Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very scary experience in my 2002 maser coupe.

Driving to work, I was making a left turn at a light, onto an underground parkway (lower Columbus drive for anyone in Chicago), and hit full throttle for a second to get through the intersection safely. I eased off the throttle very quickly, but to my surprise (putting mildly) the gas pedal was stuck at full throttle. In a space of about 2 seconds I was hurtling at incredible speed down towards the next light (red of course) where there were too many stopped cars to avoid. I hit the brakes which slowed the car briefly, but - in case you were wondering but never had a chance to try it - the brakes are no match the engine at full throttle and I just lost control. Once I started to spin, I decided to go with it and just spun the car a couple of times before I managed to shutoff the engine (yes, I know what you are thinking - I could have just put the car into neutral much more easily, but believe me when I say that kicking the cambio into neutral in the space of 2 seconds, when you are in an emergency manuever to keep control is NOT intuitive except maybe if you are a formula one driver).

Other than enduring glares from the drivers who followed behind me (actually, they where in front of me when I finished, facing the wrong way on the road..), no harm done but it could have been much much worse.

Here is how it happened: On my car (not sure if this is a 2002 thing or not) the drivers side floor matt is anchored by only 2 plastic fasteners unlike most cars I have seen where there are 4. At some point, one of these fasteners must have come out though I never noticed it until now. The remaining single fastener is just not strong enough to hold the carpet matt in place and it popped out while I was driving. The matt then slid forward, and when I pushed the pedal to full throttle, the pedal pushed under the matt and then the matt held the pedal in place. I know it seems strange, but I have replicated this using my hands (with the car off) and the matt is really good at holding the accelerator pedal at full throttle if the matt slips forward.

So, moral to the story - check your matts regularly and immediately replace any missing fasteners. Might be a good idea to use velcro too.

·
Registered
909 Posts
having the throttle stick full bore has to be one of the scarier things to happen short of no brakes.

67 SS camaro convertible, had just been taken out of storage, and coming up on a hard left downhill corner to stop sign.. And the 67's brakes weren't exactly confidence inspiring. I was the passenger, and had to get on the floor to pull the pedal back up. Some wd-40 on the linkage and it was fixed. Funny how the little things can turn into big ones in such a hurry.

- mark
aka mpphotowerks

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
good story and good advice, but is this really necessary:
jsnorman said:
... and hit full throttle for a second to get through the intersection safely.
you dont get bonus for getting to work early, u know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts