseratis with a 2005 coupe (for example). Some cars DO appreciate over time. I just saw an AMC Pacer sell for $7500..... Over twice what it sold for in 1974... Do you think the modern Masers will be worth what? $200k in 2033? (todays value = $7500) :confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts