Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was driving to work (west Hollywood) on wilshire (Beverly hills) and i stepped on the gas. between my house (westwood) and "Little Santa Monica Blvd" (Beverly hills), there is a golf course. this stretch of road is a 35 mpg place, but i decided that 75 was the adequate speed to cruse at.

at the top of a little hill in the entrance of the golf course, i see one car and a bike (police). i immediately brake and pass them at a slower but still high speed. i then pull to a gas station that is on the right hand side (76).

i pretend like i have seen nothing and all of a sudden i hear a laud!!! horn and the bike is next to me with a not so happy cop. i jump up and pretend i was startled, then i lower the window and say "god you scard me" the cop was not impressed with my acting abilities (this being hollywood).

he asked for my licensed and said i slowed down when i got to the top of the hill , but he got me on the radar at 54 on a 35 zone. i then maid some great argument and apologized for my actions and blamed it on my friend. " officer its his first time in a Maserati and he wanted to go fast"

later i added that my father was a member of the 11-99 foundation (a famous foundation that gives money to the families of killed cops) and he came back and just gave me a warning for the speed and a ticket for not having the license plate on the car.

i was really worried (haven't gotten a ticket in 3 to 4 years) , but my history with the dmv is not good.

i kid you not, this has happened to me 3 time now, i just don't get ticket with this car. i got more with my BMW's. i don't know if it is luck or the car...

-willie

·
Registered
11 Posts
lucky you!, sounds a right nightmare at least we have set spped cameras and rareley do we get officers with speed guns and I have never been stopped by the police ever!.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Willie:

That is too funny! The same thing happened to me in my Alfa just before I got the Maserti. I saw the motorcycle cop pulled off on the side and as I drove by I saw him putting his radar gun away. What saved me, was traffic was heavy from the other direction, so it took him a bit to get out. By that time I was up the road further and saw a gas station. I pulled in, and was out of the car opening the gas door when he pulled in behind me. I looked started and said "oh no, what did I do?"

Now, here is the funny part... I handed him my license, he looked at it and said, I see you have a motorcycle endorsement, what do you ride? I told him I had a thing about Italian stuff and said the bike is 2004 Aprilia, and that I also had a Lamborghini and Maserati 4Porte. He handed me back my license and said, "keep your speed down. I can't ticket someone with a bike as gorgeous as an Aprilia".

Like you, I dodged a bullet. I was probably going 55+ in a 35MPH zone.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Cloaking Device

I don't drive without my "cloaking device". Well, that's what I call my Valentine One radar detector. It beeps, I slow to the speed limit. Instant instinct. Laser guns are plentiful here in Plano, Texas but it also detects disfuse laser scatter off of cars ahead. If the laser is on you, you're dead without a jammer. But if I could drive the exact speed of light........................

:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wondered when we'd get around to a thread on radar detectors... They're legal in Michigan, but I still don't like the ones that stick on your windshield or dash. Can anyone suggest an installation that will mount in the front grill and be fairly inconspicuous in the interior. I guess I'm looking for a stealth cloaking device.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I know that road, I used to commute down that stretch every day (WeHo-> Westwood). I always did 55 and dammit, 70 is pretty darn safe for a short bit as well. There's just no threat of anything jumping in front of you.

But I've never seen a speed trap...I'll have to be more careful. Thanks for the warning!

I've been trying to get an 11-99 application for a while now, they're not so easy to get into.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Gavin01 said:
Wondered when we'd get around to a thread on radar detectors... They're legal in Michigan, but I still don't like the ones that stick on your windshield or dash. Can anyone suggest an installation that will mount in the front grill and be fairly inconspicuous in the interior. I guess I'm looking for a stealth cloaking device.
I have a K40 system in my QP. All stealth with two lights (front and rear radar) nicely added to the speedo pod. One knob for on/off/volume mouted in the front of the driver seat near the seat heat/cooling dials. Its not quite as sensitive as the Valentine One I was using but it works well enough. The K40 Laser detector is useless however.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've got the Valentine One with a windshield mount because I use it in whichever car I happen to be driving. I also have 11-99 Foundation plate frames :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had a Valentine One installed on both my Spyders. The detector unit is mounted high on the windshield just above and to the right of the mirror. It is well hidden in that location. I had the remote display unit mounted on the ledge in front of the dash display. With the remote display unit, the detector itself does not light up...the lights are only on the remote display unit. The installer was able to hide all wires.

Having tried and owned a number of detectors, the Valentine is clearly superior and they have a great upgrade program.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Gavin01 said:
I have an 06 GS that i purchased last Christmas and installed a Colibri F40 system. It is fully Blue Tooth with no holes to drill in the fire wall. The only thing you see is the difuser below the front and rear bumper and two blue lights installed in the dash. It has a remote control device and comes with a one year no speeding ticket guarantee, (or they will pay the cost of the ticket).

Been lucky so far. Highly recommend this system as I do regular high speed runs and always seem to be the first one in the group to know when a smokie is lurking.

·
Registered
111 Posts
kbrookings said:
I have a K40 system in my QP. All stealth with two lights (front and rear radar) nicely added to the speedo pod. One knob for on/off/volume mouted in the front of the driver seat near the seat heat/cooling dials. Its not quite as sensitive as the Valentine One I was using but it works well enough. The K40 Laser detector is useless however.
I am interested to get your feedback on why the K40 Laser detector is useless. I have had my K40 Bluetooth system on my 06 GS for almost a year now and have been very fortunate to not get any tickets, knock wood. Has yours failed?

·
Registered
312 Posts
vungul said:
I am interested to get your feedback on why the K40 Laser detector is useless. I have had my K40 Bluetooth system on my 06 GS for almost a year now and have been very fortunate to not get any tickets, knock wood. Has yours failed?
Yes, failed twice now; both times were laser. K40 did pay for the first one. Also I have read tests that appear quite well done that shows that K40 laser doesn't work. Also lots of false alarms. But the stealth nature of this one is attractive.

Here is one test:
http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=1064

·
Registered
530 Posts
Radartest is notably biased. i've used a number of diffferent detectors over the years, and the V-1 is by far the best. Earliest alert, most reliable in the city (less falsing), and the arrows/number display are great features.

·
Registered
455 Posts
willie said:
so i was driving to work (west Hollywood) on wilshire (Beverly hills) and i stepped on the gas. between my house (westwood) and "Little Santa Monica Blvd" (Beverly hills), there is a golf course. this stretch of road is a 35 mpg place, but i decided that 75 was the adequate speed to cruse at.

at the top of a little hill in the entrance of the golf course, i see one car and a bike (police).

Glad I read this. I thought that section was a relatively free of radar.
I have heard they are near beverly glenn and wilshire catching people as they come up over the hill.

I hate driving in the far right lane going east along there as the road is terrible.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Lots of police presence in the past few weeks. Time to take it easy. I saw a biker cop in this location this morning as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GregD said:
Glad I read this. I thought that section was a relatively free of radar.
I have heard they are near beverly glenn and wilshire catching people as they come up over the hill.

I hate driving in the far right lane going east along there as the road is terrible.

me too, the road sucks (they NEED to fix it)

i literally live on wilshire and beverly glen, and i always heir cops at night polling people over. i just can't see where they are.

i actually had never seen a cop on that section of wilshire where i got the ticket on till that day. (or after)

but i kid you not its the 3rd time i get away with it.

-willie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts