Maserati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first saw photos of the Alfa 8C Competizione prototype , I thought it looked amazing...

Just saw this on Autocar's site... I don't know anyone mad enough to spend that kind of money on an Alfa

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
Alfa’s dramatic 8C Competizione supercar project is at a turning point as you read these words. In the past few weeks Alfa insiders have been sounding out the possibility of charging as much as €150,000 – or about £100,000 – for the car. They are said to be gauging reaction to the price as this is rather more than originally envisaged. Autocar has also learnt that 600 orders is the break-even point before management will give the 8C the green light. Even so, there’s still plenty of discussion about the car’s fundamental make-up, according to sources.

As part of the ongoing cost-cutting investigations, the carbonfibre monocoque bodyshell will be dropped. It still sits on Alfa’s clever split-frame chassis (and uses some of the Premium platform’s running gear), but the upper body structure may now be built with Fiat’s steel spaceframe technology.

At the moment the three prototype cars are fitted with a 410bhp version of the 4.3-litre V8 Maserati engine, although some of the engineers are keen to use the supercharged version which delivers well over 450bhp. However, cost pressures (superchargers are expensive) could kill the plan. It’s also possible that the car may use a version of Ferrari’s new 483bhp 4.3-litre F430 engine. There’s said to be some disquiet within Fiat Auto about the 8C stepping on the corporate toes of Maserati, with some suggesting that the 8C could steal sales from the Coupé if the Alfa-Maserati divide becomes blurred

(PS: I posted this onto the Maserati.com forum, but it's such a pain in the neck to get to the forum (too many clicks and login prompts) that I think nobody reads anything there...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts