Maserati Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Looking at an 05 Coupe right now to purchase and took it to a reputable Ferrari shop for a PPI.

The most concerning thing they found was an airbag light that could not be cleared, plus codes:
  • Left crash data
  • Driver airbag open circuit
  • Passenger airbag open circuit

The shop said this most likely means the airbags were deployed, and the airbag ECU has not been replaced as it should have been.

I'm seeing some threads here about the airbag light coming on because of a heater core leak.

My question is - would a heater core leak cause those codes as well? Or do the codes likely mean the airbags have been deployed?
And if there was a collision, at what speed (low or high) impact could cause those codes?

For other context:
  • It looks like the vehicle has been repainted as well, especially noticeable in the front end, which may indicate some collision in the past. I did call the servicing Maserati dealer and they have no record of anything collision or airbag-related for this car. Also the Carfax is clean.
  • The PPI shop today did take the cover off the steering wheel to check - there is an airbag present in there. They did not check the passenger side to see if there is an airbag.
  • The underside inspection came back very clean - nothing looks misaligned, bent, etc. Same with the bumper/body panel gaps, all looks good.

Any thoughts on this? I don't want to discount what seems like an otherwise good car, but also don't want to get something that's likely been in a major collision.
For what it's worth, the selling independent dealership is also quite reputable but they don't have records for this car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A follow up question - if it is a bad Airbag ECU, is it possible to source a new/rebuilt one? The PPI shop isn't sure where to find a replacement.
Located in Canada.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm assuming it would be part # 198675
Please let me know if that's incorrect.

I'm seeing it on a couple sites:

Open to any other thoughts. If they're able to diagnose it as a bad ECU, we'll likely order one of those unless I'm told that's incorrect or unlikely.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all, simple question - when the Airbag is behaving properly should the Airbag light blink at startup then go off?
Want to verify once it's fixed.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
I believe it's market geography dependant, but certainly UK yes

C

Reactions: digitaladam
1 - 5 of 5 Posts