Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I looked into aftermarket warranty for my Coupe and was told by several companies that none is offered. I guess potential for high $$$ repairs doesnt make it worth their effort. I fear we are on our own.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i was told the same and that was by the salesman, i asked and he said between us don't waste your $'s, those non fact warranties for these cars 90% of the time don't cover what typically would or could go wrong if you had issues - if anyone knows better tho I'm interested too....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Genuine Warranty

Maserati of Long Island sold me an after market warranty from Genuine Warranty. They claim to have investigated the company and have made claims that have been paid. I bought a 3 year policy for $4,300. I hope thewy are still there when I need them. Please let me know about the Toyota policy this one is refundable as long as I don't make a claim like to see the coverage comparison

·
Registered
439 Posts
Here is a quote I received today from an authorized Maserati dealer via e-mail in regards to an after market warranty for a car they had for sale that I was interested in.

"I know this may sound strange, but we do not recommend the extended warrantee. It is very expensive and is only for catastrophic failure of the engine and transmission. It does not cover clutch, leaks, electrical, rubber components – really nothing like the factory warrantee that comes with the car. This catastrophic failure insurance is what is provided through Maserati. We do not sell after market warrantees nor do I have any information on what is currently available for High End vehicles since we can’t sell it to our customers. I understand your hesitancy, on the other hand, due to the very low mileage, it is very much a new car that has been meticulously serviced. The chance of any catastrophic failure is highly unlikely.
Let me know if you have any further questions".

·
Registered
624 Posts
CNN's Tom Clark Reports

Today on CNN's Morning Express (Robin's show, we all know rockin' Robin..whew..), the consumer guy Tom Clark came on and said do NOT buy extended warranties from anyone other than the mfg b'c he said these for the most part from fly by night "marketing companies" and they "aren't worth the paper they're written on." He went on to say, as mentioned earlier in the thread that cos make more money on these policies and that's why some push them and that the promise of a refund if you don't use it is a pure gimmick and in a recent case they reviewed people who bought one of these programs were trying to no avail to get refunds for the last 6 years. JBerg, hopefully your guys at GWarranty are different, they sure have a very convincing web-site, if you find this is the case please keep us posted but thought all might be intersted in the CNN report.

·
Registered
160 Posts
BTW I had a catastrophic engine failure at 44,000 miles

Maserati covered it but rest assured if it had been 50,001 miles they would not have. I am relying on the dealer reputation they have sold alot of these. It could be a ponzi scheme but the dealer will have a lot of egg on thier face sincce they represented that they checked out the company

·
Registered
250 Posts
Maserati of Long Island sold me an after market warranty from Genuine Warranty. They claim to have investigated the company and have made claims that have been paid. I bought a 3 year policy for $4,300. I hope thewy are still there when I need them. Please let me know about the Toyota policy this one is refundable as long as I don't make a claim like to see the coverage comparison
This is the first postive posting I've ever seen about Genuine Warranty. See my post on 8/15/08 linking the FChat discussion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Vehicle Service Contracts for Exotics.....

Hello All,

A "Vehicle Service Contract" or even "Vehicle Repair Plan" would be acceptable but in no way can you ever call something a warranty and then charge for it. The law is very clear, just visit FTC.org and see for yourself. Warranties are part of the basis of the bargain and are included at no charge to the consumer, if you charge for coverage then it would be a VSC (Vehicle service Contract).

There is also no such thing as "Bumper to bumper", not even from a manufacturer, all coverages whether they be VSC's or Warranties are "Limited" in other words there are always items not covered, like a clutch on a new vehicle is not covered as we all know if we have a Maser.

Almost all VSC's are state regulated and are insured by some very large insurance companies. Some states have "dealer obligor" which means that if the insurance company goes out of business then the dealer is responsible for coverage. Maryland and Virginia are administrator obligor not as good.

Some after market VSC companies are very good, GE has a policy and even companies like APCO with the EasyCare product are very good, also GEICO and ALLSTATE have them, most of the big players won't touch an exotic car they are too risky/costly. If you can get a Toyota VSC then do it they are very good. It is almost impossible to find coverage for a vehicle that does not have at least some factory warranty coverage remaining. The reason being that if you could buy a VSC for a used older car then everyone would do it when the engine is on its last legs and then make a claim. The other important thing is that most Maser dealers won't fix the car under an unknown VSC unless they pay in advance, which they won't. The best thing to do is lots of research and read the small print on the back of the contract. Most VSC won't cover pre existing conditions and they mostly also will only replace the part with "like kind and quality" which could be reconditioned or even used.

How do I know all this? I was a rep for several major VSC companies and even some manufacturers programs for many years and my wife is VP of a very large auto dealer group.

A VSC even for $3000 for one year on a Maser is a great idea in my opinion, they are very unreliable and break all the time, one F1 pump is around $3K alone. A window regulator repair is about $1500 from a Maser dealer. If you drive the car 1000 miles a year then don't get one, but if like me you drive a maser every day then you need this if you can get it. I did not find any reputable companies selling VSC's for exotics.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi Martin,

Thx for the 411, I will def be ISO of coverage like that If indeed it's available b'c as you suggest it may not be....oh and BTW, do not trade, keep your '64, I have an '85, daily driver, low mileage, incredible lines and great curves but the maintenance is very hi...and upkeep costs.. off the hook! (Even compared to an F1 pump and window motor).

S-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.