Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,
I get into my 02 coupe this morning and cut on the A/C and it never got cool. After I come to a stop at a light I cut it off and back on to see if I hear the compressor engage....no dice. I know it was working fine just last night. I would hate to think my compressor has gone out so before I take that route I would like to know if someone know what relay/fuse I might want to check or any other solution you guys might know of.

... I've got a first date this evening and I would hate to get her hot for the wrong reason...... :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
air frustrations

Funny, today I had the same problem. Drove the car to Michigan on Saturday and was thinking how happy I was with the air conditioner in my 05...blows cold and firm. Then today, I am sitting on LSD sweating my ass off...nothing blowing out of the vents...I eat dinner and start heading back down LSD and still no air. Hit a famous Chicago pothole and bang, the air comes on and blowing hard. I wonder...is there a short or a loose connection (cause of seat problems fixed last month) or was it the fact that I finally got the car up to a speed above 45? Anyhow, I don't suggest pothole hunting but it is frustrating to diagnose.

05 Cambio Coupe
05 VW Phaeton

·
Registered
513 Posts
always drive sober!

"Then today, I am sitting on LSD sweating my ass off...nothing blowing out of the vents...I eat dinner and start heading back down LSD"

for a minute it sounded like a VW bus on a 1970s trip.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Air......

Check your stereo/control console and see if it shows low battery... When it says my battery is low, the AC won't work... Remedy is to reboot the computer following the instructions in the owners manual....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotta love LSD

Yah I was on LSD last night.....and every other night too probably. What color is your coupe I might have seen you out. I seen a silver GS a couple weeks back. Anyways, it sounds like your blower has a short in it but my blower is working fine its just that the clutch on my AC wont engage. I dont know what fuse or relay is for the A/C or the clutch. I think I'll slide under it today and see if I can run a hot to the clutch and make it engage. If I can get that far at least I know its not the unit and thenI'll just have to work my way back.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your stereo/control console and see if it shows low battery... When it says my battery is low, the AC won't work... Remedy is to reboot the computer following the instructions in the owners manual....
It will just show Low Battery on the Radio Screen Display? How do I reboot?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Reboot.....

I will post the reboot sequence tonight when I get home.... It's in the manual and many others here may beat me to post it here.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will post the reboot sequence tonight when I get home.... It's in the manual and many others here may beat me to post it here.
No body beat you yet.... ;(

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Okay, here is the short part of it....

Open the windows, make sure the ignition is off, open the trunk, open the lid to the battery, turn the cut out switch to the battery to the off position for a few minutes, then turn it back on... Get back in the car and start it up, see what the air conditioning does....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yah I was on LSD last night.....and every other night too probably. What color is your coupe I might have seen you out. I seen a silver GS a couple weeks back. Anyways, it sounds like your blower has a short in it but my blower is working fine its just that the clutch on my AC wont engage. I dont know what fuse or relay is for the A/C or the clutch. I think I'll slide under it today and see if I can run a hot to the clutch and make it engage. If I can get that far at least I know its not the unit and thenI'll just have to work my way back.
Enough of the air conditioning problems - how was the first "hot" date?

Yous vicariously ....

·
Registered
52 Posts
my air

Haven't had a chance to play with the air yet...quick trip to Biloxi for some gambling. As for my car, it is grigio silver and I live in oldtown....not a GS though, Coupe optioned out with GS wheels and seats. There was a GS located in south loop that was for sale, also grigio silver...not sure if it still around. my plates are "4pt8sec" and from michigan. Say hi if you get the chance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A/c

is there a letter "E" on the external temp display ? it will alternate between the current temp outside and "E".

Happens on mine very occassionally and a swith off and back on always clears it.

Anyone know what this means ?

CJ

·
Registered
339 Posts
is there a letter "E" on the external temp display ? it will alternate between the current temp outside and "E".

Happens on mine very occassionally and a swith off and back on always clears it.

Anyone know what this means ?

CJ
Having spent 6+ months dealing with the various "E" codes and then the AC not working, I feel your pain. Ended up being a combination ofmany things, mostly a problem with the temp air sensor in the drives side mirror, a cracked flap inside the control unit (had to take apart the entire dash to get to it), and a broken AC compressor. Again, I can't thank the tech's at Algar enough as they never gave up on the car and kept going back in when MNA told them to give up. In the end, all repairs were done under warranty and I have AC again.

The problem you're describing is the symptom of the faulty air temp sensor. If you're under warranty, have your dealer look at it. If not, try to notice if it only comes on when the engine is hot/cold, outside temp is hot/cool, if the car is moving, and how fast.

It was explained to me that the sensor is placed there because it's the coolest spot on the car to get an accurate reading while driving.

If you get the "E" while you're sitting in slow moving traffic, the air flow doesn't move the hot air off the engine/hood well enough and that sensor gets engine air instead of fresh air, it's reading conflicts with the other air sensors on the car and you can get the "E" temp.

If the "E" comes on only when you turn on the AC system, i's most likely a fault with the compressor/hardware.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I doubled Up!

Enough of the air conditioning problems - how was the first "hot" date?

Yous vicariously ....
What day was that...Oh yah, Tuesday.

Well I got tied up working and I had another date earlier in the day so I had to cancel the late night "appointment". But I figured since I was already out why go straight home (30 mins away). So I went to Bennigans and sat at the bar & had a Monte Cristo (the only thing I order) and a drink. THEN, this young lady walks in with I guess her mother. She was as fine as frog hair (my gradfather always says that so I figured I'd use) She sat on the other side of the bar and I just observed her, her conversation, her demeanor, her 4th finger on her left hand ;) Long story short after they finished I told the Bar Tender to bring me the bill and right after that he brought me her number :) So thats who I'm taking to lunch today and lastnight the other new one I had to cancel called me so looks like she's my 2nd lunch date for the day.

BUT I still dont have any damn A/C. I'm about to goto the gargage and tinker with it or else I might be taking the S-type..... :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no owners manual

I do not have the owners manual for my car so can someone tell me which fuse and relay are for the A/C and Clutch? I figure if the fuse is could I'll jump the relay and see what happens and roll from there.

·
Registered
518 Posts
How hot is it? Drive with the windows open going 80 MPH.... You may mess up her hair... but you'll be in a maserati :]
Besides if you play your cards right her hair will be way more messed up from end of evening festivities then from the car ride!

·
Registered
203 Posts
If the "E" comes on only when you turn on the AC system, i's most likely a fault with the compressor/hardware.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Hi Ron - from memory it's only when the car is started up from cold and switching on and off again after a few miles seems to cure it. The car's climate control won't work irrespective of the a/c being on or off, so I guess it's a faulty sensor. Do I just remove the drivers' mirror glass and find it in there ?

Cheers

CJ

1 - 20 of 26 Posts