Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else experienced a battery light coming on.. I have a 2010 GT convertible.. battery light came on after a long road trip... stays on steady until about 3 to 4 thousand rpms.. then flashes.. and goes back to steady.. the battery is holding 12.4 volts.. not sure if is the battery or the alternator..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes running the meter went down to 11.4 then on to 10 something and then when I revved the engine a bit it said take it to the dealer ...something with the brakes... s.o.b. just had my 60 k tune up..

3,002 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like the alternator for sure...Cars just break and that is just how it goes and usually not at a good time...If a shop is fixing it then it needs to be towed or you'll be sorry as it will just quit on you at any moment...Jason

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a tow truck on the way so I hooked up a battery charger for a 60 min charge at 15 amps so I could load the car onto the flat bed .. now the battery is totally dead.. what in the world now?

3,002 Posts
It is possible that battery has a shorted cell and it is not the alternator...Look in your manual for the release in front of the shifter to get car in neutral...J

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes battery is really hot as well..found the hole up there but not sure what I'm pushing on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should I try to go buy a new battery for it.. I think that's better than practically destroying everything.. it's really hot.

3,002 Posts
It is worth a try, but the local auto parts store pretty much has crap as far as batteries... You could remove the battery and have them check it......J

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doing that .. they have some platinum battery that has some kind of gel in it they say it's the same group as mine ... the one in there is some triple A replacement battery 2 years old.. carries a 3 year warranty but not to me because I didnt purchase it.. go figure..went to get in my truck and go for a new battery and my keys were not on the key chain for my truck... has the smell of my son at work...what a day!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well.. put a new battery in and made the car work but noticed smoke coming from the alternator... so its disconnected now.. going to have it brought to the shop tomorrow... I must have caught it at the precise moment but I beleive the alternator is toast...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well.. put a new battery in and made the car work but noticed smoke coming from the alternator... so its disconnected now.. going to have it brought to the shop tomorrow... I must have caught it at the precise moment but I beleive the alternator is toast...
But why?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doing that .. they have some platinum battery that has some kind of gel in it they say it's the same group as mine ... the one in there is some triple A replacement battery 2 years old.. carries a 3 year warranty but not to me because I didnt purchase it.. go figure..went to get in my truck and go for a new battery and my keys were not on the key chain for my truck... has the smell of my son at work...what a day!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts