Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the tire pressure on my car needs careful monitoring. I hadn't driven my car in a couple of months, and last week when I pulled onto the freeway I felt a definite vibration in the front end. I thought I had thrown a wheel weight or something, so I pulled off at the next exit and checked the tire pressure. All four were at least five pounds low, and I've driven less than a couple hundred miles since last checking them. Added air and the vibration went away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whats the recommended pressure for the car, and which pressure have you found to be best for increased handling/performance?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tire sizes, pressures

My car is an '02 coupe, and has the stock wheels/tires, I'm not sure what size. The door sticker calls for 29psi fornt and rear.

·
Registered
151 Posts
On the coupe i think the fronts are 235x45x18 and the rear is 265x40x18. This is from memory.

Given the engine was in front I always had the fronts pumped higher than the rear... in the region of 32 fronts and 30 rear. All this is subjective given what type of ride I was looking for. Road condition and temperature played a big part in my decision making.

U mentioned 29psi for all tires. That sounds a bit low to me. Check the conversion again what does it say exactly on the sticker. I always found that the factory recommendation too high for my liking.

The factory recommendation for the GS is around 36psi. For me, thats way too high. I have got my tires around 33-34psi all round.

I got them the same psi all round this time coz the way I drive the GS, I find that the rear sags and rolls too much when hard cornering.

I also use Nitrogen in all 4 tires. Given the variation of temperature in Singapore between night and day, using N gives me consistancy. They feel exactly the same on a 36 degree hot day and 25degree morning. Mind u this is air temp that I am talking about. The road temp is probably around 50degrees.

I think one of the best ways I learned about my car was to try different pressures and see which best suited my driving style and road situation. There is no real right or wrong. The recommended numbers is just a starting point.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I own a 04 CC and the tires are 235x40x18 front and 265x35x18 rear

Factory reccomends 29psi all around, but I agree with Lung7707 that 29psi is too much on the low side... given the "boooootiful" roads here I went to 32psi all around. The increased preassure will help protect my rims from taking a too strong hit if I happen to fall in a hole.

I would reccomend you check what is the reccomended preassure range on your tires and pick your own number taking into account the conditions of the roads on where you drive and also the kind of driving you do.

·
Registered
291 Posts
After many changes, the best settings for me (precision, grip, wear) are 33 psi front and 28 psi rear... I have a 02' CC with stock wheels.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I realized that once u get 4 people into the car the rear characteristics changes dramatically. I was told by the agent that the factory specs are taking into account 4 adults in the car.

So if u are like me... The Lone Ranger, then the tire pressure surely has to change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts