Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I''ve read the threads posted regarding this issue. However, I have heard very little from anyone who has made a change regarding the "livability" of the change. Is the sound change subtle or substantial. Does is get bothersome if you drive a lot?

Did you notice a change is performance.

Which system did you install and why?

Pipes too or not?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm curious too. Especially about the Larini exhaust

·
Registered
280 Posts
Larini on my o4 manual, NOT CC

I just put the Larini on my coupe; mufflers only, NOT X pipe; it is loud enough! The guy who installed it for me said many suit types(doctors, lawyers, etc) come back days later and tell him to take all the other stuff off or put back the resonator, etc. For me the exhaust was just enough noise; sounds great under throttle and there is some"drone" in the cabin at low creeping speed; could not imagine any more noise for me....just my opinion, PS I do love the Larini.........dogdoc

·
Registered
255 Posts
Had Tubi boxes fitted to my 4200 cc nearly 2 years ago - because so many people on this board were raving about the sound they made. And they were absolutely correct - the engine note is fantastic. I would recommend it if you enjoy the sound of the V8 as the stock system is very quiet inside the car.

I understand there are 3 "levels" of Tubi: Race which is very loud, Sport which is about as loud as you would want on the street, and normal which is much like the stock exhaust. I have the Sport version.

When new there is significant resonant "booming" around 2-3K rpm (change down to remove this!) The note distinctly softens and mellows as you put a few thousand miles on.

(and you will never need the hi-fi again!)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had my Quicksilver sport exhaust installed the second day I had my car. It is the greatest change I have ever done for an automobile the sound is deep and throaty and opens into this excellent scream at high rpm...I think I am the only one on this board that has fitted a QS box so I will try to get a sound clip when i have a moment. I am planning on eventually installing an X-Pipe and possibly cat delete pipes too.

I don't find it too loud but I have grown up with loud sports cars (my last car was an LS-1 Trans Am with 3" straight pipe from the headers back)

·
Registered
518 Posts
no resonation or in cabin vibration...the exhaust does sound signifigantly better after you put a few hundred miles on it though

·
Registered
722 Posts
...the exhaust does sound signifigantly better after you put a few hundred miles on it though
Because of hearing loss?? Exhausts have no moving parts, hard to imagine that "breaking it in" would make any difference.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Because of hearing loss?? Exhausts have no moving parts, hard to imagine that "breaking it in" would make any difference.
Welllll

there are three types of exhaust designs

First is a baffle design this uses shaped walls of metal to divert the gasses in a box when you divert said gasses you also divert the sound traveling with them reflecting it in another direction this quiets the sound by changing the direction and frequency of the sound wave

Second is a packed canister design these are usually packed with glass fiber or metal filament to muffle sound these exhausts function by impeding rather then redirecting flow (kind of like sticking a finger in your ear) These mufflers will have a tendency to change tone over time as the packing settles in the muffler...if there are any old hot rodders on here i am sure they have done the gasoline in a cherry bomb muffler to blow out the fiberglass packing this is an extreme version of the same principle

Third is a Hybrid of the two which is what a Quicksilver box is (two stage baffle section followed by stainless steel fillament in a perfed chamber) after a few hundred miles the stainless will settle in the perfed section which will make the exaust a little throatier when she sits on idle

·
Registered
518 Posts
No problem, I am just a huge car nerd man if they ever had an obscure automotive fact section on Jepoardy I would kick ass...alas until that day I am pretty well hosed

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tubi

I had a Tubi exhaust on my 2006 Gransport. The pro of the exhaust was that it sounded great - one of my buddies was moved to childish gigles of excitement wheni would tuen the engine over. Enhanced performance. But here are the negatives - 1- Everyone hears you comming - at times the noise demands a bit more attention than you might like. 2- with windows up it is very difficult to hear music or have a conversation and hence ... 3 - if you are driving for 30 miles or more you leave the car feeling exhausted and with a headache and 4 - causes some internal vibrations and rattles.

After 4 months with the Tubi, I had it removed. I still go back and forth on that decision, but every passenger i ever had in that car has agreed that it was the right move.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I had a Tubi exhaust on my 2006 Gransport. The pro of the exhaust was that it sounded great - one of my buddies was moved to childish gigles of excitement wheni would tuen the engine over. Enhanced performance. But here are the negatives - 1- Everyone hears you comming - at times the noise demands a bit more attention than you might like. 2- with windows up it is very difficult to hear music or have a conversation and hence ... 3 - if you are driving for 30 miles or more you leave the car feeling exhausted and with a headache and 4 - causes some internal vibrations and rattles.

After 4 months with the Tubi, I had it removed. I still go back and forth on that decision, but every passenger i ever had in that car has agreed that it was the right move.
What kind of Tubi it was, the louder version (Race)?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Tubi Exhaust

Just Picked Up An 06 Spyder 900 Miles With Tubi Exhaust Sounds Incredible,but I Am Concerned Looking On You Tube With All The Ferraris Catching On Fire Saying Not To Modify The Exhaust Systems Because Of Possible Fires. Anyone Hear Ot His

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tubi

I've had a Tubi for a while and it is, excepting the Formula Dynamics springs, unquestionably, the best thing I have ever done to the car. There is a slight drone when first installed, but this dissipates with mileage. Also, as a matter of psycho-acoustics, you will simply get used to and not really hear it after a while. Even on day one, I did not find it obnoxious or headache inducing; it has mellowed nicely since then. The droning is largely due to the placement of the Center Resonator, which is right under the center console, and not the Tubi boxes at the rear of the car.
The Tubi also reduces back pressure on the exhaust system, and is much more free-flowing than the restrictive, stock mufflers; this alone is worth about 7hp to the car. Even if none of this were true, the glorious, deep V8 growl it produces would be worth the price; there is nothing like it. For what its worth, I have an even louder version of the Tubi on my 599; there is only one sound level of Tubi made for the CC Coupe.
I'd love to know how old you guys are if its producing headaches!
You should definetly listen for yourself, if possible, before deciding.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
85 Posts
What exhaust???

Had the Tubi sport exhaust put on '02 Coupe' just 4 weeks ago by Tubi dealer in Charleston, SC...I love it! I immediately drove it over 100 miles within 24 hours. The resonance became deeper and throatier. My wife and 3 girls love the sound also as they followed me back home and got to hear it passing them a few times. It does resonate in the cabin between 2-2800 rpm's but I can live with that as long as I hear it when cranked, hear the "sweet music" when driving, and hear the music from a different perspective when someone else drives by (that has only happened once!). I would not hesitate to do it again...expensive, but well worth it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've had the tubi on my car for about 3 years now. RJInvest is correct, there is only one version available from Tubi. I think the confusion started when they came out with the gransport version as standard equipment.

The tubi enhances the exhaust sound. It is not, at all, overwhelming and it compliments the car. I too was very hesitant about installing a tubi because I wasnt sure about drone issues, but can tell you that it is not an issue.

Ive taken the car on long drives from LA to N. California and there is no issue about fatigue from any increased sound levels. If you do not want to hear the exhaust, then you should leave the standard muffler in place.

·
Registered
63 Posts
...All true GregD; and remember guys, that the GS has a Tubi as stock WITHOUT the Center Resonator that is on all the other Coupes/Spyders. This makes the car noticiably louder. Look carefully to see if the people complaining about the noise have the GS!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tubi

I have the GS. Tubi was, like i said, great but very loud. I am 34. I have a wife and child that are the endless source of headache and a career to match. People could hear me from 2 blocks away. Late at night waking up neighbors and alerting everyone to turn and look at me got a bit old. On the otherhand, it made the car feel a bit more like a "super car." Its just a matter of taste. For me, after a while I had it removed for the stock GS system. It made for a more civilized experience on longer rides.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts