Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there's one or two threads that are similar but not the same so has anyone seen the following symptom before:

All blinkers/indicators on one side of the car (RHS in this case) are out along with the indicator for turning right on the dash as well. Left hand side works fine. No other electrical/electronic system seems to be effected. RHS doesn't work when locking/unlocking the car or when hazard warning button is functioned (LHS works for those too).

I'm hoping it's just a relay and not a wire going to ground (no doubt somewhere in the depths of the car). I don't think it can be a fuse since one side still works? I'll check the rear bulb as well since it's easier to get to but again, unless there is some funky wiring one bulb shouldn't shut down the entire side (plus the dash). Any ideas?

The stealership can't look at the car until next week and it's not ideal to drive around in the mean time without any right turn signals.

·
Registered
418 Posts
it sounds more like a fuse to me. These circuits are usually done via different fuses so you don't loose all your lights at same time. I'd say check the fuses first.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As expected, main fuse is OK and the bulbs are fine.

To recap, none of the RHS indicators flash when functioning the turn right stalk or switching on the hazard warning button (LHS works fine, all other electrical functions work fine too).

There must be a lower level relay or contact between the "turn right" input or "hazard warning" input and the wiring going to the bulbs. I'm pretty sure I've burned out this relay. Does anyone who's dug around behind the dash and other areas know where exactly this relay might be?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Relaying some info

Had the same exact symptoms, nothing at all on right side including dash indicator. It was traced to a bad relay. Including diagnosis which I pressume was them saying , yup must be the relay charge was $300ish. I decided to have them change the F-1 pump relay while they were at it for an all in total of $425. [Yeah I know I'm slack and could have done all of the work myself but the extra $200 or so was worth my not accidently frying my f1 pump and finding the right relay to begin with].
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gave Eddie Rodriguez a call and thought is the IGE electronic module (or IGE lamp control unit depending on where you look on the internet) is bad. Presumably it's not completely dead as the left hand side still works but it sounds like it is matter of replacing the whole box rather than replacing internal components.

I guess the box (that's under the dash) takes the signals from the turn lever or hazard warning button and then sends them out to the indicator bulbs and dash from there. Haven't yet confirmed this is the problem - I'll have to get the dealer to charge me $125 an hour to swap a box from another of their coupes to confirm but it sounds about right. I had to laugh at the dealer - they thought the symptom sounded "very vague, it could be anything", i.e. they'd like to take their time to do some thorough troubleshooting (at the previously stated $125 an hour). I was thinking the symptom is very, very clear?

$346 plus tax from the dealer or 118 pounds sterling plus shipping from Eurospares for an IGE unit.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For anyone interested, I finally resolved the issue.

The IGE unit under the dash takes the inputs from the turn signal lever, the hazard warning button and the brake pedal and sends the appropriate output to a left turn relay or a right turn relay (both under the dash too, but quite far back towards the engine bulkhead) or to the brake lamps at the rear. From the relay the signal just gets fired to the bulbs on that side of the car.

So because my brake lamps were actually working but not the turn bulbs, it was the relay and not the IGE box that was faulty. The relay had stuck open and hence the lights didn't flash from any input source (including the remote key lock/unlock). Though not common, apparently it's not unheard of for these relays to also stick closed and therefore the turn signals stay on constantly all the time. The cost from the dealer was $80 for a relay (29 pounds I think at Eurospares) instead of $350 for the IGE box.

A basic drawing of the IGE box is available on the Eurospares website.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Currently have the same symptom, no RH turn signal nor dash indicator....intermittent. Hazard lights L and R work fine.

I can sometime force the RH signal to work by operating the high-beam flasher a few times, then operate RH signals. So, maybe a light-stalk problem, or maybe a relay problem. Sometimes, the RH signal works fine.

I'm in a small-ish Texas town, and maybe the local exotic independent service guy can track it down. He's the previous owner of my car. I'll take it in tomorrow AM, and report back on progress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ronev:

Did you find the solution. I have a 2003 with intermittent right hand turn signals. Left works fine. However when the right is not working they will still work from the hazards...

Getting ready to install a used IGE to see if it fixes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had my Independent replace the stalk unit, did not solve problem. I did discover how to make the problem occur much less often.

I found that when I first turn the key on, I work the turn signals left and right, then start the engine. Generally, if both turn signals work when the key is on, they'll work as you drive.

I love this car and have realized it will never be perfect with all electronics working all the time. Toyotas and many other cars will be "perfect" all the time in that regard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Installed IGE, strangely the turn signals would work longer (i.e. 15-20 minutes of driving instead of getting to the 3rd intersection and stopping). Next step is the RH Relay.

CUP97: do you have a part number for the relay?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same problem.

I went to replace a burnt out right hand signal light and once the new bulb was in there was no power to just that light. So I suspect the right relay from what I'm reading here. Left hand side lights work fine. Can someone tell me how to get to the relays? Are the right and left relays interchangeable and are they next to each other?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts