1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! Well...... It took a few weeks to completely install (weekends)..... All you have to do is.....

Mount the Vehicle Hub Pro in the trunk (perfect fit against passenger side).

Remove the back seat (both the top and bottom).

Route a bundle of wires through the passenger-side channel from the trunk to the center console (through channel, under the carpet).

Tap speakers (solder tap).

Tap power (+12V perm and ign)

Tap antenna connections (antenna amp needs power!)

Mount tiny "orb" controller in cup holder (killer little unit! No exposed cables! Vibrates during use ;) )

Use $12,000 worth of logic analyzer/scopes to reverse engineer video connections (R, G, B, CSYNC AND DATA!!!!!! (very important or display goes blank after a while)

I now have AM/FM/Sirius/iPod/Bluetooth/digital radio...... Very cool. I left the NIT in the console so everything fits back together and looks stock.

Last night I hooked up a DVD player and watched part of a movie on the dash screen... Wife thinks I'm nuts since I disconnected the home DVD player and ran an extension cord to the car (had been drinking).

Garmin GPS "black box" NAV and backup camera license plate frame on order.

Ed, no toggle switches, smoke or mirrors! The orb controller works perfectly! I don't miss the hard to use dash controls at all!

More to come... Buzz

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cool! Nice to see that the myth has been busted!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
LOL! Well...... It took a few weeks to completely install (weekends)..... All you have to do is.....

Mount the Vehicle Hub Pro in the trunk (perfect fit against passenger side).

Remove the back seat (both the top and bottom).

Route a bundle of wires through the passenger-side channel from the trunk to the center console (through channel, under the carpet).

Tap speakers (solder tap).

Tap power (+12V perm and ign)

Tap antenna connections (antenna amp needs power!)

Mount tiny "orb" controller in cup holder (killer little unit! No exposed cables! Vibrates during use ;) )

Use $12,000 worth of logic analyzer/scopes to reverse engineer video connections (R, G, B, CSYNC AND DATA!!!!!! (very important or display goes blank after a while)

I now have AM/FM/Sirius/iPod/Bluetooth/digital radio...... Very cool. I left the NIT in the console so everything fits back together and looks stock.

Last night I hooked up a DVD player and watched part of a movie on the dash screen... Wife thinks I'm nuts since I disconnected the home DVD player and ran an extension cord to the car (had been drinking).

Garmin GPS "black box" NAV and backup camera license plate frame on order.

Ed, no toggle switches, smoke or mirrors! The orb controller works perfectly! I don't miss the hard to use dash controls at all!

More to come... Buzz
Two questions:

- How much do you want?
- When can I drop it off?

:)

Very well done.

·
Registered
528 Posts
LOL! Well...... It took a few weeks to completely install (weekends).....

I would also assume that knowing what to do with this stuff is kind of important, too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Care to provide some of the more technical information for us out here in TV land Buzz? such as what you used to step down the voltage on the synch wire and what signal is getting sent down the data wire to keep the screen powered up? Just maybe a small schematic and some tech?

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you aren't going to sell it, you might as well be a hero and give it away. Post the specific particulars and you will be a Maserati legend!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you aren't going to sell it, you might as well be a hero and give it away. Post the specific particulars and you will be a Maserati legend!
LOL! A legend!!!! Right!!!!!

I'm in the process of documenting things, taking more pictures, drawing detailed connector diagrams, adding wire colors, etc. I only have a couple of hours on the weekends to do this stuff because I'm so freakin' busy!

I'm SURE MNA won't allow me to post the information here. There really seems to be a "big brother" mentality that I don't quite understand. They made one guy remove a diagram of the speaker connector, which is a standard ISO connector with standard pin-outs! Can you imagine their horror seeing the serial data links and video connections described in detail? :cool:

When I figure out how to proceed, I'll let you know.

Buzz

·
Registered
660 Posts
LOL! A legend!!!! Right!!!!!

I'm in the process of documenting things, taking more pictures, drawing detailed connector diagrams, adding wire colors, etc. I only have a couple of hours on the weekends to do this stuff because I'm so freakin' busy!

I'm SURE MNA won't allow me to post the information here. There really seems to be a "big brother" mentality that I don't quite understand. They made one guy remove a diagram of the speaker connector, which is a standard ISO connector with standard pin-outs! Can you imagine their horror seeing the serial data links and video connections described in detail? :cool:

When I figure out how to proceed, I'll let you know.

Buzz
You may as well document the whole thing, blend-it in a PPT or Word file (together with pics) and dump-it in a shared drive for those interested to pick. There is nothing (as far as I know) that would legally bind you not to reverse-engineer your car to develop an enhancement... otherwise, all the modders out there would be out of business buried by lawsuits...!

Just my 2c.

You can be bullied, whether there is any legal grounding for that... I pretty much doubt it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
May have to go out tomorrow and buy a new hat, so that I can take it off to you !

And I thought my boot mounted phone aerial installation was a work of art :rolleyes:
Thanks to all of you for the kind words!

I'm far from finished with this project! I got into the serial protocol between the display/controls and the NIT. I'm finding all kinds of cool stuff out! I know the idle message, 1-second keep alive message and button codes of most of the buttons. The remote control "orb" unit for the Vehicle Hub is Ai-Net based and I have that protocol implemented on something else. So, a natural would be convert the dash controls to Alpine control signals and dump the "orb" controller. Ok, it's ambitious but so was cracking the video and basic messaging. Like I said before, the A, B, and C1, C2, C3 connectors are standard ISO connectors (or close) so there was no challenge connecting the speakers, etc. The Vehicle Hub has line-level outputs that can be hooked to external power amps and a built-in active crossover to drive a powered subwoffer. I'll pass on that for now because I don't want to change-out my speakers or lose my trunk space to a sub. Now video.... That's a big 10-4 good buddy :)

Sorry for ranting. I'm really excited about the progress I'm making and as soon as I can convert the installation from a cluge to something doable by a skilled installer, I'll let you all in on it. However, you MAY have to buy my $3000.00 (give or take some zeros) converter box :D

BTW..... Yes, I actually DO have a life! Buzz

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm too stupid to actually understand anything you've done .... but the result sure is cool. Congrats on the breakthrough, and yes, I will buy you that beer!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Keep the info coming!

Buzz, I'm usually on the sidelines in this forum, but am excited about what you have accomplished so far. I would be interested in details once you have them worked out.

You may have trouble posting on this site if MNA has control or influence over it (legal or de facto), but I don't see anything improper or illegal about reverse engineering and publishing the information; you just may have to provide it outside of this particular forum. Unless they can show that you have violated any of their patents, misappropriated trade secrets (e.g., snuck into HQ at night and copied documents as opposed to reverse engineering), copied software, or circumvented some technical protection measure (e.g., hacked around a software copy protection they put in place), they don't have any legal basis to control that information. I don't see how anything you are doing would fit into any of those categories. Just my 2 cents worth in case you are concerned about it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts