Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much trial and error, I have finally found what i consider to be the best system I could put in my Spyder.

1. I orignally simply swapped out the door speakers to Focal 165ca1, and then swapped the rear deck speakers with Soundstream Midranges.

this was an improvement, but the newer speakers were power hungry and I heard the factory amp clipping...so....

2. I then added an Infinity Basslink w/an Internal 4x50 amp, which powered the Focals and the Soundstream mids..., I then put Aura BassShakers under each seat and used the factory amp to run the bass shakers.

the Basslink added some decent low end , our Seats are way too well built, so it cancelled out the Aura Bass Shakers effect. the sound from the now powered Focals, and Soundstreams were OK, using the 4x50 watt amp, but again, I could the amp loosing steam when it was just beginning to sound good.

3. I then added 2 small a/d/s amps to run both the Focals and Soundstream mids. this install, required the use of a Low/high level adapter, which caused problems with factory amp/head unit and the BassLink.

4. I then went balls out and installed Dynaaudio 240GT Component Speakers, which are 7inch Mid/bass, separate Tweeters, and separate Crossovers in the front doors, and kept the Soundstream Mids in the rear deck.

I am running an A/d/s dual 10inch woofer box in the trunk.

I installed 2 JL Audio amps, a 450/4 and a 500/1 amp, which fit very nicely in the area where the Spare tire would sit.

I am running the Dynaudios with 150x2, and the Soundstreams with 75x2
and the Dual 10inch woofer box with the 500x1 watts.

The Verdict:

Unbeleivable! even with the top and windows down, there is incredible midrange vocals and extended highs. The dual 10inch woofers in the trunk add warmth which you can feel in your back w/o being boomy.

The Dynaaudios being 7inch vs the stock 6.5inch, required a bit of cutting of the inside of the door, but we were able to retain the factory mounting hole.

Contrary to what I thought, the factory radio still puts out decent quality sound and does not get lost on the higher-end speakers and amps.

the Shop even made a custom Spare tire trunk cover with ventilated opennings, to allow air flow to the amps.

the only problem I have now, is that I want to drive the car even more, and find myself straying on my trips to the grocery store, extending them to longer joy rides.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Which shop did you use?

I'm OK with my current "Auditorium 200" but would like a better head end.

Thx - Deane

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DeaneG said:
Which shop did you use?

I'm OK with my current "Auditorium 200" but would like a better head end.

Thx - Deane
Deane

I think swapping out the Head unit is tricky and not reccomended by many.

I did my install @ Audiomobile in Oakland CA

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've got the GS, which has a normal single-DIN headend without any integration into the rest of the car. If I want to figure out my MPG, I have to do the math myself!

So I'm hoping to just slip something nicer in.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That sounds so worthy. The choice of brands make me think of nice home audio and not car audio. Enjoy.

I too want to upgrade because the Auditorium 2000 makes my ears bleed on rock albums, even with treble turned down. Fairly neutral sound but just too unforgiving.

The ultimate audiophile sports car might be the Ford GT, which can be ordered with a $4k McIntosh sound system.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
or the S8's B&O. may be it is just overpriced. but it sure if fun to watch the tweeter coming up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
M! said:
or the S8's B&O....fun to watch the tweeter coming up.
Especially if B&O uses their tweeters made from diamonds...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CDF said:
That sounds so worthy. The choice of brands make me think of nice home audio and not car audio. Enjoy.

I too want to upgrade because the Auditorium 2000 makes my ears bleed on rock albums, even with treble turned down. Fairly neutral sound but just too unforgiving.

The ultimate audiophile sports car might be the Ford GT, which can be ordered with a $4k McIntosh sound system.
CDF

I was actually considering a McIntosh amp for the main Dynaudios. Had I had a HardTop vehicle I would have, but with the Drop top, a considerable amount of Sound is lost.

And your right, my other hobby is Home Audio, 2 channel. I think my systems at home are worth more than my entire vehicle.

If you choose the Dynaudios, they do have a Tweeter level controls on the Outboard Crossovers to suit your personal taste and save the ear bleeding.

·
Registered
255 Posts
CDF said:
Hmmm - or maybe the Aston Martin Vanquish with the £15K Lynn Electronics option?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A bit more tweaking and Upgrading...

I have now taken out the ADS Subwoofer box with the 2 10 inch woofers.
I found that having a box this big really made the trunk "grocery store" unfriendly.

I have now added a JL Audio 12in W6 woofer in a smaller Q Logic Sub-enclosure. This gives me back the majority of my trunk and still retains most of the low-end I was getting with a pair of 10inch subs.

I came across a pair of old school Rockford Fosgate Punch Midbass speakers with HUGE magnets, which have now replaced the SoundStream Mid-bass in the rear panel. In all honesty, the upgraded Midbass speakers didn't add much, as they are used mostly for 'fill'.

The Dynaudio's are breaking in well, and are sounding even better than before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts