Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can buy aftermarket Fram, Purolator, etc oil & air filters for my 02 Maserati Coupe? I've been buying the Maserati oil filter from the dealer but the price is sky high. I don't believe that Maserati actually has a special oil filter manufactured for their cars. Most likely, Maserati just buys a FIAT or Alfa, or some other oil filter and has it painted with the Maserati name (even Maserati wouldn't be foolish enough to have a special design for no purpose when an existing design will serve as well for less $ ... would they?) . If someone can break the code and has a cross reference between the different filters then it should be easy to buy a FIAT/Alfa/etc filter that is the exact same thing as the Maserati filter but only pay $5 or $10 for it at Pep Boys.

Same thing for air filters. My guess is that Maserati found an existing air filter design for a FIAT/Alfa/etc & just slapped the Maserati name on it so they can sell it for 10 times the regular price at the dealer. Any ideas?

While I'm on the subject, my guess is the same thing goes for brakes. Maserati doesn't manufacture brake pads or calipers or rotors. I think the calipers are made by Brembo, probably the OEM rotors are made by Brembo as well. My guess is that Brembo didn't hire a bunch of engineers & buy tooling to make a Maserati unique caliper & rotor when they got the contract to supply Maserati brake systems. They just went to one of their existing designs & picked one that would work good on a Maserati Coupe/Spyder & that is what is on the car. Most likely, the brakes on a Maserati Coupe are exactly the same thing as what is on some model of FIAT or Alfa or etc. If anyone has a cross reference to the FIAT/Alfa part number then it's no longer necessary to pay $200 for a set of Maserati Brake Pads; all you have to do is buy the same thing on the aftermarket for FIAT for $50 or $75 (probably with better quality). Same thing with rotors, calipers, etc.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Air Filter...

Buy the BMC filter from Jeff at Formula Dynamics and it will be in service long after we are all gone... As for oil filters, I go to Scott Clenaghan at Park Place Maserati in Dallas and it get's here for $26.00 including the shipping. Brakes you go to Jeff at Formula Dynamics as well, 200.00 or less get's you better pads than you can get from Maserati and Ali and Jeff had a killer special here not long ago, for like $150.00 for all four wheels.. As for the oil filter, it's a metric threaded filter, not a Fram or anything like that but there is a thread here you can search for who will tell you the manufacturer.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Maserati does have a special filter made for their engines, I'm not aware of an equivalent and with all the failures that FRAM has seen with Hi performance applications such as having the internals sucked out of the filter and leaking gaskets. I would spend the few extra bucks for the right filter.

Don't get me wrong, oil filters are not rocket science and I've been using FRAM for years but I've also seen many problems over the years, $28 bucks on an oil filter really isn't that bad.

I contacted the manufacturer of the oil filter directly to see if I could just order them. However when they went to actually sell a case to me they said "wait a second, the notes in the system say we can only sell these to Ferrari" for xx years" I believe it was 7 years but don't quote me. If this is true then we could order the filter for the 2002 4200 in another year.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Filter

When did they start selling the 4200 in Europe? The US 02 to 06 bodystyle was sold over there starting in the latter 90's. Plus, that engine is used in other cars. So, I wonder if it might be that the filter was designed over 7 years ago and is out of copyright now.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The # printed on the filter is 188814 by Purflux, there is another code LS332. It's the nicest stock oil filter I've seen in a long, long time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil Filter Code

It seems that the LS332 number is Purflux's model number. The !88 number is the Maserati Part number. I imagine a cross reference to an aftermarket number would use the LS332 number.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Don't skimp on the oil filter...

I once cut open a used LS332 from the maser and a used fram from a POS beater car and lets just say the fram looks cheap enough for them to have a profit margin even selling to wallmart as cheap as possible. The LS332 looks like it was built as well as the transmission and hydraulic filters I have worked with on helicopters and multimillion dollar fighter jets.

Considering the cost of synthetic getting the OEM oil filter is not that much to spend in the total cost of an oil change.

If I could find an air filter in a cross reference that worked I would consider that and change them much more often.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Where do you guys order your oil filter kits from? Prices seemed to have gone up to $35 each from all the places I've seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts