Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone paying out there for the all fluids change?

·
Registered
228 Posts
At FM of Orange County, CA......

I paid $1195 last year for ALL FLUID and FILTER changes; including brake fluid and bleeding. The car was in the shop for three days. As my car (2003 Maser Coupe CC) also had a very minor warranty-covered item to be checked, the dealership provided me a no-cost loaner car for that time. Maser Service guy Mitch and Service Manager John have ALWAYS been great to me. Good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just talked with Mitch. Now it's $1650.
ouch.
Desert European said $2000
double ouch.
I guess I'll be doing it myself.
I wish we had an easy to find list of the articles on DIY maintenence!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
$1,600 at Auto Gallery a few months ago.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Try Tillack & Co. in Redondo Beach. ("Fast Cars" - ask for Craig)

They did all fluids on my 02 Coupe GT just over a year ago, was a very favorable cost. Best group I've ever dealt with.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Those prices are simply nuts for simple fluid changes -even at $125-$150/hr. I bought the fluids myself as I was being particular as to what I wanted and I did it WITH my local mechanic on the lift - his 1st Maserati.

I got all the info I needed on this forum. Bottom line, the oil change is no different than any other, neither is the gearbox, steering fluid or coolant flush. The only thing you need to know is (1) where the drain and fill places are, (2) what to replace each fluid with and (3) the quantity of each.

That's it. Nothing more. Took us about 2-3 hours taking our time.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
After having installed my BMC air filter + DBW + ECM, I'll do my own fluids change next time.

By the way, what's the hour rate for an independent shop? Mine is charging $110/h. It seems a lot considering that the dealer charges $140/h.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I was thinking about Ramp.
I wish we just had a section with the howto articles.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
That's what I was thinking about Ramp.
I wish we just had a section with the howto articles.
That would be great to have a site to put all the DIY stuff rather than havfinf to search. I wrote it all down so if you want the info I have let me know and I'll post it.

My local guy charges $80/HR.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be great to have a site to put all the DIY stuff rather than havfinf to search. I wrote it all down so if you want the info I have let me know and I'll post it.

My local guy charges $80/HR.

I would definitely appreciate that.
Thanks Ramp.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
I would definitely appreciate that.
Thanks Ramp.
Here's what I posted back in July -edited in BOLD from what I've learned since. Be sure to see Kent's powerpoint presentation on oil changes here -

http://www.universalautosports.com/temp/universalautosports.ppt

Re 30k Service

1. I already replaced the air filter with the BMC from FD (Slightly noticeable improvement ) and will do the brake fluid next month when I do the pads and lines along with Denso Iridium Plugs which will finish up what is essentially the 30k service. (Still trying to find time to do the brakes and plugs)

2. Oil - Ordered the filter from Trident Parts. I was going to use Mobile 1 but ended up buying a case of Redline Full Synthetic 5W/40 - 9 Quarts plus one extra. Note that you need a 12 mm hex bit/tip/wrench for the block drain plug ! This was my first time using Redline and my oil pressure is definately more responsive, i.e., prior the pressure would drop to 35 at warm idle and then max peg on acceleration. It still does BUT under moderate acceleration my pressure does not automatically peg. I attribute this to more easily flowing oil and therefore less wear on the oil pumps.

3. Coolant - Decided to use 3 gallons of BMW Coolant. Was thinking of adding some Water Wetter but think I'll wait until I see the temp with the new coolant. She generally stays at 195 but on days over 80 and tooling around town/traffic, she does move to one needle width past that. - Added the Water Wetter a week or so later and found ZERO difference in temps.

3. Gearbox - 4 Quarts of Royal Purple Max Gear SAE 75W/90 - 3 quarts to fill, 1 quart to flush and top off. Per one of the threads and the label, this meets GL4 and GL5 standards for the Limited Slip Differential and should be an improvement. All is okay but did not notice any improvement.

4. Power Steering - Unsure Here - I bought 1 Quart Redline Synthetic ATF for Dexron II Applications. The label does state that although it is ATF fluid, it is suitable for power steering units requiring Dexron II and does satisfy Dexron II-D and E applications. Per the manual, it states "ATF Dexron II D LEV SAE 10W". The Redline does NOT specify a weight which has me somewhat hesitant. I used the Redline and have had no issues.

5. Cambiocorsa - I'm not changing the fluid - new F1 and relay put in about 600 miles ago. But I am topping off the level with Mobile 1 ATF. Different color than what is in there now but per advice on the forum, this should be fine. Only question here is if it is a problem topping off with something other than what's in there ?? I did find that the Volvo ATF fluid is exactly the same and have some on hand to top off but if it's fine, no need to do anything.
In another post I provided this . . .

Here's my breakdown from a local guy and I had the pleasure of working on the car with him. See my post on Part 1 of the 30k service.

$225 in Redline Oil, Redline Power Steering Fluid (really Redline ATF), Royal Purple Max Gear Tranny Oil, BMW Coolant. $40 for the oil filter (X-press shipped) from Trident Parts, $100 for the BMC Air Filter from FD. $20 for a Quart of CambioCorsa CHF to top it off (from Volvo).

$275 for Labor and degreaser cans (plus $40 tip to one of the service guys - my choice).

We jointly flushed the coolant system, drained/replaced the oil and filter, cleaned up grease/debris with de-greaser and rags, drained and flushed the gear box and replaced with Royal Purple, I had already done the air filter, drained and replaced the power steering fluid and topped off the Cambio Corsa tank. The belts and everything else looked great.

Feeling from learning how to service your own Maserati - priceless. I would not, however, recommend doing this unless you have access to a lift - just not worth the effort doing it on your back. I am lucky to have a local garage that allows me to use his tools and do the work with him.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ramp, well said my friend.
I am working on service DYI procedures now.
Currently converting to PDF so everyone can access.
I can scan and post some service manual info covering service.
I will include the forgotten pollen filter,which by the way should be changed annually. The fluid and filter changes are pretty straight forward, but are a real effort. Brake bleeding (recommended every two years) is a two man task.
Under car access is a potential hurdle without a proper lift, but not impossible.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank you all. I am looking forward to your DIY info. I prefer working on my own car because I check, double check and check some more. Ever since that mechanic when I was in high school forgot to replace the oil after draining, and then he took the car for a test drive.......

·
Registered
123 Posts
RAMP, I hope you dont mind, but I linked and attributed the info on post 14 on this thread onto sportsmaserati forum in the UK.

Many thanks,

P

·
Registered
742 Posts
Gear Box Fluid vs Cambiocorsa fluids?

Gentlemen:

I guess I am confused. I always have my gear box fluid changed with my oil, but I am not sure if my cambiocorsa fluid gets changed?

Can someome tell me the differences, what fluids they prefer and how often they change their Cambiocorsa fluid? Also where that plug is located?

Thanks. CM

·
5,887 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts