Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 GS Spyder and was thinking about installing an aftermarket, in-dash Kenwood NAV system. Has anyone done this themselves? Does anyone have any advice on whether trying this on my own would be a mistake or if I am better off letting an aftermarket shop do the work?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Drew,

I will recommend that a professional install it, but I will also say finding one is going to be the hard part. Only a handful of people respect things and would do a great job. The rest are just init for the quick turn arond of money. The quality of installers has gone down the tube meanwhile ghetto shops are increasing labor dollars for a sub par job.

Look into

http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/index.php

With any questions you have, I go by the name Jbondox on there. or email them to me and I will see what help I can provide.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Drew,

Please let us other GS owners know how it turns out. I was thinking of a flip-up Alpine nav w/bluetooth but was worried the screen would shake itself loose. Haven't looked at Kenwood yet.

TIA,

Deane

·
Registered
909 Posts
A possible alternative is the pioneer premier unit which also has accelerometers built in (lateral and accel\brake G meters), as well as RPM gauges etc.

Plus they have ipod, bluetooth, and other integration built in.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/division/demo/0,,2076_310069681,00.html#unit=AVIC N3&section=AUDIO / VIDEO&feat=VEHICLE DYNAMICS

We had an ML55 that had one of these in it, and it was pretty sweet. It'd be way cooler in a GS though.

"If you're into vehicle performance, the AVIC-N3 lets you show it. Each AVIC-N3 is equipped with sensors that can track your vehicle's performance while you're driving. The digital gauges display speed, acceleration G's, lateral G's, slope, angular velocity, battery voltage, and direction - all in real time.

The Vehicle Dynamics Display has a peak hold function to quickly see the maximum values recorded. The full-color gauges are available in several different finishes and can be displayed in either day or night time modes.

Show off your vehicle's performance with the AVIC-N3."

·
Registered
52 Posts
You got to be kidding? I thought this was a Maserati forum not a Honda? That is kids stuff. When you drive, you drive... you know what the car is doing. Your not looking at a screen saying wow I have a 3G turn. People are professional that have these vehicles.

I went the Pioneer route, nothing but gadgets, low quality, always had issues, high warranty return rate... it was a nightmare. switched to Alpine and in the past 16 months, we had one Vhub go bad, and it was our fault.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will let you all know how it turns out - it goes in Monday. Met with the installer today and I have good confidence. They have done a few Ferrari's and Bentley's recently, so I am feeling comfortable. Going with the Kenwood PNAV 617 unit (nav + bluetooth + XM). The Alpine looked great but was a bit more money and didn't seem to provide enough difference for the $.

·
Registered
52 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
I was just throwing out another option.
I've personally had good luck with Pioneer head units.

73s
de
KC0DCP

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

LMAO

touché

·
Registered
52 Posts
drewgroel said:
I will let you all know how it turns out - it goes in Monday. Met with the installer today and I have good confidence. They have done a few Ferrari's and Bentley's recently, so I am feeling comfortable. Going with the Kenwood PNAV 617 unit (nav + bluetooth + XM). The Alpine looked great but was a bit more money and didn't seem to provide enough difference for the $.

Well they showed you what was in stock, because the Navigation diffrences are night and day. Alpine has more to offer navigation wise, is more accurate, more POI's, better graphics, voice control over the whole system, I could go on and on, Kenwood's nav isn't a Kenwood nav, the whole unit is someone elses and doesn't even use a speed pulse for vehicle input, it rely's solely on satelite for position.

Also when a new technology comes out, it is backwards compatible

the new IVA D105,872a NAV, and the new Bluetooth interface will have you a happy camper, might have to wait an extra week or two, but it will be well worth it.

I also do Kenwood, but quality is Alpine. I also want to say I like the Kenwood rep, and hate the pricks at Alpine. :)

Also the Kenwood is a Garmin piece

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I was just throwing out another option.
I've personally had good luck with Pioneer head units.

73s
de
KC0DCP

Image uploading. Refresh page to view
Holy crap! You're a ham? Been one since.. Nevermind HI!. I used the LW setting to QSL a 10,000 watt station in Italy on 189 kHz. Among megawatt stations, that's amazing in itself. Need to go home to get the call sign and exact freq. That brings up a diversity question.... Do all bands utilize the diversity antennae? with the Internet and instant information, seems like the hams and DX'ers are dieing off.

de
N5VUG

·
Registered
52 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
Holy crap! You're a ham? Been one since.. Nevermind HI!. I used the LW setting to QSL a 10,000 watt station in Italy on 189 kHz. Among megawatt stations, that's amazing in itself. Need to go home to get the call sign and exact freq. That brings up a diversity question.... Do all bands utilize the diversity antennae? with the Internet and instant information, seems like the hams and DX'ers are dieing off.

de
N5VUG

theyare dying off for sure, heard that morse code has been dropped also. if there is ever a catastrophic event, i am sure we all are going to be holding useless cell phones, why one guy in alaska is dot and dashing away asking why no one is picking up the phone...

BTW the vehicle belongs to kellen Winslow Jr, it is what he envisioned, we made it a reality... also it will smoke a QP... supercharged 6 litre with head and cam, custom exhaust ... at 800hp and all wheel drive. plus the nitrous...

however it is a death trap of a vehicle and is everywhere on the road out of control... unlike the QP

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've been a HAM since highschool (Taught by NI0X, and my step dad's call is KA0GOG). Tech Plus is what my license is now, but it's coming up on renewal time, and I'm not sure if I'm grandfathered in where I am now, or if I get switched to the new license structure. I did pass the 5wpm Morse test, but I think that's been entirely dropped within the last month or two.

I honestly haven't been very active at all in the last few years. I did SKYWARN on 2m after highschool, and was pretty active on 10m while the sunspots were friendly. During that time I carried 10m radio's and wire antennas into the boundary waters and Montana. Talking to brazil on 10w from the middle of the Boundary waters was pretty cool.

(fun fact though - Mazda car alarms say mazda security system or something along those lines in Morse)

Actually this has kind of inspired me to dig out the Icom 2AT and see who's on..

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've been a HAM since highschool (Taught by NI0X, and my step dad's call is KA0GOG). Tech Plus is what my license is now, but it's coming up on renewal time, and I'm not sure if I'm grandfathered in where I am now, or if I get switched to the new license structure. I did pass the 5wpm Morse test, but I think that's been entirely dropped within the last month or two.

I honestly haven't been very active at all in the last few years. I did SKYWARN on 2m after highschool, and was pretty active on 10m while the sunspots were friendly. During that time I carried 10m radio's and wire antennas into the boundary waters and Montana. Talking to brazil on 10w from the middle of the Boundary waters was pretty cool.

(fun fact though - Mazda car alarms say mazda security system or something along those lines in Morse)

Actually this has kind of inspired me to dig out the Icom 2AT and see who's on..
LOL! I still have an 02AT somwhere. Seems like a boat anchor compared to some of the new ones. I'm also a Tech + with 5wpm (the + part). My HF rig is a Yaesu FT747. I guess all of Tech + guys work 2 and 10M. I used to enjoy QRP and antenna design. Now I enjoy my new wife and my new Maserati :D

·
Registered
909 Posts
I did some optical radio development.. Started with flash lights, solar panels, morse keys, and some wrapping paper tubes, and eventually moved to voice modulated lasers and old telescopes. I had a laser based two-way radio that worked over half a mile by the time I was done. It used the cheap laser pen lights from target, mounted where the alignment site of the telescope originally was, and the red-sensitive solar panel was where the eyepiece of the telescope once was. The radio circuitry was pretty basic with a simple voice to light modulator \ demodulator circuit, and a minimal amplification circuit. Lining the whole thing up was a bit of a trick, but once it was dialed in you wouldn't know it wasnt just radio. Quality as good as the modulation \ demodulation circuitry would give you. I had started to switch my voice systems over to data but ran out of free time.

At that time the military's record distance for a laser based radio was something like 5 miles, but I think there is a lot of new developments in that area of radio comm. NASA is building a system to talk to it's mars orbiters over a laser comm link that will give it much bigger bandwidth at only 5w of power.

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/laser.html
http://www.qsl.net/wb9ajz/laser/laser.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts