Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help will be much appreciated:

I did about 2-3 sprinted driving and then a couple of minutes later I heard a clunking sound. l didn't pay any mind to it, because I thought something was on my tire. Took it to the tire guy he jacked up both sides and said the diff is making the noise.

Car symptoms: 0-20 mph no noise 20+ there is a sound as if there is a nail on the tire slamming every rotation. Then I did a little highway driving now the noise is audible from 0-20 and gets louder.
Took it to a mechanic shop, he said diff is bad or it could be a bearing between the diff and the drive shaft either was dif have to come down.

Does anyone know what the steps are to remove the diff? Special tools? Cost? Should I have someone rebuild it or buy new/used diff?
I plan on doing it myself with my mechanic friend.

3,981 Posts
You need to slow down honestly....Bearings and diffs don't go bad like that all of sudden ....Sounds like something has come loose...Check your axle shaft bolts, drive shaft bolts, and center support bearings...Jason

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for always coming to the rescue, I was hoping for your guidance. In 2 years I drove only 4k miles and it was just 1-2 sprints.
I just spoke to the mechanic, he said to tell you the noise is coming from the diff. He put his hand on it and stethoscope on it.
Any shortcuts to remove the diff?

3,981 Posts
I can't argue with a person that can actually see and touch something in this internet world...Sometimes stuff just fails, but that is pretty odd. I would just let him handle it at this point...Jason

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not seen any fail diff yet. Btw is there any easy way to remove the diff or do I have to remove the hub?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We went to take out the diff and realize we didn't have the socket to remove the axle and after further inspection, we have no clue where the noise is coming from. The sound and vibration is traveling. I made a little video. Any ideas?

Also, what is the socket size/type to remove the axle?
The plan now is to take one axle out at a time to help isolate the noise

·
Registered
140 Posts
If grease is coming out of the axle shaft bolt holes your seals are gone, I would check the knuckle after you disconnect, good chance you had one go bad, it happened to me, I posted about it last fall. Maybe nothing wrong with your diff

3,981 Posts
Wasn't
This is what mine looked l like View attachment 131456
Wasn't your axle just loose? That grease is from the CV joint itself...As far as this repair I would have gone about it a different way honestly...Check the axles shafts for being tight first off. Drain diff fluid and inspect for chips of teeth etc...Like I said diff problems are usually bearing related and not broken teeth or anything...The metal is extremely hard on the gears etc...Jason

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah it was loose but because it was loose the seals inside started leaking because it wasn't being held tight together. If grease is coming out of the bolt holes I wonder if something is broken in that knuckle making the clicking sound as well as forcing the grease out somewhere it shouldn't come out

3,981 Posts
There isn't any seals...You have the metal cap on the end and then the flange on the CV boot..It is a metal to metal seal...In your case it was leaking because it was loose so you lost your metal to metal seal....J

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah it was loose but because it was loose the seals inside started leaking because it wasn't being held tight together. If grease is coming out of the bolt holes I wonder if something is broken in that knuckle making the clicking sound as well as forcing the grease out somewhere it shouldn't come out
Thank you for the advice what were your symptoms?

3,981 Posts
It is actually grease...It is nasty so keep rags near...It is coming from inside that joint, but it can leak in the bolts like that if the bolts are tight....Your set-up with the with the electric impact and all that length of extensions is not gonna cut it...You are loosing all your power in that length of extensions...You need to use 1/2 drive stuff with a hand ratchet and all the axle shafts bolts need to be tight...Mark each one with a sharpie to make sure you don't miss one..J

·
Registered
140 Posts
I heard a click when changing directions (ie going from forward to reverse or vise versa). Also noticed a greasy mess that was oozing out of the joint while driving making a big mess. I ended up putting on a new shaft to play it safe, though I probably could had got away with repacking the old one with new grease and making sure it was tight. I played it a safe, didn't want to take the chance that something else was wrong with it

1 - 20 of 61 Posts