Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The warranty on my 04 CC is over May 28, 2008. I wanted to take her to the dealer one last time to check out the suspension. I hear a rattle over speed bumps. They said its a bushing and they will fix it. I got a Lexus 350 loaner.

To make a long story short, Mark the very nice service guy asks me if I hear a noise when driving the car from a stop. I said yes and I thought it was normal. He said the whinning or "spleen noise" that you hear is a common problem with these cars and requires a clutch bearing replacement and adjustment. (I do not know the exact specifics). Great news, its covered under warranty. However, it is a long job 12+ plus hours because they have to drop everything to get to the clutch.

I asked since you are dropping everything, if my clutch is bad or close to it, what would it cost to replace it. He said the clutch is 1,479.00 plus tax and all the labor is covered since they have to do it anyway for the clutch bearing adjustment.

Bottom line, at 20,000 miles is there any reason why I should NOT replace my clutch for $1,479.00? I am sure its atleast 50 - 70% worn? I am saving about 2,000 in labor costs? I called two other dealers, PA and Staten Island and got clutch prices of 4,100 and 3,500....

Thanks. CM

Can not say enough good things about FMNJ service. They really took care of me.

CM

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It actually gets better... Super honest dealer...

So Mark the honest service guy from Maserati NJ calls me with the following information. At 19,900 miles my clutch is 40% worn. It has 60% of clutch life left. He went on to add that after they reset all the clutch points the clutch will be more effecient on wear over the next 5,000 - 10,000 miles.

He talked to everyone in the shop and they all recommended NOT paying for a new clutch. He thinks I can get at least another 20,000 miles if not more from my current clutch. At 6,000 miles a year, thats 3 more years without a clutch job.

I am very happy to say the least. His honesty and professionalism is incredible.

CM

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From used to new sneakers.... WOW....

So they replaced and adjusted the clutch bearing and set all new clutch points. (Apparently this is a common issue with the CCs)

The shifts are faster and smoother. It feels like a different car. It rides and shifts SO MUCH BETTER... I can not believe how much better it is. Its like wearing used sneakers after a while they fade but you still think they are comfortable and nice, until you put on a fresh new pair.

If you hear any noise from a stop while taking off and your car is under warranty, have them check your clutch bearing. Its worth it.

CM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts