Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My glovebox FELL OFF.

I opened it to get a pen out and the whole thing just fell off, hanging by the strut. Closer inspection revealed the brass nutserts supporting the piano hinge all pulled out of the black plastic behind the glovebox which is totally cracked and smashed. Some of the cracks are 3-4" long.... like the whole thing is just falling apart.

I keep the owner's manual in there, which isn't super heavy, and about the only time I open the glovebox is to press the fuel door button.

Obviously, I have not treated it roughly or anything.

Quite weird; swung by the dealer and they've ordered the parts and will fix it.

Anyone else have glovebox issues?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Interesting that you keep the owner's manual in the glovebox, because mine doesn't really fit very well - there's room for a glove maybe, but not much else. I'm wondering if trying to close the glovebox with the owner's manual in place might not have provided the leverage to do the damage to the hinges.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steeldream said:
Interesting that you keep the owner's manual in the glovebox, because mine doesn't really fit very well - there's room for a glove maybe, but not much else. I'm wondering if trying to close the glovebox with the owner's manual in place might not have provided the leverage to do the damage to the hinges.
This is just one of the loose books, and there is still plenty of space - no effort to close the glovebox with it there.

·
Registered
660 Posts
In my case, the glovebox was not closing tight enough, which I sorted by adjusting the hinge strut (moving it slightly backwards) and loosening/re-adjusting the screws to properly align the piano hinge (to get it close evenly).

But was never able to store the owners manual into it, as it would not shut at all. Same as what Steeldream says.

Oh well, part of the ownership experience (otherwise go get a Phaeton... :D )

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bundas said:
how sad, another stab at quality.
Well I have to confess I thought it was funny. The dealer owner answered the phone for service as everyone was out at lunch. I swung by for them to take a quick look, they ordered everything and it will be fixed ASAP.

These things happen, still enjoying the car!!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, I took a look again, and there is a good 2" or maybe 3" of depth in the glovebox.

My manual set came in a huge canvas-like folder for the tools etc. I only had one of the loose books which is maybe 1/2" thick placed in the glovebox - there was room to spare.

I just saw a photo of that red/silver interior GS that had a leather folder for the entire manual set. I don't have that, and doubt it would fit in the glovebox.

Just still a bit confused by the earlier comments.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Glenn Wallace said:
I just saw a photo of that red/silver interior GS that had a leather folder for the entire manual set. I don't have that, and doubt it would fit in the glovebox.

Just still a bit confused by the earlier comments.
Glenn, mine came with the leather binder, as everyone else that I know of... strange yours came without.

Well, the main owners manual does not fit into my glovebox without needing to force close it, something I once tried until I decided it was not worth the risk (of damage). I keep ONLY the manual in the cloth bag for the toolset (it has 2 nice small pockets built for that purpose). The leather binder stays at home with the other car documentation.

Back to the Dolphins game... Daunte C sucks big-time...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Manual Storage

I think that you get the 'Manual Storage Package' when you check the luggage option on the spec sheet.

·
Registered
530 Posts
That's what I meant too. My Owner's Manual came in a Maserati Blue leather folder with a couple of pockets to hold registration and insurance papers and the like.

I can, with some fiddling close the glovebox with the Manual in the folder but then there's no room for anything else. I did keep it in the trunk in the pocket of the tool kit. Then one day the top failed half way up. of course the instructions for the "emergency folding procedure" were in the Manual in the trunk which couldn't be accessed because the top was stuck :D

In the "disasters still aborning" department the emergency start procedure for use when the alarm system packs it in are also in the manual so I wouldn't leave it at home :D

Don't tell me about culpepper - I've got the game Tivoing for later "enjoyment" If Brees wins again this week I may drive off a cliff.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Steeldream said:
Then one day the top failed half way up. of course the instructions for the "emergency folding procedure" were in the Manual in the trunk which couldn't be accessed because the top was stuck :D

In the "disasters still aborning" department the emergency start procedure for use when the alarm system packs it in are also in the manual so I wouldn't leave it at home :D
Thought about those sort of menaces, and for some time I had the manual stored under the drivers seat, but once the cloth pocket I had it in got trapped in the seat railings, no damage (bit of a nuisance) so it's back at the back. Have 2 binded spare copies : 1 at home, and 1 at the office.

Steeldream said:
Don't tell me about culpepper - I've got the game Tivoing for later "enjoyment"
DC got sacked 7 times today... and by the Bills...

Steeldream said:
If Brees wins again this week I may drive off a cliff.
Are you preparing for the event...? And he's done it throwing for 350+ yards. Thinking of using the Maser...? :D

Being a 9ers die-hard fan, I'd rather shut my mouth as this appears to be yet another *great* season :mad:

Now seeing Brady doing the job against the Jets

Ed

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked the car up from the dealer today. All good. Apparently they had to "take the dash completely apart" to replace the back support the glove box hinge fits on to.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sounds scary (taking away the whole front dash is a *huge* operation, hope they've put back everything in place).

Now that you have it sorted, guess you'll need to find a new home for the owners manual... :D

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Troesma said:
Sounds scary (taking away the whole front dash is a *huge* operation, hope they've put back everything in place).

Now that you have it sorted, guess you'll need to find a new home for the owners manual... :D
Yes, I plan to get a trailer hitch and trailer to carry it around, lest it should damage anything on the car.

A few minor smudges I need to clean, but everything looks good.

I also had their detail shop clay bar and polish my car. It had terrible swirls from day 1 (dealer claims some guy at the port seems to put swirls in all the new cars....) and they are now gone. Car looks fantastic, need to post new pics!!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Glenn,

I have a glovebox issue as well. it wont open. They advised the latch is broken so its on order. In the meantime, I open the gas lid from the trunk.

this and the vibration issue, which was caused by the dealer during the clutch change, are the only issues Ive had with the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts